Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

SUV questions...

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by GatorKP, Mar 18, 2020.

1. garettk

garettk GC Legend

Oct 3, 2008
    Does yours have external transmission cooler? If not, might be worth looking into, with the way you like to drive and the terrain.

2. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

yes - it has a ridiculous towing capacity because with all that horsepower it has the truck tranny with only 6 speeds, not the lighter duty 10 speed

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. FusionGator

FusionGator Junior

Nov 15, 2015
    Holy smokes you had/have owned a bunch of cars!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Mika

Mika Premium Member

Oct 31, 2010
    I loved the Lightning. One of only two vehicles I regretted getting rid of. Insane torque that spoiled me for life. Nothing crazy done to it. Catback exhaust, tune, intake and smaller lower pulley. Put down 408/520.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  5. Nostradamus

Nostradamus GC Legend

Sep 18, 2015
    That’s why I have my 87 BMW cabrio. When I feel like having some fun, I’ll take it out and wind my way thru some mountain roads.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

The 3 liter inline 6, right?

7. The_Graygator

The_Graygator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    Love my 2011 Camaro. Got it used about 15 months ago with the insurance money after Hurricane Micheal dropped a tree on the 2010 Malibu my mom left me. That Malibu only had 33,000 miles on it too.

I've driven lots of cars in my profession, but I tend to favor the Camaros.

8. studegator

studegator GC Legend

Feb 24, 2008
    Absolutely where I stand. We bought a 1998 4runner new and still drive it and have only done scheduled maintenance, has 226,000 miles. Our son has a 99, bought used and it now has 236,000. It is next to impossible to find a low mileage 3rd generation 4runner. Probably the best vehicle Toyota has made.
    We now also have a 2017 Honda Ridgeline, which is built on Pilot platform. Love it. My wifes coworker has a new Honda pilot and loves it as well.

• Like Like x 1
  9. FusionGator

FusionGator Junior

Nov 15, 2015
    Nice. I would love a late 60s camaro. I had a '79 Malibu 2 door with a 305 in it. It was great seeing the faces of people who thought it was a grandpa car after they saw how that thing would run.

10. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

Since when did “fun to drive “ get put in the same category as “fashion statement”? One has zero to do with the other. But I guess coming from die-hard Toyota and Honda owners y’all likely don’t understand :p

Last edited: Mar 25, 2020
  11. insuragator

insuragator Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    For fun to drive I bought both my kids Mustangs for high school. Daughters was a GT convertible. Loved driving that thing. For my son I said no-way on the GT so we got him the 2.3 turbo. Who knew it was faster - should have done a bit more research lol. They are both incredibly fun to drive.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

Ford has developed a lot of experience with turbochargers going way back to the 80s. In a Mustang though, it’s just gotta be a V-8.

13. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

My point in this thread however is this: of course Corvettes and Mustangs are fun to drive - but if you’re getting ready to buy an SUV, it doesn’t have to be boring. There are vehicles out there that are more fun to drive than a Honda Pilot or a Toyota Highlander, you just gotta be willing to step out of your paradigm

14. insuragator

Apr 3, 2007
    I know the little engine just does not sound right. Thing sounds like a sewing machine. He's home from UF for the time being so I may have to take it for a spin later :)

• Like Like x 1
  15. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

The little engine does a hell of a job - but 4 bangers and 6cylinders - in-line or V - just don’t sound good loud. The exception is in race cars, where the 9000 RPM howl sounds pretty sweet.
    But nothing sounds like a V-8

Building off the technology first developed over 30 years ago with the 2.3 L turbo, Ford’s 2.0 Ecoboost is really sweet and develops around 250 HP. We had one in a 2013 Escape and it really was a nice package.

16. lwg8tr

lwg8tr GC Legend

I leased a Volvo XC60 T-6 last year. Best vehicle ever owned. Technically a crossover. 300+hp, 0-60 under 6 seconds. gets 25mpg, handles like a sports sedan, can tote 5 people around + gear and has all the toys. I pay less per month than most folks are paying for their Ford or Chevy. Plus you get white glove treatment at the dealer. They know my name when I call, I get a loaner and treated like I bought a Lexus or Mercedes. Looks damn good too

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  17. insuragator

Apr 3, 2007
    I love Volvo's. Never owned one but had a rental after an accident and it was great.

18. insuragator

Apr 3, 2007
    By the way I love this thread. Without sports to talk about we've got cars!!!!

And SUV's

• Agree Agree x 3
  19. Nostradamus

Nostradamus GC Legend

Sep 18, 2015
    Yep with a rubber band timing belt. My 240 was same config but w timing chain.

• Like Like x 1
  20. nobbqsauce

nobbqsauce All American

Nov 21, 2018
    I'm a truck guy. Living off grid part of the year, 4or access, I wanted a 4door that was comfortable on the highway and could get me out when the storms hit.
    Ram rebel. I've got 40k plus on it and not a single issue. Love that truck.

• Like Like x 2