Welcome home, fellow Gator

...to the Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!
  1. We are transitioning to serving all web pages over SSL (from http to https) for a more secure experience. You may need to log out and back in if you have issues. Thanks for your patience : ) P.S. TapaTalk app users may need to log out, force reload of the app, and log back in for new settings to kick in.

Switzerland bans boiling lobsters alive

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by fastsix, Jan 12, 2018.

1. gator_fever

gator_fever GC Hall of Fame

Nov 3, 2013
    Some studies with the PETA types claim they feel pain like higher animals but other recent studies also claim they don't and that is total BS. My guess would be a basic fish isn't much different than an insect in this regard.

Using some of these PETA type reasons you could argue bacteria feel pain. There appear to be clear distinctions with things like reptiles and mammals that show they do emotionally feel pain.

2. chemgator

chemgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    YES! Crustaceans feel pain! How do the Swiss know this? Their scientists ran experiments in which crustaceans were tortured (electrocuted) until they jumped out of their shells. So to summarize:

1) Torturing animals for hours on end as part of scientific research by "qualified people" = good.

2) Torturing animals for milliseconds prior to eating them (by unqualified people, one would presume) = bad.

Talk about irony. Only an argument (or a cheese) by the Swiss could have so many holes.

• Like Like x 1
  3. fastsix

fastsix Premium Member

Apr 11, 2007
    Swiss scientists didn't run those experiments. Some guy from the Queen's University in Belfast did.

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. demosthenes

demosthenes Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Good to know that non-lethal irritants conducted in limited lab situations to determine the existence of pain responses are considered hypocritical compared to lethal pain infliction happening on global scale. And anyone that thinks it’s “milliseconds” has clearly never seen a crustacean boiled.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. HallGator

HallGator Senile Mod Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I'm trying to figure out what's the problem with erring on the side of caution and killing them quickly first?

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  6. njgator81

njgator81 Junior

Jan 5, 2018
    Yeah I just cant get into Pynchon and Ive never bothered with IJ. Both are authors whose books I’d want to talk about liking but have thus far havent been able. DFW’s two non-fiction collections were gold though. I loved the essay on David Lynch.

7. AlfaGator

AlfaGator GC Hall of Fame

Aug 31, 2007
    Live Florida lobsters make great grouper bait. I stick a hook in their tail and then drop them down on a wreck. The groupers inhale them like candy. Nice to trade in a lobster for a 30 pound black grouper.

8. fastsix

fastsix Premium Member

Apr 11, 2007
    I can't even remember the last time I saw a live Florida lobster. The sell the tails frozen here, or at least the tails of some close cousin. Even Maine lobster is fairly uncommon around here. You have to go out of your way to find it, been a couple years since I've had one. Plenty of Dungeness Crab, good, but not the same.

We actually had Stone Crab Claws over the holidays. Got sent some as a gift. First time I've had those in probably a decade.

• Like Like x 1
  9. GatorRade

GatorRade Rad Scientist Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Yeah wth?

10. GatorBen

GatorBen Premium Member

Apr 9, 2007
    Likely the same species, but probably caught in the Bahamas or a Carribean country. Believe that much more of their lobster fishery makes it into the non-local commercial trade than does Florida’s.

11. chemgator

chemgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    It's a slippery slope. In another 20 years, you will have to wine and dine the lobster and get it to commit suicide before you can throw him in the pot.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  12. HallGator

HallGator Senile Mod Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007

What's wrong with that? Lobsters have feelings too.

13. BLING

BLING GC Hall of Fame

Apr 16, 2007
    Trophy Hunting big game or rare and endangered species is pretty much evil, there is no other way to interpret it.

Just look at this fat ****. Makes me sick.

[​IMG]

Hunting deer on the other hand is necessary for wildlife management, just because humans have basically removed the natural predators from the landscape for the most part. That being said, IMO it still takes a sick bastard to actually get enjoyment out of it. It should be looked at more as a necessary thing rather than a "sporting" thing. Ideally people would at least make use of the animal. But as I don't eat venison myself, I realize I don't exactly create demand for the product. But if a hunter is going to kill a deer, and then make full use of the deer, that is a pretty natural thing to do IMO.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 14, 2018
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. tegator80

tegator80 GC Hall of Fame

May 29, 2007

Thank goodness for the level headed Swiss. If we didn't think of lobsters we wouldn't have true art.