Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Sully delivers the baseball superpower Gators always wanted (TU Feature)

Discussion in 'Diamond Gators' started by gatorjjh, Jun 13, 2018.

1. gatorjjh

gatorjjh A Gator with a Glass half full attitude VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl
    Gene Frenette: Sully delivers the baseball superpower Gators always wanted

Three years ago, after Florida clinched its fourth College World Series berth in six seasons, head coach Kevin O’Sullivan finally felt comfortable enough to admit his program had achieved equality with his two biggest in-state rivals.

Miami and FSU have done it for a long time, that’s kind of what we want to do,” O’Sullivan told me heading into the 2015 CWS. “You want to be relevant every year. I want this to be one of the elite progams.”

The coach known as “Sully” and his Gators are not only there, but Florida — in addition to totally dominating the Hurricanes (winning 26 of the last 33) and Seminoles (winning 17 of the last 20) in recent years — is approaching baseball juggernaut status that only a handful of programs in NCAA history have known.

read the rest at Gene Frenette: Sully delivers the baseball superpower Gators always wanted

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  2. wingtee

wingtee GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    Latitude Margaritaville
    First time Gene has written anything worth a chit in a while.

• Funny Funny x 2
  3. DoubleDown11

DoubleDown11 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 12, 2007
    People used to argue with me when I said this program was underachieving with previous coaches and was capable of being a perennial Omaha team that stockpiled talent.

If I were a better person, I'd let it go and just enjoy where the program is now. :devil:

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. gatorjjh

gatorjjh A Gator with a Glass half full attitude VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl
    You could easily make a similar parallel to our football program Sully/SOS

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. gatorbogey

gatorbogey Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    s. e. florida
    It’s tough to compete with perennial power Miami....and FSU — when they were such regulars in Omaha. And winning CWS titles, too! Well, one was more successful in Omaha....

To do what Sully has done is remarkable. Hard to be 3rd fiddle up against goliaths. Throw in LSU too into the mix!

To me, he’s a lot like Donovan: take a program not known for that sport and build it to juggernaut status....start off out hustling others in recruiting, then become a CEO type and craft your coaching acumen too during the journey to the top.

Where Sully departs is that he continues to get the top recruits - now thru reputation....and results! , ...donovan didn’t because he wasn’t going to “cheat” or ....for lack of a better descriptor: “pay” for access to top recruits...or cut deals with handlers and shoe salesmen, etc.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  6. GatorHighlights

GatorHighlights GC Hall of Fame

Dec 11, 2009
    • Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. gocartmozart

gocartmozart Sophomore

Apr 10, 2016
    “Pitching U” indeed.[/QUOTE]

Florida is not the original P.U.