Welcome home, fellow Gator

...to the Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Successful New Mosquito Control Experiment

Discussion in 'GatorTail Pub' started by GatorNavy, Jul 11, 2018.

1. GatorNavy

GatorNavy Damn the torpedoes! Moderator Premium Member

Apr 9, 2007
    Space Coast
    Here is an article on a successful test which greatly reduced the mosquito population in areas of Australia. I didn't realize the Aedes aegypti mosquito which spreads the Zika virus in south Florida is an invasive species.

"Although the majority of mosquitoes don't spread diseases, the three mostly deadly types -- the Aedes, Anopheles and Culex -- are found almost all over the world and are responsible for around (17%) of infectious disease transmissions globally."

Australian experiment wipes out over 80% of disease-carrying mosquitoes - CNN

• Informative Informative x 2
  2. WhattaGator

WhattaGator All Along The Watchtower Moderator VIP Member

Man! Would it be great if this works!

3. mh2os

mh2os VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Grapevine, TX
    when is this coming to the USA?

4. LakeGator

LakeGator Mostly Harmless Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Tampa
    This sounded familiar so I did one of those fancy new fangled Interweb search thingies. After many microseconds of searching I found several articles and a video from one of the most authoritative insect control site, Accuweather, that describes how they were doing this in South Florida. Some people would count that as the USA. :)

Speaking of the ultimate source, Wikileaks has a small article on this technique for use against other insects.