Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Strengths and Weaknesses

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by doctorg8r, Aug 17, 2022.

1. grant1

grant1 GC Hall of Fame

Nov 10, 2009
    read that he's expecting 1 penalty per 30 plays, that would be a huge benefit and lead to a win or 2 by itself

he was when he came here

• Agree Agree x 4
  2. manigordo

manigordo GC Hall of Fame

I worry that the fan focus on his physical skills has expectations higher than his mental development as a QB. Correct quick reads and decision making will be the key to offensive success this year.
    I agree with murphree. I am really excited and while I think the D is sound, I otherwise don't have a clue.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. always_and_forever_uf

always_and_forever_uf Junior

Jun 20, 2022
    Have no fear. This man is no nonsense and doesn't put up with clowns. There will be no fools on this team.

• Like Like x 2
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  4. malscott

malscott Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    West Hills, Ca
    Strengths
    1. New leadership-better coaching across the board.
    2. complete reboot-new system-new attitude
    3. seasoned O-line-w/ some depth
    4. great running game
    5. Richardson has the job-Miller is a decent back up and answering the call.
    Weaknesses
    1. Defensive line depth
    2. Kicker consistency
    3. Will we have a kick off and punt returner? (Unknown)
    4. Tight end numbers
    5. Breakout receivers
    6. Coverage teams-much needed development (unknown)
    With all due respect, I think we have capable receivers. Just not a ton of them. Pearsall, Whittemore, Shorter, plus some decent TE's. Seems like a respectable gaggle.
    Concerns: kick blockers, returners, kickers, time management (will these guys do better?)

Go Gators.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. slayerxing

slayerxing GC Hall of Fame

Aug 14, 2007
    Ja'Markis Weston was rumored to run a 4-4 or 4-3 40 a couple of years ago. That's probably the fastest WR on the team. The rest are 4-5 or higher guys, that are more about size.

• Informative Informative x 2
  6. sir percival harvin

sir percival harvin Junior

Oct 14, 2017
    I thought Henderson was more of a burner as well.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. slayerxing

slayerxing GC Hall of Fame

Aug 14, 2007
    so I can’t independently confirm but what I’ve heard in the various podcasts that cover gator sports is that he is slower in pads than his 40 time would suggest. But his fastest reported 40 time I could find was 4.55. But at 6-3 that’s not too shabby. It’s not like he’s slow but not a traditional “burner” either.

• Informative Informative x 2
  8. HotlantaGator

HotlantaGator GC Hall of Fame

Aug 15, 2007
    This team has a lot of question marks and is a bit of a mystery to me, but here goes:

STRENGTHS:

1. Running game should be dependable if not dominant
    2. Penalties should be way down, CBN has made this too much of a priority for it not to be improved
    3. CB play - should be decent in coverage, but if we can't stop the run and/or get pressure on QB it may not matter much
    4. OL in general seems like on of our stronger positions, I know it feels strange to say that.

WEAKNESSES

1. Passing game/ability to stretch the defense
    2. Run defense: I hope w/ the new D coaches and Ventrell healthy we'll be better here, but can't call it a strength yet
    3. ANTICIPATION AND CONSISTENCY FROM QB - AR has the physical tools in abundance, we will see if he can read defenses and consistently throw on time

• Like Like x 1
    • Off-topic Off-topic x 1
  9. doctorg8r

doctorg8r Senior

Dec 11, 2018
    Two things concern me: Mel Kiper Jr's estimate of AR and AR's lack of gametime experience. Utah is a tough one to cut his teeth on and UK won't be a cakewalk. If the Gators make these two contests competitive the Gators will have to be mentally in the game!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Tito22

Tito22 GC Hall of Fame

May 13, 2007
    Strengths:

AR
    OL might surprise
    Marshall-Kimber CB duo could be pretty damn good (assuming they are the starters)

Weaknesses:

RB room is not up to snuff (maybe the OL helps us out here though)

• Like Like x 1
  11. ETGator

ETGator Long-Time Gator Stuck In East Tennessee Moderator VIP Member

Sep 15, 2007
    I'm going general in my answers:

TEAM WEAKNESS: Depth
    TEAM STRENGTH: Coaching

We have a LOT of very talented players on this team. Under-used (or not at all) and misused by the former coaches.

