Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!
  1. Folks, you may notice glitches here and there. We are upgrading our servers shortly, please pardon the dust and hang in there. : ) Thanks for your patience.

SUV questions...

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by GatorKP, Mar 18, 2020.

1. maxgator

maxgator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I don't disagree with that at all. Perhaps I should have said design philosophy. I think that although Toyota Lexus have had some recent issues, their philosophy remains unchanged. Just as the high end imports remain unchanged.

2. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

Design philosophy and also supply chain philosophy. American car companies frequently work at odds with their suppliers, and it severely inhibits collaboration and sharing of technology. The Japanese OEMs are tightly tied to their "Keiretsu" tier suppliers -- it has worked well for them and is directly responsible for their advances in vehicle quality and reliability.

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. garettk

garettk GC Legend

Oct 3, 2008
    When looking used, some brands have lower resale, and it's not necessarily due to quality. Subaru is tops in resale value. Toyota and Honda, right there. But these dealers don't offer the deep rebates like Ford/GM/Mopar do. Less smoke and mirrors in regards to what used cost is vs. new. Nissan is very attractive on the used market, and makes a fine vehicle. But when they sell new, they target a lot of sub-prime borrowers (like Kia). Another thing to look at is rental fleets and what they are buying. A lot of Nissans and Fords make it into rental fleets. Law of supply and demand applies, as the used market gets a ton of these vehicles flowing in throughout the year. Personally, if buying used, I like to buy from an individual. That way I can ask why they are selling, get some personal history (I still believe most people are honest).

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

10-4 on the CVT. A novel idea to keep the engine in a peak efficiency or performance range, but good God all that sliding contact!......can’t possibly hold up long term

5. FusionGator

FusionGator Junior

Nov 15, 2015
    I completely agree. I have had Honda motorcycles that I absolutely abused and couldn't destroy.

We had a '96 Honda Accord that we sold with 475,000 miles. We gave our 2010 Honda Civic to our daughter for college. It has 250,000 miles on it and she frequently goes between Gainesville area and Orlando with no car worries.

I don't know of any better transmissions. The only service is drain and fill and they are smooth.

I really like the Mercedes E350, but would never buy one. The German cars are not more reliable than the Japanese. However, the cost of ownership of German cars is beyond ridiculous. The people I know that had either Benz or BMW switched to Japanese.

6. FusionGator

FusionGator Junior

Nov 15, 2015
    We have a general agreement. However, where we differ is I'm a Chevy guy over Ford any day. And I would say never lease a vehicle, any vehicle.

7. maxgator

maxgator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Disagree completely. First Nissan does not make a fine vehicle, they make crappy vehicles with CVT transmissions that fail. Right now, the worst thing you could buy in the us is a CVT transmission Nissan (the Maxima is ok because it is better engineered).
    Second, resale numbers are what people are willing to pay. Why do you think that BMWs across the line depreciate the most? Go own one for a few years and see. Obscene repair and parts costs. Likewise to the other high end German luxury vehicles. Sure that v12 s600 is a good deal at 20k...
    People get to the point that they get rid of a car because of repair costs. Cheaper to get something new than to fix it. Toyota and Honda have been for years way ahead in Long term reliability.
    I mean this isn't a secret... Just do a Google search. Resale is certainly impacted by huge discounts. But there aren't huge discounts on the hugest depreciating vehicles.

8. FusionGator

FusionGator Junior

Nov 15, 2015
    I can't speak for Nissan, but no issues with the Honda CVT.

9. maxgator

maxgator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    That's fine. But if given the mandate of buy a BMW or lease one you would come out waaay ahead leasing it That was my only point about leasing.

10. maxgator

maxgator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    You want to know what's really funny?? I had an Altima as a rental a few weeks back. They introduced fake shift points. So the transmission in fact acts like a regular transmission. I've driven an older Maxima that didn't have them and it was far better. The main reason that the CVT was introduced by ghosn across the board was for the brand to meet fuel efficiency requirements. Sad that I have to bash my former favorite. The VQ based line of engines have been among the best around for decades and I can fix and dismissed one in my sleep.

• Like Like x 1
  11. maxgator

maxgator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Different animal. I'm pretty sure Honda makes its own. The notorious Nissan ones are jatco made.

• Like Like x 1
  12. atlantagator86

atlantagator86 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Alpharetta, GA
    My last car was an Infiniti G37 sport couple. Loved the engine on that car.

• Agree Agree x 3
  13. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

I had a 2005 Nissan Altima with the 3.5 V-6 and it was an awesome car. A little hot rod and zero trouble with it. Amazing engine that seemed to win their category in the Ward’s Best Engine awards every year back in the early-mid 2000s.

Another Nissan favorite was the early Maximas that had the in-line 6 (3.0 L?) Great fun to drive. I’m guessing by now you can tell I place high value on power and fun to drive. I always preferred Nissan/Datsun over Toyota. Toyotas were boring by comparison - still are in my opinion.

Speaking of Datsun, I’ll take a 240Z please.....

14. maxgator

maxgator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Oh, I completely agree. I recommended that Altima to a family member and it's going strong. But pre CVT. I still have my old 2000 Maxima 5spd with a bunch of mods. 320k miles (I only have it because I can fix it). They were fine until cvt came and ghosn and quality went to hell. I also have a g37s with 100k which has been great.

The straight 6 you are thinking of was likely in the Datsun 510. Don't think they've put it in a modern vehicle.

15. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

I stand corrected.

I rented one of the early Maximas back in the early 2000s - maybe like 2002. Blast to drive but as a rent car I never bothered to pop the hood - always assumed it was an in-line 6 because that’s what the old Z car had, but apparently I’m wrong on that one.

Later Maximas got too big, and the Altima SE with the same 3.5 V-6 was just fantastic.

• Like Like x 1
  16. insuragator

insuragator Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Agreed I don't like Nissan anymore. When I used to travel quite a bit I got a 1994 Altima with a 5-speed. 191K miles later nothing wrong with it. I just got tired of shifting. I picked up a 2000 Nissan Frontier for my son to drive to high school. He's at UF now and I just cant bring myself to sell it. It always starts, Ice cold AC and still looks pretty good. Nissan used to make great vehicles.

• Winner Winner x 1
  17. tilly

tilly Superhero Mod. Fast witted. Bulletproof posts. Moderator VIP Member

I love my Pilot. Third row does eat up cargo space though.

• Like Like x 1
  18. beemerthegator

beemerthegator All American

Dec 1, 2019
    That is interesting. There is always more to learn. Our economy is about to undergo major changes due to the economic distress confronting us, so it will be interesting to see what changes are visible on the other side. I'm sure some things good and bad won't, but some things will.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  19. manigordo

manigordo GC Hall of Fame

Nice discussion, with one flaw....not anywhere near enough love for Subarus.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. FusionGator

FusionGator Junior

Nov 15, 2015
    I am wondering if vehicle prices are going to take a nose dive. They need a correction, especially trucks. I'm hoping they do big time, because $40k+ on a new truck is bonkers. If they do, I will be waiting to pick one off or an even cheaper used truck when the market gets flooded.

• Funny Funny x 1