Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

STUNNING UPDATE: Mother of Jazmine Barnes Lied to Police – Knew the Killers were Black Men, Killer W

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by flgator2, Jan 7, 2019.

1. WESGATORS

WESGATORS Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I think the point is that CNN either made up or embellished the idea that the mother believed race played a role or the mother really did believe race played a role. Either of these ideas deserves follow-up. If CNN screwed up, they should have to account for that. I don't expect the mother to indicate so if she previously jumped to a conclusion due to racial prejudice she could harbor, but in a perfect world, these things get owned up to (again, IF that's what she said/how she felt). People try to force-feed racial issues upon us even when the don't exist; it's important to try to sort the BS from the actual issues.

Go GATORS!
    ,WESGATORS

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. WESGATORS

Apr 3, 2007
    Yeah, oftentimes, indeed. The problem is, we have a society filled with people not interested in learning the nuances of when or how or even if skin color is a factor in a person's behavior. People take an idea and run with it even if there is no logical grounds to do so. This is counter-productive in terms of reducing racial tensions and racial prejudices. There should be an accountability standard on the part of the media when dealing with the mention of race.

Go GATORS!
    ,WESGATORS

3. wgbgator

wgbgator Very Stable Genius Premium Member

Apr 19, 2007
    Geo-hell
    I'll never understand why its not logical to think you or someone else might be the victim of racism in a country with a long history of racism and racial violence, especially if you are a racial minority who often faces racism on a daily basis. It only becomes illogical or irrational if you continue to believe it after proven otherwise.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  4. WESGATORS

Apr 3, 2007
    So what you are saying is anybody who has been a victim of an unfair circumstance is granted a free pass to prejudge? Can't we simply say the desire is understandable, but that doesn't make it right? Have you considered that ALL racists have an excuse to be racist? Some have been more violently oppressed; others have been manipulated by having been surrounded by people with bias. Everybody has an excuse for irrational behavior. Just accept it? What I'm suggesting is force people to be accountable, that's how you make changes.

Go GATORS!
    ,WESGATORS

• Winner Winner x 1
  5. wgbgator

Apr 19, 2007
    Geo-hell
    I'm wondering why you think that everyone should operate as if every individual they may encounter has the best of intentions until proven otherwise? Most people "prejudge" people in their daily lives in ways that range from banal to hostile. The problem to me is allowing those prejudgments to become institutionalized, and on an individual basis, for people to use those prejudgments to cloud their thinking even when the other person is demonstrably operating in good faith. Drawing on experience and keeping an open mind can both be rational and compatible. We've all had friends we didn't like at first for whatever reason (based on prejudgments or impressions), and the reason they are friends is we allowed our minds to remain open.

6. WESGATORS

Apr 3, 2007
    I don't think either extreme is logical (from a standpoint of prejudging). But you do highlight the extreme points. One is to believe that a person is out to get you, and the other is to believe that they "have the best of intentions." Maybe there's a middle ground of, "ok, I don't have to trust this person, but I'm not going to assume he's out to get me."

Agree. The bold part is where my concern is as it pertains to the media's responsibility here.

Go GATORS!
    ,WESGATORS

7. kygator

kygator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Prior to finding out that the killer was actually black, the mother did publicly state that she believed race played a role. I do agree that the media and other segments of society try to force feed racial issues to the public. Her lawyer only took the case because he thought it was a white guy.

Merritt, who is working with Jazmine’s family, said they think the shooting was racially motivated.

“That’s why I was brought on,” he said in a phone interview with The Washington Post on Wednesday. “We want to emphasize the racial nature of the attack and that hate-crime charges are appropriate.”

Even if the killer happened to be white, it wouldn't automatically mean it was a hate crime.

If you think the CNN was trying to force this as a racial issue, there was much worse out there. For example:

Was Jazmine Barnes a victim of domestic terrorism? Will white America own it?

• Informative Informative x 1
  8. wgbgator

Apr 19, 2007
    Geo-hell
    I don't think you can make blanket judgments about what is extreme though, people are going to be molded by their experience. Its definitely more logical for a black person who's been a daily victim of racism from white people to say something that happens is the product of racism from white people than a white person who has one bad run in with a black person and then thinks anti-white racism is widespread. In the case of the black person, you might be asking too much to say 'operate in the middle ground' based on their daily experience. I understand why certain people may make prejudgments, especially in the absence of other more immediate explanations, the only thing I ask is that they keep at least some far recess of their mind open.

