Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Summerall just went to the transfer portal (NOW RETURNING! . . . See Post #30)

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by dadx4, Dec 2, 2021.

1. dadx4

dadx4 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Gainesville, Fl
    According to Twitterverse.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  2. GatorLuke

GatorLuke GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Florida
    I wonder if any of these players have even spoken to Napier. Crazy times with the portal but it is what it is. We will definitely need the portal this year to fill in some spots.

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. MCB51

MCB51 GC Hall of Fame

Nov 23, 2015
    FL
    As I posted on another thread..what's the hurry..meet the new coach first..they may really like him..

• Agree Agree x 9
  4. garettk

garettk GC Hall of Fame

Oct 3, 2008
    Two thoughts: 1, they can still choose to return; 2, with Christmas break coming up, there may be a timing issue in regards to staff. No idea. I looked an there doesn't seem to be a deadline. They may just want to be be first for spot at a desirable landing spot.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. exiledgator

exiledgator Gruntled

Jan 5, 2010
    Maine
    Is putting one's name in before ESD beneficial for that player?

I could see how it could be...

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  6. gatorpower

gatorpower GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    I think it's just players being pissed off at the administration.

Guys like Bogle and Summerall would be getting a lot of snaps next year. Grantham was arguably the 3rd worst DC in the conference for the past 2 seasons. Not sure why anyone would see him leaving as anything other than a positive.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  7. tegator80

tegator80 GC Hall of Fame

May 29, 2007
    Richmond, VA
    I guess if you need a mental reset then go have at it. But to me, when you are getting a new regime, meet and talk to them first and if you hear some things that give you hope, get through spring practice. And then if your talent level does not meet the standard for two regimes THEN transfer.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. iwannaperfectseason

iwannaperfectseason GC Legend

Dec 5, 2009
    If I'm reading the stats right, he was tied for 30th in tackles. Bogle was tied for 12th place.

9. eastowest

eastowest GC Hall of Fame

May 13, 2007
    [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. 32250Gator

32250Gator GC Hall of Fame

Jan 4, 2013
    Hoping some of the players who entered the portal are just doing so to preserve their option to leave & are planning to meet the new staff to see where they fit in. With the defense being historically bad the last few seasons it seems crazy for a defensive player to leave. I’d think every defensive position would be a wide open competition with no preconceived opinions by the new staff.

• Agree Agree x 4
  11. MarineG8R

MarineG8R GC Hall of Fame

Nov 19, 2014
    Probably some negative recruiting going on as well. Hopefully CBN gets a nice DC hire in place soon and these kids change their mind.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. kes

kes GC Hall of Fame

May 26, 2007
    DeLand, FL
    I wonder if coach N addressed the team yet. I would hope so. It could be a result of what was or wasn’t said. Maybe if AR and Evers got a call, maybe someone feels jilted for not getting called.

13. Tito22

Tito22 GC Hall of Fame

May 13, 2007
    Damn. I actually thought him and Bogle would do some work next year too.

14. army_gator03

army_gator03 GC Legend

Oct 5, 2019
    I have a feeling that Napier will bring discipline back to the program. That means no more rolling your jersey up to show your abs. No more white undershirt hanging way below the bottom of the jersey. Some kids just can’t handle that kind of structure. It’s better to let those kinds go before they become cancers in the locker room.

• Come On Man Come On Man x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  15. chemgator

chemgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    I don't care how they wear their jerseys and undershirts. (Our defense in the 1980's wore their jerseys and undershirts in every way imaginable, and they dominated team after team.) I want to know that the players on defense are willing to tackle properly and hit as hard as the rules allow. Louis Oliver used to show as much abs as he possibly could--I think he wanted the opposing ballcarriers to get a good look at the physique of the guy who was going to knock them unconscious. It's embarrassing to see Florida Gator defenders throw themselves at the feet of opposing ballcarriers and hope the runner trips over them. My daughter could probably do that (although, at 68 pounds, I rather she didn't). At age four, she could plow her forehead into my thigh (as high as she could hit me) at full speed and wrap up with both hands better than most of our current defenders. All I want is for the defense to look a little more manly than a kicker with anemia when they have a chance to make a tackle. That's where the cancer is--not in the clothing choices.

BTW, UF had a basketball coach come into the program in the 1980's (Don DeVoe, formerly with Tennessee) who insisted the players get hair cuts and change the way they dress, etc. It was an absolute disaster (7-21 season, after going 21-13 the year before with most of the same players). I don't think he lasted a year.

I agree with discipline in general, but not necessarily in the dress code department.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 7
    • Like Like x 2
  16. coach

coach GC Hall of Fame

Dec 5, 2008
    Boca Raton
    You would think Guys that hadn't played much would be excited with change in coaching staff. Potential new opportunities.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. MyakkaGator

MyakkaGator GC Hall of Fame

He was tied to zipperer because both came out of Lakeland..

Hopefully he doesn't hit the portal too.

18. GatorBowl1969

GatorBowl1969 Senior

Jul 4, 2011
    Who?

19. chemgator

chemgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    I thought this thread was about Pat Summerall. He went to the transfer portal in 2013...

• Funny Funny x 1
  20. GatorMatt06

GatorMatt06 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 4, 2008
    Atlanta, GA
    Lol the rolling up jerseys as a sign of lack of discipline cracked me up. That’s another “guess my age” kind of post.

I do agree that Billy is known for details and discipline though so if you’re worried about having to work a lot harder to get on the field when you already don’t today? Might be time to transfer.

I believe he never gained enough mass too. We definitely have some of the “we need a higher ranked class” specials jumping ship right now.