Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

SUV questions...

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by GatorKP, Mar 18, 2020.

1. GatorKP

GatorKP All American

Jul 30, 2011
    So my wife has a 2001 Toyota 4 runner. Been a great car. We know eventually we'll need something else. Honestly, she's ready for something new. For some reason, she's not digging her cassette tapes anymore. What can you do?

While we've loved this 4 runner, my wife thinks the new models look to masculine and doesn't want that. She wants something with 3rd row seating too. Here are the ones we're considering.

1) Toyota Highlander - we do love Toyotas and have obviously had great success.
    2) Honda Pilot - looks pretty sharp
    3) Nissan Rogue - see above
    4) Chevy Traverse - seems to be a little lower in price
    5) Kia Telluride - looks great but my concern is that it's so new we'll start finding out bad things later.

Anybody have opinions on any of these? Thanks in advance.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2020
  2. garettk

garettk GC Legend

Oct 3, 2008
    After having gone through the search earlier in the year, just my humble opinion:

The top four, just blend into the landscape as ho-hum. For service and reliability, the top three are the top three.
    Test drove the Kia. Wow, was really impressed.
    End of the day, due to various aspects, went with Volkswagen Atlas. Have been very pleased.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. danmann65

danmann65 GC Legend

May 22, 2015
    I am in a weird age category. I dont buy american as too poorly made and I dont buy Korean because they are to new into the game. Japanese and german is where I would go. But really why aren't you considering a model Y?

• Like Like x 1
  4. beemerthegator

beemerthegator All American

Dec 1, 2019
    I'm a big fan of Consumer Reports when it comes to researching and buying cars. And I recently went through the process when we had to get a new SUV for my wife. We were looking in the same category of cars.

I would suggest you give serious consideration to the Kia Telluride and the Hyundai Palisade. Those two scored the highest. My wife refused to look at one of those and we went with a Subaru Outback XT. She probably would have gotten the Ascent but the Outback had a little better mileage.

If your wife loved the 4-runner, I think the Highlander is a great option. The Highlander is very close to the old 4-runners. You might also want to take a look at the Mazda CX-9. It is a sharp looking car and my wife liked it a lot.

The "Recommended" vehicles from CR in this category, in order of rank, are the following:

1. Kia Telluride;
    2. Hyundai Palisade;
    3. Subaru Outback;
    4. Maza CX-9;
    5. Toyota Highlander; and
    6. Subaru Ascent.

Those are the only 6 that got the "recommended" rating for 2020.

• Like Like x 1
  5. FusionGator

FusionGator Junior

Nov 15, 2015
    You absolutely can't go wrong with Honda or Toyota. I am a dependability and high mileage kind of guy and don't even consider a vehicle if I don't feel pretty confident of getting a minimum of 10 years and 250,000 miles.

Honda's and Toyota's hold value, parts are plentiful, they are relatively cheap to work on, insurance is reasonable, and they are damn near indestructible, and they run forever.

So the very first question you need to answer for yourself is do you want the things I mentioned above, or do you want a fashion statement?

Once you do that, you will at least narrow your options.

• Winner Winner x 4
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  6. GatorKP

GatorKP All American

Jul 30, 2011
    And to make this Gator football related, I need something new to fly my flags on during football season :)

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  7. 01G8R

01G8R Freshman

Oct 30, 2010
    Don't have any on your list, but 2 family members have the Volvo XC90 and love it.

8. orangebluegator

orangebluegator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    I recently shopped these vehicles as well.

Does your wife only hate the lack of technology? That 4runner can probably last her forever, and you can just change out the head unit for something fancy...maybe something with a backup screen. If you want new tech because of the safety features, that is probably the best reason to upgrade to something newer. The highlander got refreshed before I could look at it, but I was down to an Acura MDX and Hyundai Palisade. Nearly got the Palisade as it has a ton of features of the price, and has a nice 3rd row. The Telluride is built on the same platform, so they would be very similar. The highlander's refresh looks pretty good, and it will probably last you the next 20 years.

Ultimately, a 3 row SUV didn't make much sense compared to a minivan for me, as I have newborn and a toddler to manage. Makes much more sense if you're hauling around young kids and you need to haul their things while using the 3rd row. The big crossovers and SUVs don't offer much room in the trunk once the 3rd row is up, and don't have sliding doors. Unless you're off-roading or towing frequently, I don't see why a SUV makes sense over a minivan.