9. wgbgator

Apr 19, 2007
    Geo-hell
    In this case though the parent of the victim was sharing their thoughts on the crime and they thought it might be racially motivated. So how should 'the media' handle that responsibly? Or maybe a better question is, what are some examples of irresponsibility here?

10. WarDamnGator

WarDamnGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Salon is just as bad as Gateway Pundit. I still don't see where the mom lied to police and said it was a white guy.

11. WESGATORS

Apr 3, 2007
    As I mentioned above, there's an appropriate distinction between understanding why a person thinks the way they do and indicating that such a thought process is logical, productive, or even acceptable. We can understand why a person may have a corrupted sense of judgment, but that doesn't make their judgment reasonable.

Go GATORS!
    ,WESGATORS

12. wgbgator

Apr 19, 2007
    Geo-hell
    Salon doesn't pretend to "break news" though. They just post lots of liberal to left wing opinion pieces. The article posted in the OP wasn't just like "here's my opinionated take" or "just asking questions" its presented like factual news basically.

13. kygator

kygator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    I never claimed that the mom lied. She thought it was a white guy because that is who her daughter saw. The mom did think that it was racially motivated because it was an unprovoked attack by what was believed to be a white guy.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. WESGATORS

Apr 3, 2007
    I'd start with the actual source of "thought it might be racially motivated." Was this literally expressed, implied (appropriately inferred), or rather was it inappropriately inferred? If it was inappropriately inferred, who's inference are we using, the sheriff's or CNN's or somebody else's? Media should objectively report in a way that leaves allows the reader to infer rather than having to take the media's interpretation of an event (or the media improperly presenting the interpretation of an event).

Just report the facts, don't manipulate the facts, and it's not on the media...it's that simple. But expressing that she believes it was racially motivated warrants some follow-up and clarity.

Go GATORS!
    ,WESGATORS

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. wgbgator

Apr 19, 2007
    Geo-hell
    If the victim claims the crime was racially motivated, there isn't really any way around not reporting that. If you don't, that's its own form of irresponsibility. And from a responsibility standpoint, its not the hard news media's job to aggressively prove or disprove one person's controversial claim at the expense of reporting the rest story and thereby downplaying other important information from people at the scene. I don't see much evidence that 'hard news' sources acted irresponsibly. I see more pundit/opinion driven media delving into the racial implications and doing lots of speculating or entertaining unverified claims. But in that case, all you can do is ask that people not allow their minds to be completely colored by opinion driven speculation.

16. WESGATORS

Apr 3, 2007
    So did she? What was the exact quote? Anything from the police report?

Go GATORS!
    ,WESGATORS

17. WarDamnGator

WarDamnGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    True. You didn't say that. I was talking about the title of this thread, that still says the mom "lied to police" ... if the mom believed it was a white guy based on other witness's statements, then that is certainly reasonable. It seems like the mom gave police an honest description of what she saw ... then assumed the other witnesses accounts were correct when giving interviews to the media.

18. rivergator

rivergator Too Hot Mod Moderator VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Just to be clear, is your entire problem with CNN that one line in a dozen or more stories it wrote about the case?

19. wgbgator

Apr 19, 2007
    Geo-hell
    From my Vox link from the first page:

20. WESGATORS

Apr 3, 2007
    No, the problem is that it is not clear where the claim of a white shooter is originating. This leads to people jumping to conclusions and fueling the fire of sensationalist thinking.

- IF CNN is embellishing or otherwise jumping to conclusions about what was expressed, then they owe it to the readers to make a correction and an apology for fueling racial tensions
    - IF CNN is reporting an accurate claim on the part of the mother, they should articulate that a little better and they should follow-up indicating that the mother was mistaken; preferably it would be helpful if the mother made a statement addressing the prejudiced claim

I think it's useful to track down the source of prejudiced claims and to address them head on. Not doing so once the issue is brought up is irresponsible and only serves to increase racial tension (see Gateway Pundit, Salon, Root, etc.). There is no upside to not addressing the prejudiced claims.

Go GATORS!
    ,WESGATORS