Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

STUNNING UPDATE: Mother of Jazmine Barnes Lied to Police – Knew the Killers were Black Men, Killer W

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by flgator2, Jan 7, 2019.

1. philobeddoe

philobeddoe Premium Member

Apr 11, 2007
    Quite a bit of "tainted" reporting ….. and erroneous "overreaction" to that tainted reporting. What's truly sad is ……. in the biased, misreporting of and on the crime …… the epidemic of "black-on-black" crime is not mentioned. Why is there no discussion of that reality …. now that someone has been charged in the shooting?

At Rally for Jazmine Barnes, an Outpouring of Grief and a Plea for Answers

'We're missing a piece to our puzzle': Jazmine Barnes' mother urges killer to turn himself in

2. WESGATORS

WESGATORS Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Again, though. Is this Merritt's interpretation trying to make this a bigger deal than it is? Or is this allegation related to a direct quote? Tracking this stuff down shouldn't have to be this difficult. That's part of the problem. That's where it would be helpful to have greater accountability.

Go GATORS!
    ,WESGATORS

• Winner Winner x 1
  3. philobeddoe

Apr 11, 2007
    Seems it originated with the witnesses to the crime … and then was picked up by others:

At Rally for Jazmine Barnes, an Outpouring of Grief and a Plea for Answers

From the link:

“We’re going to find him no matter what corner we have to turn,” said LaPorsha Washington, Jazmine’s mother, who was driving at the time of the attack. “We’re going to find you.”

Ms. Washington told The Houston Chronicle that she believed the attack was racially motivated, and the case has drawn attention from civil rights activists across the country.

and

Lee Merritt, a Philadelphia-based lawyer representing Jazmine’s family, said on Saturday he believed the shooting had the markings of a hate crime, in part because of the “randomness and unprovoked nature” of the attack.

United States Representative Sheila Jackson Lee, a Democrat whose district includes parts of Houston, said the racial dynamics of the case were apparent. “Do not be afraid to call this what it seems to be: a hate crime,” she told the crowd, demanding an investigation by the Justice Department.

4. philobeddoe

Apr 11, 2007
    And I wonder if the reward was paid when the person arrested was African-American:

Shaun King Retweeted Shaun King

Our reward to find the killer of 7 year old Jazmine Barnes is now $75,000.

We will not stop until we find this man and bring him to justice.

If you know ANYTHING, anything at all, email me directly @ shaunking@gmail.com or contact @HCSOTexas & @SheriffEd_HCSO

• Winner Winner x 1
  5. wgbgator

wgbgator Extremely Online Premium Member

Why would your (or anyone's) assumption be that someone retained by the family would be "trying to make this a bigger deal" by misrepresenting the family's thoughts on the matter and applying their own interpretation? And why should looking into that come at the expense of other more relevant reporting?

6. WESGATORS

WESGATORS Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    That's kind of the point. Whatever definitive interpretation you may have is based off of an assumption. We shouldn't have to assume or wonder. As for why anybody would assume what you are referencing is because we've seen attorneys do such a thing, remember, they're paid to win or get results, they're not paid to be factually honest. This incident gets greater publicity by making it race-related than it does by race not being a factor. It's interesting, to me, that some of you don't see a problem with this way of reporting.

Go GATORS!
    ,WESGATORS

7. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Aug 26, 2008

The whole thing about it being obvious as to who was in the car kind of undermines the shooter's claim that they thought it was someone they had been fighting with earlier. I wonder if we will ever know the real motive behind the shooting

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Aug 26, 2008
    So I grew up for most of my pre-teen years in a neighborhood where I was very much the minority and subject to not so nice treatment from African americans. Should I judge every black person by the way I was treated when I was in the minority?

9. wgbgator

Seeing as how you speak of this is in the past tense, its seems like you aren't receiving this sort of treatment anymore and haven't for a long time. But its probably also impossible to say that your past experience doesn't color in the slightest the judgments you make in the present. I have friends who lived the same, and they held on to some racial grudges because of it, but for the most part the experience of life and certainly the relative ease of going places as they got older where they were the majority and didn't experience those things made it much easier to get over the worst of it. On the flip side, guys like Kanye West or OJ Simpson became rich and powerful, and live around white people who respected them which allowed them to entertain the idea that racism was maybe just in other people's heads and not a real thing people experience because they don't encounter it individually much anymore. But lets be real here, the OJs and Kanyes and white people (or even just non-black) in predominantly black areas experience isn't a typical one.

• Winner Winner x 1
  10. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Aug 26, 2008
    SO a yes or no isn't a viable response from you on my question? Should people judge others by the color of their skin or their ethnicity? Yes or no? It seems that you are trying to justify that type of behavior.

I don't move in the circles of people who would hold racist views of me any more but on occasion I do find myself in situations where I am being judged by my race / ethnicity. Racism/tribalism exists and it knows no bounds. that much I am sure of. there are groups of every race / ethnic persuasion who dislike others of different races / ethnic persuasions. this isn't just a white people problem. Anyone who thinks otherwise are only fooling themselves. I judge people by how they act and not by what they look like independent of my past experiences. Why shouldn't we expect everyone to act that way and quit making excuses for those that don't?

11. madgator

madgator GC Hall of Fame

May 28, 2007
    South Florida
    Anyone remember that scene in Goodfellas where the truckdriver hands his shipment over to the mobsters outside the diner and then goes in and immediately reports that "two N.g..rs just stole my truck."

Yes, those kinds of things happen and yes it is horribly wrong.

Why can't some of you people admit that what this woman did is equally wrong? Really not that difficult to condemn a wrong. For the life of me I can't understand why some of you have a hard time condemning an obvious wrong.....

• Winner Winner x 1
  12. tegator80

tegator80 GC Hall of Fame

May 29, 2007
    Richmond, VA
    Sorry I did not see your reply. Sounds silly but, except for my post about some people taking some words from the mother and running WAY out there with them, it is plausible.

Probably odd to those of us who have not experienced anything like it.

• Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  13. LoyalGatorFan

LoyalGatorFan GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Because they just can’t fathom a white man might actually be innocent...it’s really simultaneously sad and hilarious

14. wgbgator

Sorry but knowing who did it and then making up a lie about it is different than being the victim of random violence, not knowing the perpetrator and speculating about the motive in the absence of any explanation. One is an obvious falsehood and the other is a very human response to try to make sense of the incomprehensible.

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  15. madgator

madgator GC Hall of Fame

May 28, 2007
    South Florida

The depths you all are going to excuse this is really sad.

16. madgator

madgator GC Hall of Fame

May 28, 2007
    South Florida

Sorry that is complete BS. Even if she didn't know what happened.....ADMIT THAT! Why make up a lie with racist motivations?

17. tegator80

tegator80 GC Hall of Fame

May 29, 2007
    Richmond, VA
    I am not sure what you are alluding. Did I let her off the hook? I merely mentioned it is plausible.

18. madgator

madgator GC Hall of Fame

May 28, 2007
    South Florida

Makes me wonder about how happy they'd be if it actually was a white man

19. madgator

madgator GC Hall of Fame

May 28, 2007
    South Florida

There's reasonable and then there's nonsense and obfuscation

20. LoyalGatorFan

LoyalGatorFan GC Hall of Fame