Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

SUV questions...

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by GatorKP, Mar 18, 2020.

1. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

If you’re gonna lease, do it with no money down. Paying up front does absolutely nothing except drop your payment the exact amount of the down payment - and they’ve got your money.

My last car was a BMW lease. Be careful with the tires. They gig you if the car isn’t returned with almost-like-new run flats.

2. Mika

Mika Premium Member

Oct 31, 2010
    I’d suggest either Toyota or Honda. I was an auto mechanic for 17 years. For the most part dead nuts reliable. Sometimes a bit too bland. Subaru isn’t bad either, although I’m not a fan of the CVT transmission. If you’re up north I’d suggest the Subaru for its AWD.

My wife has a 2017 Pilot and she loves it. Plenty of room and it’s a pretty comfortable drive. One repair needed, but other than that only maintenance.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

Did you work at dealerships or independent garages?

4. arminius

arminius Freshman

Mar 14, 2019
    Germania
    @Matherly87 is my spirit animal.

I too have a 2004 Pilot - with over 260,000 miles. I did have to get the transmission replaced a couple of years ago, but I would imagine you're going to have to do that on a lot of cars with that kind of mileage.

I mirror what everyone else says - since your wife seems to like to hold onto cars for a LONG time, I'd go with Honda or Toyota. I know some folks will say that Hyundai and Kia are just as good for less money, but I don't think they have the sheer longevity of the major Japanese brands.

• Agree Agree x 3
  5. maxgator

maxgator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    They have not yet established that they have that kind of longevity at least. 100k is one thing. 200k completely another and that's where the truth starts to show.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Matherly87

Matherly87 VIP Member

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    Agree with Mika the Pilot is good to drive and hugs the corners pretty well for an SUV. That's one thing that sold me even back in 2004.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

It is clear that the only priority in this thread is reliability and longevity. I respect how important that is, but nobody seems to place any value on "fun to drive". As I see it, if the vehicle isn't fun to drive and doesn't put a smile on your face every now and then, why would I want to keep it for a million miles?

I'll get on the track or an inspirational 2-lane in my Explorer Sport and play with any of your Toyotas, Hondas, and Subarus.

Go Gators

8. FusionGator

FusionGator Junior

Nov 15, 2015
    Fun to drive to me is a Corvette, (which is out of my league) or other true sports car or offroad vehicle.

But what are you doing on regular roads that's so fun compared to boring vehicles? What makes your Explorer fun over other comparable vehicles? I'm curious because I hear that a fair amount from people.

In the end, isn't the overwhelming majority of vehicles just commuters and grocery getters?

9. orangebluegator

orangebluegator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Yea, the Tesla is fun to drive as far as the instant acceleration/torque. The Odyssey is a family mover/grocery getter...so boring is fine. As long as it has enough power to get up to speed, it doesn't need to be fun to drive. Maybe the explorer's sport edition has some more go than other SUVs, but when I think of fun vehicles, I'm thinking motorcycles, sports cars, off-road, etc - versus your daily driver.

10. FusionGator

FusionGator Junior

Nov 15, 2015
    Now I would like to try out a Tesla and see what that torque is like.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

The Explorer Sport has a stiffer suspension, 20” wheels, and a 365 HP twin turbo V-6. It’s beautiful on hill/mountain climbs, like I-26 between Greenville and Asheville, accelerating uphill without even downshifting. Passing on 2-lanes is sweet with the steering wheel mounted paddle shifters. Handles nicely for a vehicle weighing almost 5000 pounds. This is our road trip vehicle, as my other is a 2010 F-150.

Thrills around town are limited to occasions when pulling away from a light when the lane next to me ends up ahead and some bozo driving something he thinks is fast in the other lane decides he’s gonna try and cut me off :D

Last edited: Mar 23, 2020
  12. Claygator

Claygator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    I'm with you. I firmly believe that we have overreacted, and that the cure is worse than the disease itself.

13. Claygator

Claygator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    I have driven very vehicle I have owned since 1980 for over 200k miles. The Tundra I drive now has 218k on it, and I haven't repaired anything at ALL on it for three years.

• Like Like x 3
  14. Mika

Mika Premium Member

Oct 31, 2010
    I was at dealerships during my auto career.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  15. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

I respect that

16. Mika

Mika Premium Member

Oct 31, 2010
    And Skink, I understand how you feel. My fun cars in the past few decades have been; 02 WRX, 04 STI, 08 Legacy GT, 04 SVT Lightning, 02 SVT Focus, 91 Galant VR-4(4G63 engine in it-ie. eclipse turbo engine), 11 Mustang GT, 09 Pontiac G8 GT, 09 CTS-V and a 17 GTI. I love fun cars. But for the majority of us they’re not always the most practical. Most folks need to have a reliable ride. Which is why I have an 18 Accord 2.0 Sport as my daily and an 06 FZ1 when I want to move a little quicker.

There’s a saying that many hold true. Four wheels move the body, two wheels moves the soul. Happy motoring no matter what wheel you’re behind.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

4 wheels can move the soul too. Don’t doubt that for a second.

How’d you like the Lightning? Predecessor to the Raptor

Happy motoring and Go Gators

18. n210sgator

n210sgator Junior

Jan 11, 2015
    Neptune Beach
    Have a 2011 Jeep grand Cherokee Overland that is - I hate to admit - faster and more fun than my 1985 300 ZX.
    Like driving my manuel transmission Z on a sunny day with the T tops off, but the Jeep 8 cylinder hemi is a beast!
    Only 150 K miles on my Nissan as I use it as a fair weather/2nd car, but it’s definitely been a reliable car for 35 years.
    Kept my previous grand Cherokee 20 years and gave it to my daughter when I upgraded to this Overland edition and she kept it till it hit 300 K!

• Like Like x 2
  19. gtr2x

gtr2x GC Hall of Fame

Aug 21, 2007
    Couldn't agree more. I'm on my third Infiniti coupe and all have been great rides. Current one is a convertible, but making a change soon, unfortunately my wife likes SUVs which are practical but boring to me.
    Prior to Infiniti I had an Acura and Honda both great cars, but Honda styling has gone down the tubes.

20. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

They don’t have to be boring - check out the Ford Edge ST