As for the Model Y, I have a Model 3, and think the Y would've been our choice if it came out before the 3. If we didn't want to have a mix of electric and gas vehicles, I would definitely consider getting a Y to go with the 3, nothing beats the convenience of a minivan.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. believer

believer GC Legend

Jun 2, 2007
    The hennessey venom gt costs a little more and isn’t an SUV but it’s probably more fun to drive and won’t flip as easy.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. fox

fox GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Florida Beachland
    Lease a Lexus until there is an electric model out you want to buy.

11. Matherly87

Matherly87 VIP Member

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    I still have my 2004 Honda Pilot with 198,000 miles. I bought it new and still runs great but does need some TLC. I can attest its been a great car, well built, and I will miss it when the time comes. I think the new ones look great as well so that's my first place to shop. Insurance has been great because when it came time to add my teenage son onto the Pilot it was dirt cheap for the monthly. Even the agent's office was surprised you could add a teenage for that price. I have rarely used the third row and have kept it folded flat for most the time I've had it. But it was comfortable for a fold flat bench seat.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. maxgator

maxgator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I'm going to echo this as well. It really is about what you want. I have an 02 sr5 2wd that I bought from my neighbor for 1000 for my son who just started driving. It needed a bunch of work which I could do. Upgraded to tundra brakes and added a head unit. But it is old and under powered.

I'm a long time Nissan guy who has owned many. Let me just say don't touch that rogue and it's CVT tranny. Eliminate it NOW. That's a disaster waiting to happen.

My love of 4runners has grown since buying the old girl. It is just a classic reliable body on frame. LOVE the look of the new high end ones but they are 50 60 k. Imo, win looks hands down but I'm a guy.

So, eliminating the rogue, is next eliminate the vw. Long term treated costs on a vw are always expensive as hell. At least you didn't list an x5.

The rest... The jury is out imo.

Edit. Let me add this. Consumer reports is really good at telling you about the current vehicle and how it compares. But if you want to do a test, count how many 3rd gen t4rs you see in a week. I see tons. How many Pathfinders of similar years? Sadly none. Those old Toyotas are gold... So... Is it 4wd and what your asking?;)

Last edited: Mar 18, 2020
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. apkgator

apkgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    The Telluride is sure getting rave reviews from every sector.
    The Audi A7 is a great vehicle but pretty overpriced
    The Enclave and CX9 are certainly not sexy, but they are roomy and great values IMO

14. novagator

novagator Sophomore

Jun 20, 2014
    Our lease is up on our 2017 Pilot and we will be getting another one. Absolutely love it for our family. Only issue, which we learned the hard way is the 3rd row is absolutely useless if you have car seats in the second row. This can be avoided by going with captains chairs in the newer model. Third row passengers can now step through to the back instead of trying to get in through the trunk. Captains chairs were only available in the highest trim package previously. This is no longer the case.

15. SJB612

SJB612 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 12, 2007
    After doing research on a bunch of SUVs, my wife is trading in her BMW X6 for a Kia Telluride SX, fully loaded with AWD and prestige package (heads up display, etc.). We had to special order it and it was supposed to be here in February, then they changed the date to yesterday, and then they changed the date to tomorrow. I'm not sure we will ever get it, but if it shows up tomorrow, I'll let you know how it goes. I felt comfortable getting the Telluride, even though it has only been around a little while. I have a 2019 Kia Stinger GT2 with a 10 year, 150,000 mile bumper to bumper warranty (cost a few bucks more over the standard 5 year/60k warranty, but we drive a lot for work), and will get the same for the Telluride. Not really worried about repairs with that in hand. Have had the Stinger for a year and no problems. It is awesome (and hauls ass with the twin turbos - 0 to 60 in 4.5 seconds).

16. wygator

wygator GC Hall of Fame

Mar 31, 2010
    Kia is now one of the highest rated manufacturers in initial quality. We bought a high mileage Sorrento two years ago and have yet to do a significant repair besides a brake job. Still very quiet and solid, love it!

• Like Like x 2
  17. thekentuckygator

thekentuckygator GC Hall of Fame

Oct 8, 2018
    Kentucky
    PM sent.

• Like Like x 1
  18. FusionGator

FusionGator Junior

Nov 15, 2015
    Kia has made great strides and I like some of their stuff. But I'm not willing to pull the trigger on any of them yet because I don't have faith in them after 100,000 miles. I hope they continue to improve in longevity.

19. swamp life

swamp life Freshman

Aug 12, 2017
    Jacksonville
    Bought my wife 2017 Kia Sorrento.. 3rd row seating. WOW is it nice.Wife loves it.

• Like Like x 1
  20. wygator

wygator GC Hall of Fame

Mar 31, 2010

I bought ours with 150,000 miles, at 180,000 now. Drove to Anaheim and back over Christmas, set the cruise at 80 for the Wyoming part of the trip.