Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Swamp OLs with Georgia

Discussion in 'Awesome Recruiting' started by melrose12, Nov 7, 2019.

1. melrose12

melrose12 All American

Jun 25, 2019
    I really believe if we just swamped OL with Georgia we win by 14-17 pts.
    Trask behind that line he would be able to go thru all progressions with our WRs it would be fun to watch.
    Think of Perine and Pierce running with holes.
    DLs are close. Overall we are close or ahead at RB.
    Swift would not look like he does with Geo playing with us. I think Pierce can be a star with a good line.

I do think we are very close to betting them even with 15 5 stars.
    Just wondering what you all think if only OL was changed. Do we beat them?

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  2. 1975Gator

1975Gator All American

Jan 5, 2012
    Do you mean swapped?

• Funny Funny x 6
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Off-topic Off-topic x 1
  3. willymayshayes

willymayshayes GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Our D has bigger issues. Ability to consistently tackle, safety play, only 1 legit LB, no stout DT's, etc.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. DieAGator

DieAGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    I hAt HoKE

• Like Like x 1
  5. pd_gator

pd_gator GC Hall of Fame

Oct 6, 2013
    Florida
    100% agree. Hell... With last years OL we beat them imho.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  6. GATORnGA

GATORnGA Senior

Dec 5, 2007
    Gray, GA

I personally don't think so because that would not have fixed our 3rd down defense which imo is the real reason we lost that game. Not getting off the field on 3rd down took away too many opportunities for our offense to get on the field and if we stop them on the last 3rd down I felt we would have scored and went to OT.

But who knows, if we had a better OL maybe we don't waste 2 timeouts on the first drive and could actually try to run between the tackles to get 1 yard for a first down which could have possibly changed the course of the game (well after our QB and WRs put on the correct wrist bands on anyway).

But, if my aunt had balls she'd be my uncle.

Also...Epstein didn't kill himself.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  7. justinwitt07

justinwitt07 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 7, 2018
    Atlanta , GA
    DL and safeties are absolute problems being as there aren’t any on the roster that would improve play. Just gotta recruit. It’s really impressive he’s got us in position for a 10-2 season and possibly a New Years 6 to tell u the truth. I may have issues with some things here and there and despite the talent deficiencies I still think we could’ve stolen a w in Jacksonville but it doesn’t take away with how impressive what he’s done is. SOS is the only coach we’ve had that I could’ve imagined coaching a team up so much With this level of talent. It’s very impressive

Last edited: Nov 9, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. SJB612

SJB612 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 12, 2007
    If they had our Oline, believe me, we would have gotten off the field on third downs.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. hotelgator

hotelgator GC Legend

Jun 21, 2007
    Boston
    Yeah its swap OP savant. Swamp is not a clever word swap.

Why even be Gator fans?
    Just find a team that has a great OL, more than 1 LB who is decent, DL who aren't problems, S who can play, and a D that gets off the field every 3rd down.

Great Topic, with amazing insights.

I'll take the young men who bleed and bust there asses every day on the field, show up to watch video, then go to class and then study after class, the young men who want to be better and learn more about life.
    Why not just go be Bama or Clemson fans.

This site is gettin more like others we used to mock every day!

Go Gators!!

10. GATORnGA

GATORnGA Senior

Dec 5, 2007
    Gray, GA
    well, now, that I can definitely agree with.

11. melrose12

melrose12 All American

Jun 25, 2019
    Well if we had their OL they would be gators busting their tails for the school. Did not mean change now.
    Also no bigger Gator fan than me so don't think I become a Bama fan.
    Plenty just a big a fan as me,so no disrepect.
    Wondering what we look like with their line makes me a Geo or Bama fan?

12. shelbygt350

shelbygt350 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    All we needed were some recruiters of stud OL guys in past few years: Landon Dickinson (Bama OC), Alex Leatherwood (Bama LT), Cesar Ruiz (Mich OC), Stewart Reese (MissSt OG), Nicholas Pettit-Fere (Ohio St backup RT), William Bryant and Ed Montelis (OL at UNC), etc.

In the past 8 or so years, the number of stud OL guys from the State of Florida who have gone elsewhere is staggering and a big contributing factor to UF not playing in F4.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. propagator

propagator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Sad to review the recent past regarding Florida HS lineman on both sides of the ball not signing to In-State schools

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. bvgator789

bvgator789 GC Legend

Nov 29, 2018
    To be honest I have disliked most high school lineman coming out of Florida. Of course there are exceptions but for the most part they under perform. I’ve posted before that former NFL Jaguar olineman Leon Searcy once said that the better lineman come from the northern states and that the reason being a state like Florida has most of their camps for athletes and not olineman. He said there is something about those kids up in the northern states that they just are more natural on the oline.

15. ShadowCat

ShadowCat All American

Jan 6, 2015
    All those big corn-fed Nebraska lineman of days gone by... big and slow, or small and fast seems to be the choice nowadays.

16. bvgator789

bvgator789 GC Legend

Nov 29, 2018
    Have you seen those Wisconsin Olineman. They recruit alright at that position but damn do they always have a really good oline. Hence the success of Melvin Gordon and Jonathon Taylor.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. dontpanic

dontpanic VIP Member

Oct 28, 2019
    Temple Terrace
    Ahhh com'on, these pathetic 1/2 * Gators should never even have been in the game, any more than USCe with their 2-3* crew.

It wasn't so much the people on defense as it was Grantham's very consistent defensive strategy of playing soft zone against outstanding passers (Locke, Fromm for 2 years and Burrow). He's so trapped in his Pass Rush construct that when a team has excellent pass blocking. They simply nickel & dime you to death, and sometimes, a missed tackle or miscommunication by DBs leads to long TDs.

Auburn and USCe played tight man-to-man with a lot of success respectively against LSU & Georgia, as Grantham should have. He refuses to learn from his losses and other's wins. Not that he's a bad DC, it's just he can't seem to understand that you can't let good passers have easy completions, you've gotta make it hard, and even then it's tough, like when LSU played tight man-to-man against the Gator receivers and still gave up 28 pts.