Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Swinney, Kelly lash out at CFP

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by gatorjjh, Dec 19, 2020.

1. gatorjjh

gatorjjh A Gator with a Glass half full attitude Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl
    THE QUOTE
    Notre Dame coach Brian Kelly suggested his team may not accept an invitation to play in the College Football Playoff if players’ families are not allowed to attend the games.
    Kelly, whose team is second in the College Football Playoff rankings and faces third-ranked Clemson in the ACC title game in Charlotte, N.C., on Saturday, was concerned about the possibility Notre Dame could have to play a semifinal game on Jan. 1 in the Rose Bowl, one of the two semifinal sites, which will not allow fans inside the stadium because of COVID-19 restrictions.
    “I’m not sure we’ll play in the playoffs if parents can’t be there, to be honest with you,” Kelly said Friday during a teleconference.
    “Why would we play if you can’t have the families at the game? A bowl game? Yeah, we would opt out. If you can’t have family at bowl games, I mean, why would you go to a game where your family can’t be part of it?”
    Kelly said it’s “not the bowl game’s fault” government officials decided not to allow fans inside the Rose Bowl, but said they could always play the game at another site.
    “Why can’t it be the Rose Bowl in Las Vegas or why can’t it be the Rose Bowl in another town?” he said.
    Clemson coach Dabo Swinney, above, agreed with Kelly that “plenty of venues” could host a playoff game with families inside the stadium.
    “I don’t think there’s any question there’s plenty of venues that, if for whatever reason (the Rose Bowl) doesn’t work, punt, push it to next year where you can have that opportunity,” Swinney said during a teleconference.
    Swinney said he has not spoken to his players about the possibility of playing in an empty stadium, adding he just “hopes we have the opportunity” to be selected.
    “It makes no sense to me to put a bunch of kids on a plane and fly them all the way to California to play in an empty stadium” Swinney said. “That makes zero sense when you have plenty of stadiums right here where you can have fans. ... It should be the same for all four teams.”
    — Associated Press

• Like Like x 3
  2. gatorjjh

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl
    2 Whiners if you ask me, hope neither makes the final

• Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 10
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  3. KronoGator

KronoGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 10, 2007
    Sounds like they don't want to go.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. gatorjjh

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl
    and or they think rules should not apply to them, reading the full article they came off IMO as entitled and full of themselves

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
  5. Bushmaster

Bushmaster GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Really tired of that whiny little bitch dabo.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 2
    • Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
    • Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
  6. BLING

BLING GC Hall of Fame

Apr 16, 2007
    It’s not even in the CFB committee’s hands, is it? The issue is the CA lockdown doesn’t allow attendance. They would literally have to move the game to somewhere with lesser restrictions.

Seems to me that allowing families isn’t some grave health risk (it obviously isn’t, so long as certain protocols are followed). The problem with these things is if you make an “exception” for one group, then everyone will think they are exceptional.

It’s pretty tone deaf the way these 2 coaches are framing it. Obviously they want the families there, maybe they should come out and say “move the game to Arizona” or to Texas so that at least families can be there.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. lerxst6

lerxst6 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    Naples
    Thats the goal this year right? Play as few games as possible.

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. ArtVandelay

ArtVandelay GC Hall of Fame

Dec 19, 2011
    South Florida
    Notre Dame doesn't even belong in the CFP if they lose today. Make a point and don't choose them. They are the most overrated program in the history of sports in my sports fandom.

They need an 8 team playoff this year.

They can move the games if they want to. Too much money and don't want to upset the good ole boy network.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
  9. Endless Excuses

Endless Excuses GC Hall of Fame

Jan 13, 2010
    Was this post cut and pasted from the Warchant forums?

• Funny Funny x 6
    • Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 2
  10. Spurffelbow833

Spurffelbow833 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 9, 2009
    We played 10. Do we get to drop our lowest grade and vacate the loss to LSU?

• Funny x 3
    • Winner x 2
    • Like x 1
    • Wish I would have said that x 1
    • Best Post Ever x 1
  11. g8rnc

g8rnc All American

May 13, 2015
    They are trying to be players coaches and help with their recruiting. They will point to this publicity stunt during recruiting and say look how we fight for our players and what they want. We fought so that our guys could play in front of their parents.

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. bposs

bposs GC Hall of Fame

Sep 3, 2010
    Woodstock, GA
    Or they don’t want to fly all the way across the country and play in an empty stadium. Pick any stadium in the south, and play it. CA governor is a dip sh*t, NCAA should pull the plug on Rose Bowl this year, and move the game.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 4
    • Like Like x 3
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  13. spike718

spike718 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    Publicity stunt or not...some of you are mad that a coach would prefer his players play in a bowl game / playoff game where their families can attend vs getting the 20 million dollar playoff payout? Every game these teams have played this year has had at least their families attending if not some small amount of fans.

if these schools truly wanted to choose a game/venue that allowed families to see their sons play vs the more important big money payout of the rose bowl with no fans...seems like a classy move to me. But no way they would do it.

• Like Like x 5
    • Informative Informative x 1
  14. bernie_lomax

bernie_lomax Senior

Jan 26, 2016
    ACC logic: if the CFP isn’t played, perhaps Clemson and ND will split the national title. It’s worked to their advantage thus far to simply not play the games.
    Screw these programs. ND gets embarrassed every time they’re placed in a bowl they shouldn’t be in (often).
    And Clemson, Dabo comes off as a crooked pastor to me. The whole “family culture” thing is a charade and he uses religion when convenient.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    I started a thread here in Swamp Gas that brought up the exact same argument that Brian Kelly brought up in this article... The Rose Bowl not letting even families in the stands should NOT be rewarded with a playoff bowl game... Thank you Brian Kelly for bring up this very important discussion...

I wonder why my OP/ thread was closed in the first place...

As for Swinney's argument, two loses to the same team and you must be disqualified from the playoffs because you failed twice to the same exact team. That is if they lose twice to Notre Dame.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  16. Killer_Rabbits

Killer_Rabbits GC Legend

May 28, 2007
    I wouldn’t be shocked to find out that Dabo believes the world is flat and that the rona is a hoax.

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  17. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    LMFAO! Not getting into that...

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  18. G8rmann

G8rmann Premium Member

Feb 20, 2014
    Next year will be different.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  19. 4everaGator

4everaGator GC Hall of Fame

Aug 3, 2010
    Central Florida
    I actually agree with any coach that doesn't want to travel across the country to play if parents and families aren't allowed to be present! I understand the need to limit crowd sizes but have always been for families being allowed to be there for the athletes.

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  20. 96Gatorcise

96Gatorcise GC Hall of Fame

Aug 6, 2008
    Tampa
    The CFP and the bowls are separate from the regular season. The NCAA has very little if any say.

CFP Administration, LLC runs the show.

CFP Governance

• Agree Agree x 1