Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Switzerland bans boiling lobsters alive

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by fastsix, Jan 12, 2018.

1. fastsix

fastsix Premium Member

Apr 11, 2007
    Seattle
    I've read that you're supposed to kill them with a knife before dropping them in the water as it'll make them taste better. Don't know if it's true, but it doesn't make them taste worse and I'm sure it's a better death than being boiled alive. There's a cross on their head, just put the tip of the knife in the intersection of the cross and push down.

Switzerland bans boiling lobsters alive

In a new law, the Swiss government has banned the common culinary practice of throwing the crustaceans into boiling water while they are still conscious.

The move is a response to studies that suggest lobsters are sentient with advanced nervous systems that may feel pain.

From March 2018, lobsters being prepared in Switzerland will need to be knocked out before they're put to death, or killed instantly. They'll also get other protections while in transit.

Elwood's studies suggest crustaceans will make serious life and death decisions when exposed to pain. In experiments, hermit crabs were quick to abandon a shell if it was exposed to a large electric shock.

• Like Like x 1
  2. rivergator

rivergator Too Hot Mod Moderator VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    probably going to kill the Swiss lobster industry

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. docspor

docspor GC Hall of Fame

Nov 30, 2010
    Somewhere DFW is smiling. I hope.

[​IMG]

• Winner Winner x 1
  4. G. Gordon Gator

G. Gordon Gator GC Hall of Fame

May 3, 2017
    Ahhh, lobster. The delicious giant cockroaches of the sea. Not something I would think to order when in Switzerland. But if ever I do at least I'll know it was humanely stabbed in its little brain. Kind of pretentious if you ask me, but that's how they are in those fancy non-shithole countries. Not to mention, nobody asked me. :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. gator_fever

gator_fever GC Hall of Fame

Nov 3, 2013
    Do lobsters even feel "pain"? I have heard some claim that fish (at least basic fish - I think some argue certain sharks etc. can) don't feel pain like other animals they just physically react to what is happening.

6. fastsix

fastsix Premium Member

Apr 11, 2007
    Seattle
    It's covered in the article.

7. fastsix

fastsix Premium Member

Apr 11, 2007
    Seattle
    Why would it be pretentious to not want to cause an animal unnecessary pain?

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. fastsix

fastsix Premium Member

Apr 11, 2007
    Seattle
    I've carried around Infinite Jest on my Kindle for months now, ever since I saw the movie The End Of The Tour, just can't seem to get started on it though, and not for the first time.

Good movie if you haven't seen it and takes considerably less time than Infinite Jest.

9. exiledgator

exiledgator Gruntled

Jan 5, 2010
    Maine
    Immediately went there myself.

A great collection. The lobster piece challenged me and I couldn't defend my carnivorous ways. I decided to try to forget the reading and keep eating wings.

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  10. gator_fever

Nov 3, 2013
    I will have to look but I know some PETA type scientists argue fish feel pain like higher animals but others say that is nonsense they don't have the capacity to.

"Elwood's studies suggest crustaceans will make serious life and death decisions when exposed to pain. In experiments, hermit crabs were quick to abandon a shell if it was exposed to a large electric shock.
    "They are really giving up a very valuable resource that means life to them, essentially, in order to escape from the noxious stimulus," explains Elwood."

That is a joke to use that to claim they really feel pain as we think of it. That sounds like PETA's argument with fish.

11. docspor

docspor GC Hall of Fame

Nov 30, 2010
    I have. Big fan of DFW, but I've learned my lesson with Gravity's Rainbow & some others...I ain't gonna read IJ. Love his first novel, Broom of the System. Read his first collection of short stories - very accomplished, but too show offy. Hey, look what I can do. Love his little math book, Everything & more - a concise history of infinity. His math skillz kill.

finally, my fav essay by him. love the part about irony...kinda far into it. If there is a bigger genius from our generation, I'm all ears. Well, except for Trump, of course.

https://jsomers.net/DFW_TV.pdf

12. GatorRade

GatorRade Rad Scientist Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Pain is very basic. The higher order part of the brain that fish lack is the cerebrum, where reasoning, prioritization, memory, etc. occur. That would be crazy if they couldn't sense something that causes them harm.

