Welcome home, fellow Gator

...to the Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Take it from a former Division I athlete: College sports are like Jim Crow

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by Ahab, Jan 11, 2018.

1. Ahab

Ahab GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    http://www.latimes.com/opinion/op-ed/la-oe-jackson-college-sports-20180111-story.html

• Informative Informative x 2
  2. MelBeachGator

MelBeachGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    White players don't play college athletics apparently. And this "writer" has no clue about history or the horrible legacy of Jim Crow. Wow.

Dumb article. I'm ashamed of myself for clicking it.

• Winner Winner x 11
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  3. sgtfury

sgtfury VIP Member

Feb 26, 2010
    Old Crow leaves a better taste in the mouth!

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. Spurffelbow833

Spurffelbow833 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 9, 2009
    The opportunity is there to take classes in the summer. An athletic scholarship covers five calendar years for redshirted athletes. There are exceptional students who play football and earn masters degrees on their athletic scholarships. Every year there are senior transfers who are allowed to transfer immediately because they have already graduated with a full year of eligibility left.

Take away all the non-graduating football and basketball players who leave early to go pro or put all their eggs in that basket and fail, and the graduation rates are probably the same as the non-revenue sports.

• Winner Winner x 2
  5. sflagator

sflagator Premium Member Trusted GC Insider

Apr 3, 2007
    It’s a dumb analogy but I get his point, it’s something I’ve repeated here many times. Right now the balance between what an athlete contributes and what they get back is way off. It’s inequitable, Especially when you consider that every single current and former college athlete I know ( and I know a lot of them) has some sort of permanent orthopedic problem that is going to require a lifelong treatment and, sometimes radical intervention. These kids literally sacrifice their long-term health to play for ... what exactly? I know they get housing food and a college education in return, but I don’t think it balances out. Universities really shouldn’t be in the sports entertainment business unless it is treated like an actual business for EVERYONE involved.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  6. og8trz

og8trz VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Every scholarship is potentially a doctor, lawyer, or engineer. If they choose to focus their energy on the field or court & just remain eligible to play, that is on them.

They have tutoring, quiet study areas, computers & virtually anything they need to succeed academically.

The biggest problem we have is the proliferation of single parent homes without a positive male role model.

I used to tell my kids when they made excuses, if you are looking for someone to blame, try the mirror.

• Winner x 4
    • Like x 3
    • Best Post Ever x 2
    • Agree x 1
    • Wish I would have said that x 1
    • Come On Man x 1
  7. blkwtr

blkwtr Senior

Jan 3, 2018
    PC and Entitlements is today's culture of ME NOW is infuriating. There slights everywhere and everyday. Jim Crow, PLEEZZ. People play the game because they love it. Everything else is a way and means to reach the top of thier sport.
    That being said, do i think a small stipend can be given ? Absolutely, without a doubt. It should also have NCAA max cap. Maybe $200 per month ?
    Friend race motorcycle Trails and Hare Scrambles for 18 years. Top 5 almost every year. Multiple broken bones, surgeries, pins, fusions, knee and shoulder replacement. Loved it then and thinks fondly of it. Today at 65 with the lingering severe pain, meds are only way he can function.
    No one made him get on that bike. Much less keep getting back on it.

• Winner Winner x 5
    • Like Like x 2
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  8. Bushmaster

Bushmaster GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Boo hoo. I have served with MANY Soldiers who joined the Army to get college benefits. Sadly, more than a few of them didn't live to ever submit an application for school. GI Bill doesn't provide the same benefits as a full ride scholarship, not to mention to the glory of playing D1 ball in front of 90,000 screaming fans on national tv.

• Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 12
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  9. WESGATORS

WESGATORS Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    One of the issues isn't the resources available to the student athletes, it's how the student athletes are (or may be) run through the mill for big money sports. Whether or not this is a national problem, or a problem at select institutions obviously requires more research. But you can't magically take a young man who has been trained to focus on football (or basketball) for the bulk of his young life, would not normally academically qualify at a particular university, and then expect him to all of a sudden have an understanding of the resources that are available to him and learn to change his life focus from sports to academics or even have a more reasonable balance between the two. Not that it can't happen, but it's an incredible obstacle to overcome.

One problem I have with this article is that it casts a blanket over all of "college sports" when that's no less ignorant than it would be to determine that there aren't any issues at all that need to be addressed. Also, the issue can be discussed without trying to force a racial divide; would be more compelling coming from a non-white revenue athlete that has benefited from those handshakes that nobody likes to talk about if that's the desired angle. Otherwise the race thing is really a non-sequitur.

I don't know how it is at other schools, but it would be a major slap in the face to FLORIDA athletes to suggest that football players or basketball players work harder at their sport than other athletes. It's probably because there is a smaller carrot (if any at all, outside of baseball) that dangles in front of the student athletes at the end of their career as a student athlete. They have no choice but to work towards the "what's next?"

Go GATORS!
    ,WESGATORS

• Like Like x 3
  10. Solution: Don't sign the letter of intent. Oppression averted!

• Winner Winner x 11
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  11. Seabud

Seabud GC Legend

Apr 3, 2007
    This is simply not true and I can give you a specific example at UF that proves it. A UF recruit wanted to major in engineering and went to speak to a person in that college. However, the college was told that the student could have no classes after 2 PM because of football commitments . The only major available to this kid was industrial engineering. No other engineering was a choice.

This kid did not get an academic scholarship – he got an athletic scholarship. They are expected to be athletes first and fit course work around that.

Now, can it be done? Yes. However, it is not fair to over simplify this and ignore that these kids are brought in to make money on sports and that the schools focus on their athletic achievements rather than any academic achievement (other than just staying eligible).

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. RealGatorFan

RealGatorFan Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Didn't FSU have a Rhodes Scholar on the team and one that was a 1st stringer? If he can do it, why not everyone else? And was black too. Far too many excuses these days.

13. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    They do get a stipend. And it’s more than $200 a month. Of course then yo give them a stipend, and we have nine players abuse it.

http://www.ajc.com/sports/uga-stipend-ranks-ninth-sec/pNgiItpmBTTz6E35EogR6L/

14. gtj31

gtj31 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    London, United Kingdom
    The last paragraph, I am certain is correct.

The first paragraph, has flaws imo. I haven't attended a UF engineering course for 11 years but when I did, you could take almost every course over the summer. So you could have your normal morning schedule during fall and spring and any afternoon course wait for the summer where surely you don't have the same restrictions.

Now it is possible they have changed the courses they offer or perhaps only MechE was so flexible. No idea on that but typically there is a way...

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. WESGATORS

Apr 3, 2007
  16. WESGATORS

Apr 3, 2007
    The over-simplification cuts both ways.

Go GATORS!
    ,WESGATORS

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Brewski

Brewski Premium Member

Oct 13, 2011
    If an athlete wants a significant major at UF, it is possible. If they want to focus on electives and work toward the nfl, that is possible as well. The excuses on either end sound weak. Yes, there are time constraints, but some non-athletes work close to full time and chose easy or hard majors as well.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. partdopy

partdopy GC Legend

Feb 1, 2012
    Is this guy serious? Any student athlete is free to attend college without using athletics to get in, just like any other person, as far as I know.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  19. Seabud

Seabud GC Legend

Apr 3, 2007
    Canyon was in the Masters program which is very different from getting through the weed out classes in undergrad. The single example in the 90s is perhaps the exception that proves the rule. I have an engineering degree from UF and would be very surprised if other engineers stated that they had time for 50 to 60 hours a week of athletics and would’ve been able to get their degree.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
  20. CHFG8R

CHFG8R GC Hall of Fame

Apr 24, 2007
    St. Augustine, FL
    • Winner Winner x 1