Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

talking about the “untouchable”

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by studegator, Mar 25, 2024.

1. studegator

studegator GC Legend

Feb 24, 2008
    Veterans disability—-
    I’ll start by saying I’m a vet, AirForce worked on F4 Phantoms.

What I am having trouble understanding, is that I know several vets whom worked full careers of 40 or more years, Then retired drawing retirement and SS checks. Started going to the VA and are now declared “disabled” and drawing 100% disability checks (45,000+per year) from the VA.
    If they weren’t disabled before, how can they suddenly become disabled and drawing full disability checks paid for by us taxpayers?
    bumfuzzed —-
    These are the same people I used to hear complain about welfare recipients——

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. vaxcardinal

vaxcardinal GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Does it have to do with the way disability is defined?

3. l_boy

l_boy 5500

Jan 6, 2009
    I can’t possibly comment on this based on some generic anecdote. Mental health issues are difficult. Some physical disabilities become more acute later in life. They are now finding that some people exposed to a lot of “routine” explosions have negative effects on their brains. CTE often gets worse with age. Look at some of these football players 2 decades after they retire. So it is certainly plausible that someone could work for years and later succumb to disability. Whether that happened here or not I couldn’t possibly know.

Profound Damage Found in Maine Gunman’s Brain, Possibly From Blasts

• Winner Winner x 1
  4. BigCypressGator1981

BigCypressGator1981 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 11, 2011
    Vets are some of the last people I’m worried about taking advantage of Uncle Sam. If anyone has earned it…

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Winner Winner x 3
  5. CaptUSMCNole

CaptUSMCNole Premium Member

May 23, 2007
    NCR
    Sounds like these people had conditions that they lived with that were service related but never put in a claim with the VA until later in life when their service related conditions became much more acute.

If the DoD broke you, they have to pay for it. Simple as that.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. gator_lawyer

gator_lawyer VIP Member

Oct 30, 2017
    People's bodies tend to break down as they age.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. vegasfox

vegasfox GC Legend

Feb 4, 2024
    Guy I know gets VA disability, SS and NYC cop pension. $252K a year. Almost $700/day.

He got hit by 3 mortars in Vietnam. Has PTSD and has nightmares every night. Rods in 3 or 4 extremities. Killed many people in Vietnam, was part of an 8 man team ,(with dogs) that secured perimeter of soldier encampments. Was told to take no prisoners.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  8. QGator2414

QGator2414 VIP Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Ocala
    My dad was a back seater in the RF-4…

Cool planes but maintenance nightmares.

9. uftaipan

uftaipan GC Hall of Fame

May 31, 2007
    Land o' Lakes, FL
    Yes. It’s not the same as, say, worker’s comp disability. It’s a complex formula (I don’t understand it myself) that computes the damage one’s body took as a direct result of service. It doesn’t mean, for instance, that if you’re “100% disabled” that you’re 100% incapable of working.

10. magnetofsnatch

magnetofsnatch Rudy Ray Moore’s Idol Premium Member

Apr 10, 2020
    North Florida
    Minds too.

11. l_boy

l_boy 5500

Jan 6, 2009
    The Mortality Rate of 100% Service-Connected U.S. Veterans

The study found the overall average age at death for all 100% service-connected U.S. veterans is 67 years of age. When separated by gender, the average age at death for all female 100% service-connected U.S. veterans is 63 years of age and the average age at death for all male 100% service-connected U.S. veterans is 68 years of age. The study results demonstrate female 100% service-connected veterans have a 22% diminished life expectancy when compared to the World Bank Data average human (civilian) life expectancy in the United States for females (81 years of age) and male 100% service-connected veterans have a 11% diminished life expectancy when compared to the World Bank Data average human (civilian) life expectancy in the United States for males (76 years of age).

12. studegator

studegator GC Legend

Feb 24, 2008
    I agree. But that is normal aging with everyone.
    It is very weird how the VA determines disability. I have one friend who was part of a two man sniper team in Afghanistan. They were hit with an rpg and one was killed and my friend life flighted to Germany. After all he went thru, the VA will not give him disability, and it’s a sham in my opinion.
    One friend has a “back” issue that suddenly popped up after retirement. This after a full work career. How does one know it was not caused or injured during that time?
    My wife used to work in a state workers compensation department, she uncovered a lot of bs and faked claims during her time there. The fakery was as common as the legitimate claims. Some who were actually injured, she had to practically force them to go see a doctor so they would receive proper care.

13. studegator

studegator GC Legend

Feb 24, 2008
    I read that, but it doesn’t answer the core question concerning the VA designation of disability appointment.
    One ambiguity is the inclusion of heart related disease. How can this be determined to be veteran related at 60 years old for example, when one departed the military at say, 24? I had a vet friend who had a heart attack in his 70’s and was given full VA disability due to “heart disease”. He died in his 90’s.
    I don’t get it——

14. CaptUSMCNole

CaptUSMCNole Premium Member

May 23, 2007
    NCR
    The VA Disability Claims process is a Byzantine process where the VA will often say No the first time just to see if you appeal their initial decision. That is likely what happened with your friend who was a sniper.

The bottom line is that you have to have some record of an injury in your medical records to substantiate a claim with the VA for anything that is not presumptive.

For presumptive conditions, you just have to prove you were in theater for that condition. If you were in Vietnam and have a certain heart related conditions, the VA automatically assumes it is related to your service in Vietnam.

Presumptive conditions typically happen for different reasons. Not sure what the reasoning was for heart conditions in Vietnam but would assume a lot Vietnam vets were having issues and there were enough Vietnam vet politicians that were able to lobby the VA to make it presumptive. The current issue is burn pits. Biden believes his son Beau’s cancer was related to burn pits and his Admin is working with the VA to make certain medical conditions considered presumptive if they could be related to burn pits.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2024
    • Informative Informative x 3
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  15. citygator

citygator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Charlotte
    Hopping on the F4 humble brag… my dad flew F4s. Said it was a great plane as long as you didn’t need to turn. Lol.

As to the OP. I am all for making sure people are not defrauding the government no matter who they are. While nothing is fool proof I think those rules are in place.

16. NavyGator93

NavyGator93 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 4, 2015
    Georgia
    For a retired person, VA disability doesn't change the gross retirement money, but it does change taxes. So, some of my retirement pay is not taxed which is nice, but not a windfall or anything.

I am 20% "disabled" after 21 years of service. For most people that served in my fields (engineering spaces on submarines and flying) that usually comes in the form of hearing loss. I was always super careful with my hearing and suffered no degradation. My doc doing the discharge physical was shocked.

17. studegator

studegator GC Legend

Feb 24, 2008
    We called it the “Flying Brick”, it was a versatile plane.

18. studegator

studegator GC Legend

Feb 24, 2008
    I worked on the flight line. I was careful to always use earplugs or muffs. Unlike some others I worked around.

• Like Like x 1
  19. NavyGator93

NavyGator93 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 4, 2015
    Georgia
    Yeah, I had always heard "The F4 is proof you can make a brick fly if you strap on a big enough engine".

I didn't remember you served, thanks brother. :emoji_punch:

• Like Like x 2
  20. uftaipan

uftaipan GC Hall of Fame

May 31, 2007
    Land o' Lakes, FL
    I wore double hearing protection every time I flew since 2000. Still, my hearing has declined significantly compared to the average person of my age.