Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!
  1. Folks, you may notice glitches here and there. We are upgrading our servers shortly, please pardon the dust and hang in there. : ) Thanks for your patience.

SUV questions...

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by GatorKP, Mar 18, 2020.

1. orangebluegator

orangebluegator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    A bit more than I wanted to spend, but I had a xc90 near the top of my list before buying the minivan.

2. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

Volvos would be good to lease because of their high residual value

3. maxgator

maxgator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    One could also argue that if it has a high residual value it will also have a high resale value making a purchase a better deal if you are considering keeping it longer. But definitely, if you are looking for a lease only choose a high residual value vehicle.

4. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

Yeah it does work both ways. I leased a new car every 3 years for a long time - it made sense if you want to have one “new” car under warranty, for the wife to drive and for long trips. With no money down I was paying about as much per month as I would for a 3-year car loan with a hefty down payment. At the end of the lease I’d turn it in, go get another 3-year lease, and keep making my ~$350/mo payment - the point being that I didn’t have to keep tying up 5-figures in down payments.

But it all depends on interest rates and residuals - sometimes the math works out and sometimes it doesn’t - and leasing only works if you want to always have a less-than-3-year-old car in the driveway

5. maxgator

maxgator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Exactly. I simply choose to buy vehicles that are good for much longer than 3 years and reliable too. But even if I didn't, if a car has good resalej,w you aren't going to be needing a down payment event time you trade one in at the end of 3 years - but I agree if that's what you want, a new car every 3 years lease it.
    At least that's where i come out on the value proposition. Of course, I consider myself a car guy and am a decent mechanic who has tools and internet. Grew up working on cars, building motors and modifying them. So, I actually enjoy it, despite being in another profession.
    I reserve my leasing for the aforementioned expensive imports. Sure, the residual value makes them more expensive. But damn I don't want to but a new BMW and keep it for 10 years.:eek:

• Like Like x 1
  6. The_Graygator

The_Graygator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    Love the old Gen 1 Camaros '67 - '69. You can always tell an original 1967 Camaro from the vent window on the doors and the lack of a front side blinker light. I had a 1967 Chevelle I had modified to the hilt and raced it in street class at gator Nationals a couple of times in the late 80's. She was putting over 500 hp to the back wheels through an original 12-bolt 4:56 posi-trac rear end. Ran a '66 Vette 327 in her. That 327 ate big blocks for lunch. Had to install wheelie bars with the slicks. Used to street-race it in tally for a couple of years. Never lost a race either. It was always satisfying to beat all those fancy, shiny-painted hot rods guys drove that their parents paid for with my old shade-tree Chevelle.

On the tracks, I came in 4th a few times and 3rd once at Gator Nationals.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2020
    • Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. atlantagator86

atlantagator86 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Alpharetta, GA
    I had a 99 Volvo S-80. I wasn't a fan. Pretty reliable but rather unspectacular. It drove like a bus, like my dad's old mid 70s Chevy Malibu Classic.

• Like Like x 1
  8. chemgator

chemgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    4Runners were (and may still be) made in the same factory in Japan as one of the Lexus sedans. They make one of the vehicles for four days a week, and the other for three days a week. It is the most reliable vehicle in the Toyota lineup, and has been for decades. I kept my '97 4Runner for almost 18 years. Operating costs were low, even with repairs and maintenance at the dealership, and it never broke down on me. It was not that great to drive on the highway--a crosswind at 75 mph was scary, and the handling was generally poor because of the high center of gravity. It didn't have great acceleration or gas mileage, either.

My Highlander has 40% more horsepower, 30% better gas mileage, and much better handling and cornering than the old 4Runner, and it is quieter. The only thing I don't like about it is the view towards the corners of the vehicle. The rear sight lines are not that good, and the hood is so large and high off the ground, you don't see too much of what's immediately in front of you. I dealt with that by jacking the 8-way adjustable driver's seat as high as it would go (and I'm over 6'-tall), which helps. I don't need a third row seat. I actually don't need 270 hp--I would be happy with 230-240 hp. I wish that Toyota would put out a 4-cylinder hybrid Highlander and use the third row seat area for the batteries and additional storage space. The weight would be a lot less than the 4100 lbs the V6 Highlander weighs if it were a 4-cyl hybrid.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1