This actually sounds pretty reasonable to me. You have a better experimental design to test the hypothesis?

13. gator_lawyer

gator_lawyer Premium Member

Oct 30, 2017
    No, it's not. Why would they abandon their safety if they feel no pain? It's the most logic explanation for their behavior.

14. anstro76

anstro76 GC Hall of Fame

Feb 14, 2008
    St.Petersburg
    When I prepared lobster in the restaurant I always told the cooks working under me to put a knife through its head. It would save the cook from nasty burns if they weren't paying attention and put the lobster in tail first.

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  15. gator7_5

gator7_5 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Man, am I supposed to take a tiny knife and kill all my crawfish prior to boiling them too? That sounds like a lot of work.

• Funny Funny x 3
  16. GatorRade

GatorRade Rad Scientist Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Obviously, they are abandoning their homes because the tax rates are too high. Probably going to an off shore shell corporation.

• Funny Funny x 6
    • Creative Creative x 1
  17. gator_fever

Nov 3, 2013
    Their are articles out there where researchers say its BS fish feel pain like higher animals do just like the ones with the PETA loving researchers.

Leaving a place because of disruption is not even close to proving anything. Of course if some lower animal gets physically disrupted they will start avoiding that.

18. demosthenes

demosthenes Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    You’re right. Hermit crabs just willy nilly jump out of their shells when I pick them up and disrupt their afternoons. Poor little bastards.

• Funny Funny x 3
  19. Rocinante

Rocinante Senior

May 28, 2013
    In my youth I was rather oblivious to the idea that birds, fish and rodents should be treated with some humanity while hunting them. I have fished a lot in my life and never considered the need to humanely dispatch a fish when I was going to keep them.

As I got older my taste for killing anything began to wane and now I don’t outside of a fish I will keep and it will be killed humanely and immediately. One strategy we started using for large fish like a Dolphin or Cobia, for our safety as well as being humane, is to squirt rubbing alcohol in their gills. I also instituted a no kill policy for sharks on my boat. Around the time we started being more humane my Dad living in Ireland told me that it was considered very uncouth to not dispatch your catch immediately there. They actually use a small heavy bat like device called a “Priest”, to give the fish it’s last rights as they called it. So being humane regardless of our opinion of a creatures nervous systems capability is a good thing.

Recently they have concluded fish do feel pain and based in the stuff above, it sounds like crustaceans do to. Here’s a bit from the article about the studies on fish and pain that captures the philosophy behind humane treatment of animals.

Should we care how fish feel? In his 1789 treatise An Introduction to the Principles of Morals and Legislation, English philosopher Jeremy Bentham—who developed the theory of utilitarianism (essentially, the greatest good for the greatest number of individuals)—articulated an idea that has been central to debates about animal welfare ever since. When considering our ethical obligations to other animals, Bentham wrote, the most important question is not, “Can they reason? nor, Can they talk? but, Can they suffer?” Conventional wisdom has long held that fish cannot—that they do not feel pain.

Read more: https://www.smithsonianmag.com/science-nature/fish-feel-pain-180967764/#CrtpT2D7gCBAdUZF.99
    Give the gift of Smithsonian magazine for only $12! http://bit.ly/1cGUiGv
    Follow us: @SmithsonianMag on Twitter

• Like Like x 1
  20. Tasselhoff

Tasselhoff GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    I have zero issue with people wishing to kill food humanely. It should be a common practice.
    I do question those that I run into who left true me on the evils of hunting but still buy meat at the grocery store..or go fishing..or eat plants...Which are living things and will also react to stimuli that harms them or disrupts their living.

• Agree Agree x 1