Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!
  1. Folks, you may notice glitches here and there. We are upgrading our servers shortly, please pardon the dust and hang in there. : ) Thanks for your patience.

SUV questions...

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by GatorKP, Mar 18, 2020.

1. FusionGator

FusionGator Junior

Nov 15, 2015
    Starting to get to the break in point. Hope it keeps going problem free.

2. insuragator

insuragator Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I'd go with a Ford Expedition. I've never owned a better vehicle.

3. ufngineer

ufngineer Senior

Nov 27, 2011
    S. FL and philippines
    Telluride/Palisade do a have some nice features and look darn nice to boot.. Hyundai/Kia have made some positive strides in past few years. Warranty is longer than most..
    tough call

• Like Like x 1
  4. GolphinGator

GolphinGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Gainesville/ Micanopy
    I think all on your list would last a long time. Most vehicles sold today are pretty good and last a long time ad mile if you just do the regular maintenance. Look at the options you want and price. As the wife and I have gotten older we both like the bells and whistles like heated and cooled seats remote start and other stuff we could do without.

5. garettk

garettk GC Legend

Oct 3, 2008
    Very nice ride. Very limited second row leg room.

6. Nostradamus

Nostradamus GC Legend

Sep 18, 2015
    We have 7 vehicles in our household. a 1976 Ford F-150 Supercab, a 2004 Honda Accord, 1987 Bmw cabrio and all the rest Are Toyotas. 85 land cruiser, 2013 TJ cruiser, 2008 Highlander and a 2005 v8 4runner

the highlander w the third row seating is awesome. Not as capable off road as the FJ, Rrunner or land cruiser, but awd and super quiet. The Toyota’s and the honda are bulletproof in terms of reliability. I have 230k on the 4runner and 225k on the land cruiser. Wife has 89k on her fj. About 140k on the old ford and only 38k on the old BMW. Honda has 134k and runs like a top.

I’m partial to Toyota’s myself but I hear great things about Kia these days.

for what it’s worth I buy all my cars used at 3-4 years old after the original owner has eaten most of the depreciation. Paid $7k for the 4runner, 12k for the highlander(fj was purchased new for the wife) and 3k for the Accord. BMW was a gift from
    My dad and the 76 Ford was a few grand. Whole fleet is less than a new bmw or Audi. Just have to perform
    Basic maintenance and good to go.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

I bought a Ford Explorer Sport back in 2018 - twin turbo 3.5 Eco Boost engine makes 365 HP and is a blast to drive - in town and especially on long trips. It’s fun passing on 2 lanes with the paddles on the steering wheel. Zero to 60 in under 6 seconds - in an SUV with a 3rd row. 3rd row folds up into the floor.

It’s been great so far. Today’s version is the Explorer ST.

I don’t get all the hate for American cars still lingering from decades ago, along with all the love for Korean cars. Their best-looking vehicles directly copy the styling of other vehicles, and their own original designs are butt ugly.

Each to their own, but Ford is putting out some nice vehicles and their twin turbo Eco Boost engines are very impressive.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  8. GCNumber7

GCNumber7 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Atlas is the best bang for your buck out there. If you can find a 2019, you get 6 years, 72 month bumper to bumper warranty which is hard to beat. Unfortunately the warranty drops to 4 years in 2020.

• Informative Informative x 1
  9. FusionGator

FusionGator Junior

Nov 15, 2015
    I think the "love" for Korean vehicles stems from their cheap entry level options and warranties.

I don't think their is a hatred towards American vehicles. (What does that even mean anymore? My Honda was made in the U.S., while my Chevy was made in Mexico from mostly Canadian parts) . But I know you refer to the big 3.

My Chevy S10 has over 374,000 miles. For me personally, outside of trucks and the Corvette, there is nothing from the big 3 that I have any interest in.

The Japanese vehicles are rock solid, safe, and run forever, and proven. What's not to like about that? American brands have made strides from the 80s, but unfortunately I just don't feel like they are on the same level yet.

Just my opinion.

• Agree Agree x 6
  10. beemerthegator

beemerthegator All American

Dec 1, 2019
    Safest SUV on the road and an awesome vehicle. But it is also in a very different price category. You are looking at $50k for a base model, $60k or more for the higher end. (Although in a few months you may be able to get one at a huge discount.)

11. MarineG8R

MarineG8R Senior

Nov 19, 2014
    I had a 96 4 Runner forever and loved it. Had to get rid of it because we added a third child and needed the third row. Went with the Pilot and loved it. We did look at the Highlander but the 3rd row seating was cramped compared to the Pilot. I agree on the look of the new 4 runners.

This might not go over well but have you considered the Odyssey? My wife has had 2 and absolutely loves them. Great with younger kids.

From your list I would test drive the Toyota, Pilot. I would consider looking at the Kia and Subaru 3rd row cars as well. Both have good reviews.

12. beemerthegator

Dec 1, 2019
    Yes the old days of "import v. domestic" are long gone. It is far more complex now.

BMWs are made an hour south of me in Greenville, SC. Mercedes vehicles are made in Alabama. Mercedes vans are made near Charleston, NC. Lots of Honda and Toyota vehicles made in the southern U.S. states. Even vehicles manufactured by the Big 3 in the U.S. have lots of parts made outside the U.S.

