Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Students support diversity quotas… until it comes to football

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by CaliGator, Oct 17, 2021.

1. ridgetop

ridgetop GC Hall of Fame

Aug 4, 2020
    Top of the ridge
    Maybe. But when we, the adults set them up for ultimate failure, when we encourage and promote a path that will ultimately lead to a dead end for most of them then we too are to blame. We can no longer complain about an ignorant nation, a dumb society. We create this for our own entertainment… consequences be damned.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  2. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    The university serves a much broader purpose than the football team. That's an invalid "gotcha."

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    It's more than the abrupt reaction; they are attempting a false equivalence.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    Welcome to competition - ain't it the breaks? ;)

5. njg8tor21

njg8tor21 Freshman

Oct 12, 2021
    It's not a popular point of view, but I think every scholarship NCAA player should have entry scores that are characteristic of the university as a whole.

6. WESGATORS

WESGATORS Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I would buy that if they did the same for gender-discrimination. At the academic level it's "best of the best" no quotas, and at the sports level there is an implementation of quotas. Would your suggestion be that the gender-discrimination model is backwards?

Go GATORS!
    ,WESGATORS

7. uftaipan

uftaipan GC Hall of Fame

May 31, 2007
    Kuwait
    I could have done with a little less of the fraternity man with the sailor hat and with a little more of the sorority woman in the orange shirt.

8. carpeveritas

carpeveritas GC Hall of Fame

Dec 31, 2016
    Are you advocating we remove sports from educational institutions into the private sector and open more room for diversity in academic opportunities. Face it everyone of those athletes takes up a seat that could be a potential for academic excellence.

9. rivergator

rivergator Too Hot Mod Moderator VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    I can certainly respect that opinion. I don't know the system that's evolved is ideal, but I suppose it's better than it was 40 years ago when I think there were almost no minimal standards.

But that would obviously change the landscape of college sports completely. What happens to interest and support for UF teams when they can't compete with FAMU or UNF?

10. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
  11. wgbgator

wgbgator Premium Member

Apr 19, 2007
    A Van Down By the River
    Without athletics and especially football, every public university would be whiter, so what the hell are they talking about? Football is a diversity program.

• Funny Funny x 1
  12. archigator_96

archigator_96 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2020
    I have no issues with how certain athletes are given scholarships. I would hope that high school athletes see sports as a way out (football, basketball etc.). But, after that is where it gets tricky. Someone (the university and the head coach) should tell these young men and women that while the academic scholarship will get you out of your current situation, its not a path to the pros for everyone. Take advantage of the skills that got you the scholarship to improve yourself. If pro sports is in your future then great, if not, be the best student you can.

13. ridgetop

ridgetop GC Hall of Fame

Aug 4, 2020
    Top of the ridge
    The problem I have with this is that by the time a student athlete gets to college it is too late to be the best student hey can be. The foundation is often not there. The study skills, basic knowledge, logical deduction, etc… have not been learned and strengthened in high school and the student will fail miserably in college.
    This is something that has to be taught at a young age. The same time parents are pushing sports as a way out they need to be pushing education.
    If colleges held athletes knew to the same standard as other students high school students would HAVE to learn to be good students.

14. Gator515151

Gator515151 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 4, 2007
    I always loved the argument that a certain percentage of basketball coaches should be African Americans because a certain percentage of the players are. My thoughts have always been, why don't we count the number of fans in the stands of each race and make the number of players proportional then make the number of coaches match and see where we are.

• Funny Funny x 1