Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

SUV questions...

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by GatorKP, Mar 18, 2020.

1. 62gator

62gator GC Hall of Fame

Dec 4, 2007
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    It will be a buyer’s market, no doubt. Reached out today to a friend who works at a auto dealership. He said they didn’t sell a single vehicle yesterday, the first time he’s ever seen that happen, and he’s been in the business for some time. I would imagine new vehicles will be stacked up like cord wood on dealer lots for the foreseeable future. Factories will likely be idle before long too if they’re not already. Just awful..

2. Nostradamus

Nostradamus GC Legend

Sep 18, 2015
    My first car was a Datsun 240z that I bought just before I graduated from Engineering school at UF. That thing was the bomb. Brown with a black interior and no A/C. Those were the days.

Rebuilt the engine and got a set of ‘71 carbs for it (didn’t have all that emissions crap on them). Super simple car to work on and was a blast to drive. Datsun did an awesome job engineering back in those days. All the parts from the 510, Z cars, B210 etc interchanged. Need rings and bearings for your rebuild? Just need to know how many, because the were interchangeable across the 4 and 6 cylinder engines. Same w clutch disks and pressure plates, and prolly lots more. 10, 12. And 14 mm sockets would take about 90% of the car apart.

• Like Like x 3
  3. FusionGator

FusionGator Junior

Nov 15, 2015
    I hate to see the economic devastation that this is going to cause. When the smoke clears, I believe far more people will be ruined from this financially than from the illness itself. This is an unprecedented global catastrophe.

• Agree Agree x 5
  4. beemerthegator

beemerthegator All American

Dec 1, 2019
    If you are looking for a good deal I'm betting you will get a chance. Although you never know these things are hard to predict -- for all we know supply chain disruptions and factory slow-downs/closings could result in shortages and increased prices if the economy begins to recover quickly. But I think the smart bet is that demand will plummet and we will see manufacturers having to offer very favorable deals.

When I bought my current car, a Subaru, I had considered a Toyota Tacoma truck. But to get the model I wanted with comparable features to the Subaru, it was going to be almost $50k. The Subaru was $34k and got substantially better mileage. The difference in cost did not justify the truck even though I would have loved one.

5. FusionGator

FusionGator Junior

Nov 15, 2015
    Things are volatile and uncertain, so anything can happen. Made the final payment on the wife's RAV4. Now we will keep making that payment into the savings account. It will allow me to go in with a sizeable chunk of cash and allow me to stalk the market. I hope it works in my favor.

6. garettk

garettk GC Legend

Oct 3, 2008
    Was told that Morgan Auto Group laid off 362 employees this morning. If not mistaken, they own Mercedez and Volkswagen of G'ville, and Rountree in Lake City. Many others (Maus, I think). Sad.

7. FusionGator

FusionGator Junior

Nov 15, 2015
    Yi
    Yikes!!!

8. 1big_mfer

1big_mfer Premium Member

Dec 13, 2013
    I had a 16 Explorer and now have a 19 Explorer. Both were leases and both have had numerous problems. The 19 broke down on the turnpike when after having it for only 4 months. Will not be getting another Ford. Before that had a 2012 Honda Pilot that I loved. Was rear ended by a dump truck. Car probably saved us.

9. GatorKP

GatorKP All American

Jul 30, 2011
    --
    My mother in law bought an Explorer last year and has had numerous issues. She's not been happy at all with it.

10. insuragator

insuragator Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Wife and daughter have Hyundai's with zero problems. Much to my chagrin. Hyundai's to me are those little red pieces of crap from the early 90s. They both love theirs. My boy and I both drive fords and have no issues. this will not be popular but the way YOU drive has much to do with vehicle longevity. You do not need to be the first off the line. Hard braking is never good. Anything with moving parts needs to be taken care of. My brother in law drives like an idiot and always complains about his crappy cars. ???????

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. gator_lyn

gator_lyn Junior

Oct 28, 2017
    We want to upgrade our 08 Pilot to the brand new one. We want all the bells and whistles but it's just too expensive to purchase. Do you mind sharing your lease terms?

Do you have an option to purchase after the lease term ended?

12. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

I was torn between the fist bump and winner.

Drive them right, maintain them right, give them good clean high octane fuel and top quality synthetic oil, give em nice tires, and your vehicle will treat you well in return. If it still gives you trouble you got a bad vehicle. I’ve never had one

Last edited: Mar 23, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 2
  13. gaterzfan

gaterzfan GC Legend

Feb 6, 2020
    Good luck. Had an ‘03 Pilot and traded that on a ‘10 RDX. Had no problems with either. The RDX has some pep with the 2.4 inline turbo. Also have an ‘07 Ridgeline which has been an excellent vehicle. I’ll drive that until the wheels fall off.

