Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Syncing iTunes...

Discussion in 'Gator Bytes' started by ArtVandelay, Jul 19, 2017.

1. ArtVandelay

ArtVandelay GC Hall of Fame

Dec 19, 2011
    South Florida
    I have a lot of music on my phone from iTunes and I need to upgrade my phone. My computer where my iTunes account is on hasn't been hooked up in a year. Apparently it won't connect via my WiFi and I need the direct connect for my work computer.

Is there another way to sync iTunes from another computer? Can you log into your account somewhere else? I have heard that it will wipe out your files and start new.

Anyone else have experience with this? I saw some articles online but didn't see anything clear.

2. cjgator76

cjgator76 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    I'm not following the significance of the Wifi connection. Can't you just cable the phone(s) to your non-work computer? If so there are a couple of options I've used in the past. If not it's beyond me.

3. anstro76

anstro76 GC Hall of Fame

Feb 14, 2008
    St.Petersburg
    I don't mess with Apple products at all, but I heard my niece discuss this. I thought she mentioned that it's all under Apple music now.

4. ArtVandelay

Dec 19, 2011
    South Florida
    I thought you needed a connection to the internet to Sync. I tried to attach the phone and it said it wouldn't connect. It asked if I Trust the computer but it still said it can't connect to my phone.

I think it might be fully sync'd anyways. My real issue is what music stream do I get moving forward. I like Amazon Unlimited because I have been using that app. I hear Google Music is good too.

Anyone have a preference?

5. cjgator76

cjgator76 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    All my iTunes experience has been with Apple devices connected to Windows computer via cable.

If you can't establish that connection I think your problem is above my pay grade. If you get connected let me know I may be able to help.

6. anstro76

anstro76 GC Hall of Fame

Feb 14, 2008
    St.Petersburg
    For uploading my music I use Google. Just put the CD in the drive and upload it. For just streaming I use Spotify

7. ArtVandelay

Dec 19, 2011
    South Florida
    Looks like what I was worried about happened. I got a new phone and I downloaded everything from the cloud, but my Apple Music didn't move to the new phone. All of my photos did though so it appears as though it did get stuff from the cloud.

Any suggestions?

8. ajoseph

ajoseph Premium Member

Jan 15, 2008
    I had this issue. The cloud did not store any of my music in my iTunes that I loaded from old CDs. I had to synch my old phone (with the music) to my (old) computer, and then re-booted the new phone from the computer. All the old music then appeared. It was incredibly frustrating and time consuming, particularly since the old computer had to be loaded with the newest version of iTunes. But perseverance prevailed and I have my old music on my iPhone 8.

• Like Like x 1