Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Supreme Court says Second Amendment guarantees right to carry guns in public

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by GatorGrowl, Jun 23, 2022.

1. flgator2

flgator2 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Gainesville
    No where

2. flgator2

flgator2 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Gainesville
    Canadians caught in gun buying frenzy | The Manila Times. Looks like New Zealand it is
    [​IMG]

3. flgator2

flgator2 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Gainesville
    Between guns and Covid, you guys don't stand chance

4. flgator2

flgator2 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Gainesville
    From the Clintons

• Funny Funny x 2
  5. 1990Gator

1990Gator VIP Member

Dec 30, 2013
  6. gator10010

gator10010 VIP Member

Aug 23, 2008
    That's not what the court said but keep drumming up the drama.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. ridgetop

ridgetop GC Hall of Fame

Aug 4, 2020
    Top of the ridge
    Hand wringing and pearl clutching.
    OH my… New York and Cali will no longer be able to tell regular middle class/ lower class citizens that they can’t carry their gun out side to protect themselves? Only the rich and powerful need that right. Only the select few should be allowed to protect their families with firearms. Only a select few should be able to CCW. 2 separate caste of citizens.

Whatever will happen when the commoners get the same rights? The streets will run with blood. It’s the old west. Shoot outs every weekend.
    Of course those things happen now.. every weekend by non law abiding criminals and thugs.
    Muggings, rapes, carjackings, etc… so much easier when the victim isn’t allowed to be armed and is a rule follower and the criminal is armed because well.. criminal. We have all seen the numerous reports of a CCW individual being able to stop a personal attack or crime.
    I have long said I think there needs to be more training involved in CCW. I have long said that red flag laws ( with checks and balances) need to be enacted. I have long said we need to move the minimum age to buys a gun to 21( I prefer 24).
    But this ruling doesn’t really change much on the street level. Bad guys will still carry like they always have .Good guys will carry and 99 percent of the time no one will know the difference. Just like in the vast majority of states around our nation.
    All this ruling did was strike down certain states who applied a constitutional right to a few select citizens and denied it to the rest.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. gatorchamps960608

gatorchamps960608 GC Hall of Fame

Jul 4, 2020
    Nothing coming forward will be surprising from this corrupt court any more, bought and paid for with millions from Federalist Society allies including the NRA.

They start with a conclusion and have their law clerks work their way backwards in time to find justifications, contradicting themselves and ignoring decades of modern precedent by citing law from the 16 and 1700s to make their cases.

• Come On Man Come On Man x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. mutz87

mutz87 p=.06 VIP Member

Aug 30, 2014
    Got it. Agree.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  10. tampagtr

tampagtr VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    The more I think about it, I think these justices, steeped in this movement for 50 years, view this not so much as a Second Amendment case but as a First Amendment case, specifically the Free Exercise Clause. Based upon the culture of their movement, to deny someone the right to carry their gun where they wish is to deny them the right to freely exercise their deeply held religious beliefs.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2022
    • Funny Funny x 1
  11. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    I understand your frustration with the way the SCOTUS reads laws and how they come to certain conclusions that might not make sense to you and other people. I sometime feel the same way when they rule against my point of view too.

Maybe the right to own and bare arms really supersedes the Constitution and our founding fathers... Maybe it's an unalienable right?

12. wgbgator

wgbgator Premium Member

Apr 19, 2007
    Why do people who love the cops the most always indict their abject failure on crime when it comes to rationalizing why everyone should arm themselves. If cops cant stop crime, it seems to follow that making everyone cops wont stop crime either, probably make it worse in fact, now that everyone can fancy themselves a deputy.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Fire and exhaust caused by an little explosion in at tube that pushes out a projectile... All the same.

14. ridgetop

ridgetop GC Hall of Fame

Aug 4, 2020
    Top of the ridge
    So laws stop criminals? Who enforces those laws?
    If laws do not stop criminals from raping, home invasions, carjacking, illegally carrying a gun, etc… then maybe we should stop making up all these laws.
    If laws do stop criminals.. as one has already claimed in this thread.. then those that uphold the laws.. LE..are an important variable in stopping crime and maybe having more people armed and ready to stop said crime would be beneficial.

The vast vast majority of CCW permit holders are law abiding citizens. The people causing the most gun violence every single weekend are not CCW permit holders. They are the criminals that run the streets with illegal guns, bought/stolen illegally, carried illegally, used illegally. And weirdly, certain DAs feel the need to keep putting those criminals back on the streets.
    How about we start by focusing on those that have broken the laws repeatedly. Let’s start having severe and harsh consequences for carrying an illegal gun, start putting prison sentences for being caught with a gun that is not registered to you, that you are carrying without a permit. Instead of throwing those criminals back out into society.
    So yeah.. I think having law abiding citizens allowed to arm themselves a good idea.. especially when the head cold around the nation don’t do their job and keep returning thugs to the streets.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. wgbgator

wgbgator Premium Member

Apr 19, 2007
    Laws don't stop criminals either, though it certainly creates them in many cases (with the help of cops). Your whole framing of this is that there is just some natural criminal class lurking out there, rather than people who have been criminalized by various circumstances and decisions.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2022
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
  16. PerSeGator

PerSeGator GC Hall of Fame

Jun 14, 2014
    And even more perniciously, the same people will use what they claim is a "constitutional right" (concealed carry) to justify cops murdering citizens in the street.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. mutz87

mutz87 p=.06 VIP Member

Aug 30, 2014
    You might think it's a good thing, but the founders didn't, which is why they limited public carry largely to Militia purposes for security and to put down insurrections. Limited exceptions were mainly when people could show cause for their own safety in public.

18. wgbgator

wgbgator Premium Member

Apr 19, 2007
    The natural outgrowth of everyone getting to be a cop is to transfer the same sort of immunities to the people who want to act like cops when they gun down a person they thought was stealing a pack of gum or when they act in 'self-defense.'

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. reboundgtr

reboundgtr VIP Member

Oct 14, 2017
    Jawja
    Do you carry? Nice emotional dramatic response regarding everyone being a cop.

20. wgbgator

wgbgator Premium Member

Apr 19, 2007
    I dont, because I dont want to be a cop