Honda’s can be a little bland but they are pretty good vehicles. I’ve thought about supercharging the Ridgeline, but I’m not sure the drive train can handle a substantial increase in torque and HP. Oh well, think I’ll just buy an old street/rat rod!

• Like Like x 1
  14. WhattaGator

WhattaGator "Where's The Beef"?? (Or the crabcakes, etc.)... VIP Member "Cook Shack Chef"

Considering your wife's preference to hold on to a vehicle.....

One of your best bets would be to go with a Subaru Outback....
    Those freaking things last forever! Plus, every model has all-wheel drive.

I used to be a GSM ( General Sales Manager) for a Subaru dealership up north for several years, and the return customers told me quite a few stories about how dependable, long lasting and safe those things are, as they buy another one.

One of my salesmen was in an accident with his demo car...when I saw the car, and heard that some other car had lost control coming in the opposite direction, flipped on the median, and landed on the hood of my guy's demo...
    My guy and his girl walked away from it, with one scratch on his forearm.
    The good and engine were pushed down., heavily,and the windshield was shattered but held, because the passenger frame was built so well..... and that was back in the 80's

Check it out.

• Informative Informative x 1
  15. maxgator

maxgator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I usually agree with you... But long term longevity had nothing to do with what you just said. Brakes are brakes. Oil is oil. The things that make vehicles long term good buys are way deeper.

16. malscott

malscott Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    West Hills, Ca
    I've had the RX 350 Lexus AWD for many years. I've had three of them. That's my semi-luxury mountain vehicle. After 2015 they screwed up the design IMHO, too angular, now if you get in a fender bender it'll cost 6k to repair a bumper.

I bought my wife a 2018 Forester new a couple years back and that thing is pretty bad-ass. A tad stiff, but technically great. Fabulous sight-lines too. IMHO if you can't see out of the frigging car it blows no matter how good its supposed to be!!

We had a Honda CRV-great. My buddy bought that Telluride and loves it, I've been in that and it's really nice. I love the 4runner (tricked out kind of pricey)and that bigger one Toyota has, (the gas guzzler) for the mtns AWD 4WD can't be beat as long as you have something economical to drive around town. I have a Countryman Mini All4S, mistakenly thought that was good on gas for around town. I'm still wearing a neck brace from running over a pebble with that go-cart!!:eek::rolleyes:

Go Gators.:D

• Funny Funny x 1
  17. Madmaster

Madmaster Freshman

Nov 24, 2013
    Savannah, GA
    PM sent

18. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

Brakes? By shoes I meant tires. I’m not talking brakes, belts and hoses here. Good oil changed often will help your engine (and turbo) last longer. I change my trans fluid every 30-40K. Good clean high octane fuel will keep injectors and cylinder heads cleaner and enable the engine to work at peak efficiency. That’s what I’m talking about

19. novagator

novagator Sophomore

Jun 20, 2014
    Post was a reply to Gator_lyn. Not sure what happened

So we currently have a “Touring” trim package and will be getting the same with our next Pilot. This is one level down from the Elite. I’m going to try and post a pic here of the quote I got recently. I learned a lot since my first lease. But essentially you need to negotiate the purchase price then go from there. I got a good starting point from Truecar and USAA. Also we rolled maintenance into our payments and upgraded to 15k miles a year. The maint I negotiated down to about $20/month. Everything is negotiable. We passed on all the “protection” plans but are not passing this time. You can get a mid tier protection plan that covers tires, windshield and excess wear and tear for about $50/month. If you’re careful with your vehicles then skip the wear and tear and pay even less. We skipped it all 3 years ago and regret it. Rick busted a windshield and it cost us over $1000. You have to calibrate sensors attached to the windshield when replacing so it’s not just the glass. Also we got a screw in one tire near the sidewall so had to replace a min of 2 tires and that was another $1000. There was another incident where my wife thought AWD means you can race on ice. That was another 2 tires and $1000. On the end of lease purchase we have a buyout for $27000 on our old one and the dealer says th we will give me $28500 for it so that’s good but here’s the kicker. We leased through US Bank and they are contractually obligated to sell me the car for 27k. However if anyone else buys it they want 29500. So if I trade it in I lose $2500. So I’m going to buy it outright and then transfer to the dealer. DO NOT use anyone other than Honda Credit to lease. We will not make that mistake again. Honda Credit the lease end purchase price is the same for whoever buys it.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  20. The_Graygator

The_Graygator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    With the prices of vehicles and insurance today, you're better off buying used.

Cars made over the last 10 to 12 years or so with 100k miles today (as long as they weren't outright abused), are barely even halfway through their life now and easily good for another 100k miles.

• Agree Agree x 2