Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Summer Baseball

Discussion in 'Diamond Gators' started by BSBLGATOR, May 26, 2020.

1. BSBLGATOR

BSBLGATOR VIP Member

Aug 19, 2018
    I now can confirm the Florida League is moving forward with a summer season. I do not have all the details yet but know they are planning to start mid June for two weeks of training and games begin early July. The goal will be to play 30 games in 45 days. Curious to see how the rosters shake out and how many Gators are in this league now. There is typically a cap of how many players can be from one school per team. Will be interesting to see how it shakes out.

• Informative Informative x 2
  2. stingbb

stingbb Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Yeah, I heard the Florida League will actually have two separate leagues this year. One will be a DI invitation-only league and the other a lower DII league. Either way, with a lot of the bigger and better leagues being canceled this summer, it will be interesting to see if the Florida League can take advantage and take the next step in being an actual option for the better collegiate players around the country.

• Like Like x 1
  3. apkgator

apkgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    They have always run two leagues. As you say, the upper league has more D1 or high D2. The lower league historically had a lot of recent high school grads but I bet they limit those this year...my son played the lower league the summer between high school and freshman year

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. gatorbogey

gatorbogey GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    s. e. florida
    Which Florida towns participate in the league? And, any possibility that the new gator venue could host a team?...filled with mostly gators, too?! Sully could coach?!

5. apkgator

apkgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Altamonte, Winter Park, Winter Garden, Sanford, Deland, Leesburg

As I mentioned above, they have historically run two leagues, the lower level being called the Futures League. As Sting mentioned in his post, their plan this summer is to have basically a D1 and a D league.....it's not clear if they will also have the "Futures League" from what I have seen. I'm assuming the D2 league will replace Futures.

6. Matherly87

Matherly87 VIP Member

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    Hopefully we get more info on their schedules and players. Sanford, Deland and Leesburg would all be easy drives to check out if they allow fans at a distance.

7. gatorbogey

gatorbogey GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    s. e. florida
    I go thru Deland on my alternate route up - off the turnpike - to avoid sunpass charges. Assuming they play at where Stetson plays?

• Like Like x 1
  8. apkgator

apkgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    I'm not sure if they are still using the same venues as when my guy played.....it was West Orange HS, Lake Brantley HS, Rollins for Winter Park, old Sanford Stadium, played at Lake Sumter and/or Pat Thomas Stadium in Leesburg, multiple venues in Deland including Stetson.
    From my experience social distancing wouldn't be hard given the crowd sizes lol

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  9. Matherly87

Matherly87 VIP Member

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    Maybe bring a glove and we can throw it around some. Doubt I can still get it from 2nd to 1st. So you might have to take a few steps in. LOL

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. Matherly87

Matherly87 VIP Member

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    That city field where Stetson plays would be ideal for me. I few seats even have some late afternoon shade from the over hang.

11. apkgator

apkgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    I think all have some shade except for west orange and lk brantley

12. GatorLurker

GatorLurker GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    @wingtee and I joke about pitching again, but we would need relay men.

• Funny Funny x 3
  13. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    Lurk—

That would be 100% correct. Can you imagine or figure how many relay men we would need for a “long toss” session?:D

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    I think that I might still get a knuckleball somewhere in the vicinity of the plate, but that was best I could do way back when anyway.

Maybe one fastball and then a week of ibuprofen followed by surgery.

Added in edit: Long toss is great because it gets to your natural mechanics. I was a natural three quarter arm slot with a lot of arm side motion. When long tossing I had to aim really far to the left to get the ball to the right place.

I could throw straight overhand, but it never felt natural. Throwing like that would have ruined my arm in a hurry.

• Like Like x 1
  15. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    Your long toss assessment for natural mechanics is spot on. That basically is what I used to do with the guys when they were a little younger and growing into their game—I would get everyone loose and put them in line in CF single file—then hit them fungo that they would need to come in on (so you automatically have their momentum going in the right direction) and have them “throw him out at the plate”.

We were able to determine each player’s true arm slot that was the most natural and injury free throwing motion for them.

• Creative Creative x 1
  16. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    I have always wondered if the natural arm slot was something you were born with or something you developed when learning how to throw. I do not know. I have always thought that the straight overhand throwing motion was totally unnatural, but I really wanted it so that I could throw a yellowhammer. Instead I could run a fastball inside on the hands. Which one is a better pitch to have?

Speaking about being a righty throwing to righties.

I mostly threw four seamers and cutters to lefties. And then the occasional two seamer that they would chase.

Last edited: May 30, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  17. paidinfull

paidinfull GC Legend

Feb 22, 2017
    I couldn’t pitch, didn’t hit very well either, but had a high on base percentage. What really set me apart was my fielding, I was probably somewhere below average at that. Ah....the good ol days.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  18. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    Lurk—

For me the natural arm slot is shown when you put the player in the scenario we’re talking about. Now for me it is just as crucial to teach the proper footwork that goes along with the power throwing motion so that the back and legs are both contributing to the power as well as absorbing the shock of deceleration that throwing the baseball creates on the arm.

• Like Like x 1
  19. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    But by the time you saw them they were not, and this will sound sexist, "throwing like a girl". And by that I don't mean underhanded and at high velocity. They had developed a way of throwing for years. Was the right arm slot for them something genetic or was it learned from the beginning?

And submariners are just freaks. No way is that natural.

20. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    We were probably putting our players in Marianna through this drill by 11-12 year old all stars and attempting to keep a practiced habit from that point in time.

And to try to answer your question honestly it was more than likely a simple combination of exactly what you suggested—somewhat genetically inherited and somewhat learned. IMHO the natural arm slot (which they naturally fall into working this drill) when put “in a spotlight “ to make your best throw and then the support of proper footwork and follow through is more learned.

• Like Like x 1