Here is a wikipedia page showing where many popular vehicles are made: List of automobiles manufactured in the United States - Wikipedia

• Informative Informative x 2
  13. maxgator

maxgator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I'm just going to be the jerk in this conversation. If you ever buy an Audi you are an idiot. Likewise don't buy a BMW don't buy a Mercedes. Those are car you lease. She's coming from a 2001 Toyota 4Runner. Those are not in the same world.
    I don't think there is any hate for Ford trucks. They are at the top of the heap. Although, since I keep my vehicles forever, my definition of what a good vehicle is may be different than others. Your truck for example... If I was planning on keeping it for 10 years, not would I be leery of the twin turbos. I've played a lot with turbos and I can tell you people are going to be shocked at the long term expense of owning a turbo vehicle. They will go and they will be expensive.

Having said that, gm doesn't make vehicles that last and are reliable like Toyota and Honda. Look around on the road at older tricks and SUVs. You know what you see... Toyotas. All over the place. 4runners Tacoma's I see 10 for every comparable year ford or gm.

Other car companies just need to be avoided... Nissan has turned to shit. Stay away from their CVT vehicles. Honestly most of their vehicles (and this is coming from a guy who has owned several maximas (I still have a2k with 300k miles on it - but it would be long gone if I didn't do all the work myself) and a
    Those days aren't gone at all imo. You can make it where you want, but the design and parts decisions still stem from the manufacturer. BMW, Mercedes Audi and others still make expensive cars that depreciate immensely and quickly and which are disgustingly expensive to fix. Toyota and Honda still make long term reliable and lasting vehicles. Ford still makes great trucks. Gm still makes marginal vehicles when it comes to long term ownership.
    Hyundai\kia are I'm the process of establishing who they will be and I don't think the verdict is out yet.
    And Nissan, well my former favorite car company now makes garbage... Thank you ghosn and Renault.

14. atlantagator86

atlantagator86 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Alpharetta, GA
    I went through this a couple years ago and I bought a 2013 Lexus GX460 with low mileage and got a really good deal. It's basically a Toyota 4-Runner with a lot of bells and whistles.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. 62gator

62gator GC Hall of Fame

Dec 4, 2007
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    F-L-A is the land of KIA’s now, they’re everywhere, and this is the primary reason, imho, they’re cheap.

My last 4 vehicles have all been Honda’s with great satisfaction. They are well built cars and the engines are phenomenal. My current ride is just short of 200k and has required no major repairs. I was in the market for a new one but will probably now wait for a 21 model.

16. GatorSean

GatorSean GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    I wouldn't buy a Kia again. My Sedona essentially died at just 80k and became very unsafe to drive (it would literally stall while driving on the freeway... it's not fun to suddenly loose power steering at 65 mph) and their 'incredible warranty' has so many loop holes and small print which allows them to not cover what would normally be covered, it's pretty worthless. Plus their resale values are crap. If you get one you have to keep it forever and hope it last longer than mine.

Toyota, Honda, Subaru are the only cars I consider now. FWIW, my Toyota was built in the US. The last Ford I owned a couple of years ago was built primarily in Turkey but the doors were assembled in Baltimore and that allowed them to call it 'Made in the US'.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2020
  17. atlantagator86

atlantagator86 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Alpharetta, GA
    I've always been a big Honda and Toyota fan, and so has Consumer Reports, but something has happened with both of them over the last roughly 10 years. Toyota and Honda were almost always #1 and 2 by a wide margin in every applicable category in CR, but they've both fallen considerably in reliability (particularly Honda), which was always their strongest feature.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

What a jerk. Just kidding.....

Yes I was initially very skeptical of turbos, and I also think there’s reason to doubt their “long term” reliability. I change my Mobil 1 every 3000 miles which helps. And Ford has been building a lot of experience with all the 4 cyl and 6 cyl Eco Boost engines on the road. So we will see how they hold up long term. Also consider there are a lot of high-mileage turbo Diesel engines out there in cars and heavy trucks....

I doubt I’ll hang onto it much beyond 100K miles because we take long road trips, and sometimes my wife drives the 5 hours to Charleston by herself to see our daughter, and I want us and her in something relatively new.

We only have 2 vehicles, and the other is a 2010 F-150 with a V-8 and that’s the one I’ll keep “long term”. I used to do everything from water pumps to brakes to even exhaust pipes myself, but don’t have the passion for it much anymore - plus my Ford vehicles have been reliable with hardly any issues (knock knock).

I leased the “newer car” for years but when I retired I paid cash for the new Explorer. Leasing makes good sense under the right conditions.

Go Gators.

• Like Like x 1
  19. beemerthegator

Dec 1, 2019
    I agree with you about Nissan/Infiniti. I've owned Infiniti, Porsche, BMW, Acura, and Lexus -- those cars do in fact cost A LOT more to maintain. At times some of them have been worth it due to better reliability, at other times not. I forked about over $400 yesterday to replace a dead battery in my daughter's small BMW, a car purchased as certified pre-owned for about $24k (so a pretty goo deal) but maintenance is way too expensive and its reliability has not been good.

In terms of reliability, the car companies go through ups and downs. Toyota had had some real struggles a few years ago. Acura is still having them. Lexus used to be the gold standard, but not any more.

In terms of the "import v. domestic" analysis, I respectfully disagree and believe you underestimate the impact of globalization. Engineering and design services, for the past 20 years, have been undergoing the same outsourcing changes as other industries and jobs. And there are state and local governments, communities, and employees all throughout the southern U.S. benefiting tremendously from the presence of BMW, Mercedes, Kia/Hyundai, Toyota, Honda, Volkswagen, and others. The "foreign" manufacturers have had a huge impact -- certainly to the detriment of the rust belt, but still the economic benefit is shared. The economic world is a very different place than it was 30 years ago.

20. MarineG8R

MarineG8R Senior

Nov 19, 2014
    Jerk!

• Funny Funny x 1