Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Taking back our own state!?

Discussion in 'Awesome Recruiting' started by StrangeGator, Jun 4, 2018.

1. DieAGator

DieAGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Right. We are still losing too many battles and seems like some great players commit to out of state school before we are even in the hunt. We have a credibility gap that only great coaching and some big wins will close.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. rpmGator

rpmGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 10, 2007
    If you go home again the start up is quicker

Even Saban didn’t recruit like Saban at the beginning

We keep having to rehire and that means losing continuity with recruits

Last year uga won recruiting but Bama lost a lot of coaches and Saban had less staff to work with

Now that more staff is recruiting again Bama looks like it’s former self

Our recruiting will get back to its former self when we start looking like the Gators again

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. StrangeGator

StrangeGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Chicago
    I was looking at both services. I agree that Rivals is the lesser of the two major services but it's an easier site to navigate when trying to get a snap-shot of data.

Meyer would say "We need to own Florida" but in reality, his classes were heavier on out of state players than any UF coach in my memory. He got us back into Texas and California, and got things going for us in Maryland and Virginia. Mullen is definitely on the "Recruit them where they are" track right now. His first five commits were all from Florida, then the next five were all from out of state. There will be positions that can't be effectively filled with in-state players. We are not competing against five other programs. If we're too determined to focus on Florida players we could end up going after UCF's leftovers.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  4. CaptUSMCNole

CaptUSMCNole GC Hall of Fame

May 23, 2007
    NCR
    It’s been a while but I believe that most of Meyer’s first couple classes where mainly FL/Ga/DMV area. He didn’t start going after Cali talent until after the program was rolling. I could be mistaken on the make up though.

I can understand not making Florida a priority this year as I’ve seen some scouts say this is a down year for elite talent in state. Outside a select group, it makes sense to pursue other options this year. The issue is that the relationships have to be built with in state high school staffs and passing on instate kids for OOS recruits isn’t the best way to start those relationships.

5. bobbybaker86

bobbybaker86 GC Legend

Sep 4, 2017
    Saban had the top rated class going into his 2nd season

• Winner Winner x 1
  6. INGATORSWETRUST

INGATORSWETRUST GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Florida
    Our coaching staff had much less connectivity to State of Florida than FSU and Miami staff. Long time since Mullen moved to MSU. Our TE coach is the only one with recent FL experience. Will take time to get closer to players, families and HS coaches again.

7. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    Even cornyeeth was getting a good class together. Took him s couple years but he was getting it done. Coaching not so much

8. shane4three

shane4three GC Hall of Fame

Dec 24, 2014
    Mullen has always maintained relationships with HS coaches in Florida. TE Coach very highly thought of in Dade and Broward.
    There are definite positives. Gotta grab some Dade, Broward, and Hillsborough kids. Other areas too like J-vile.

9. candymanfromgc

candymanfromgc Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I it were me, looking t next year and beyond,
    1. Florida for obvious reasons.
    2. Georgia, too much talent there to not go after some of it.
    3. The tri state area of Texas/Louisiana/Mississippi. LSU can't sign them all and this staff has a lot of contact in that area.
    4. Cherry pick as best you can.

10. theghost

theghost GC Hall of Fame

Aug 14, 2011
    DC area
    Agree on the list, but honestly we're in pretty good shape w/ a lot of 2020 kids (for some reason), while we're struggling w/ 2019 kids.

If I were Mullen, I'd start by replacing at least 2 assistant coaches and replace them w/ 'recruiters' (go grab one of Saban, Meyer, or Smart's recruiters/assistants). Again, he brought too much of his MSU staff here (and for those that want to argue, go look at that #32 ranking we're holding right now in the recruiting rankings). Then I'd focus on the state, as you mention in #1. McElwain practically conceded Jacksonville to any school that wanted it, so that should become a priority. Tampa/Bradenton/Sarasota, Daytona/Melbourne, Orlando, and Lakeland need to become more of a priority as well. Sure, the Dade County/Miami guys are great, but we usually get the leftovers there. More focus on our bread and butter areas should be the priority. If we do that, we land 10-15 Florida kids - which probably gives us 8+ top 50 FL HS kids each year. Then we can go into Georgia and 'cherry pick' the SE.

11. kryptonite

kryptonite GC Hall of Fame

Dec 12, 2008
    He salvaged his initial class with players from CA, VA, TX, NY, and GA. His bump class (his first class that was really his) had 2 TX, 2 NC, and a VA. In 2007 he again went to CA, IN, MD, NJ, SC, GA, and of course to CT for him of whom we shall not speak. Meyer was and is a national recruiter. We shall see about Mullin as he has a better opportunity to national recruit from UF.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  12. candymanfromgc

Apr 3, 2007
    Good points. You broke it down even more as Mac did give up in Jax for some reason. It makes no sense as UF plays there every year. I would like to see a solid South Florida recruiter added to the staff.

• Like Like x 1
  13. theghost

theghost GC Hall of Fame

Aug 14, 2011
    DC area
    Do you think the Gainesville kid is our 2020 QB?

• Off-topic Off-topic x 1
  14. UF67ee

UF67ee GC Legend

Jul 9, 2007
    georgia has the top talent of any state in the southeast

• Funny Funny x 1
  15. shane4three

Dec 24, 2014
    One would think but somebody will probably say "not enough time to build a relationship with a 15/16 year old ".

• Funny Funny x 1
  16. candymanfromgc

Apr 3, 2007
    Simply put Yes.

17. candymanfromgc

Apr 3, 2007
    They have for the last couple of cycles. Will it continue, I don't know. If you take IGM out of the mix, I am underwhelmed by in State talent this year.

18. gator_fever

gator_fever GC Hall of Fame

Nov 3, 2013
    I thought Mullen would be doing better but he is on track for a #14 or so Mac level mediocre recruiting class if he doesn't pick it up quickly. No excuse to not have a good 2nd class at a place like UF in the state of FL.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  19. bobbybaker86

bobbybaker86 GC Legend

Sep 4, 2017
    Well he hasn't even coached a game yet for a team coming off a 4-7 season. I'm trying to be objective cause i always felt Mullen wouldnt be the ace recruiter out the gate since recruits will want to take a wait and see approach with us but I'll admit, so far it's been a bit of a disappointment

• Like Like x 1
  20. shane4three

Dec 24, 2014
    Too much time in Cali.

Rae kid headed to UCLA
    Pittman our only hope and won't be easy.

• Agree Agree x 1