I think our WRs are going to surprise many.

I said coaching for our strength because from what I've heard they are doing so many small things behind-the-scenes that should add-up to huge differences in how the team plays and carries themselves. I want the Gator swagger back!

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. always_and_forever_uf

always_and_forever_uf Junior

Jun 20, 2022
    Spot on. Well done.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  13. sleeze

sleeze GC Hall of Fame

Jul 24, 2007
    South GA
    Strength...1st Team Defense and Offense.....our starters can play with anyone in the country.

Weakness...Depth...if we get injured or have to rely on depth in the 2nd half of games..then we are in trouble.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. MCB51

MCB51 GC Hall of Fame

Nov 23, 2015
    FL
    If he wants everyone to wear a certain color sock..I doubt he will allow crap that we saw last year

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. northgagator

northgagator GC Hall of Fame

No offense to your comments. I really do like you. But in this moment, you come across like a sunshine pumper. I hope that you are correct in your predictions. As for my take, I see some some pains that will be encountered on the learning curve. This Gator team under Napier has played a snap in a real game. I do see some mishaps on the field. However, I do expect to see some improvement and corrections as the season goes on. This year is a rebuilding year.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
  16. lizardbreath

lizardbreath All American

Aug 30, 2017
    Well said. Personally, I believe the recent reports of our impending demise have been greatly exaggerated. 9-3 is absolutely possible and 10-2 isn't unattainable. JMHO.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  17. malscott

malscott Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    West Hills, Ca
    Yeah. I'm always pumping sunshine, I know. That's my game. Optimism rules. Pessimism just feels kind of negative. This isn't a time for fundamentally sound logic. That was in the winter - the season is too close now. Fandom overcomes logic at this juncture.

If I translated my sunshine into a win prognostication; I'm hoping for 8 or 9 wins. If we can improve on last year - realistically, even that'd be great. but, I want more for the kids.

I've never felt better going into a season. And I don't mean because we're the best and destined to win. But because we are laying the foundation that will eventually earn us wins. Doing things right just feels good.

I hope for a bonus win or two just because we are getting coached up and are learning to be accountable to each other...

Here's to these kids kicking ass this year!

Go Gators.;)

• Best Post Ever x 5
    • Like x 3
    • Winner x 2
    • Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Wish I would have said that x 1
  18. KronoGator

KronoGator GC Legend

Apr 10, 2007
    UF with multiple coaching staffs just doesn't take it seriously, even Meyer thought you could just find a walk on and throw him out there, true freshman who come in and dominate like McPherson are rare.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. tegator80

tegator80 GC Hall of Fame

May 29, 2007
    Richmond, VA
    These are the most succinct answers to the original question(s). First and foremost, we are NOT winning the NC this year (although with some magical twists and turns we can compete for a spot in the SECC game, but that is REALLY optimistic). Too many holes in the depth and we aren't playing an old kind of schedule (10 patsy-types, 1 or 2 resume games). Dings WILL happen and the chances they happen to, say the D-line when the next game is against a team who doesn't run the ball strong between the tackles, is too lucky for an entire season. And so we have to get Plan B and C to a pretty damn high level when Plan A is lacking. I don't think we have it right now.

So, as a more specific list, the strength is going to be the run game/clock management. Richardson may even look transcendent if/when he runs because the defense is playing the backs too much and then throw crazy darts when they put too many defensive players in the box against us. That to me is exactly how we are built and we should be able to play this way against pretty much any team. That is WHEN we are healthy.

Another strength I believe we will have is safety play. We FINALLY have some competent coaching/nurturing and enough players who have tried and fallen short back in the back and they are hungry. I think the WR core could fit this mold but I am less excited that THAT many players are going to have complete makeovers and can consistently make the tough catches against the "AAA-caliber" talent they are going to face.

The easy weakness is...depth on the front 7 on defense. Too much BAD recruiting from Mullen and Co. (and the past) to expect this group to turn into UGa 2021, 2.0. You just don't get that kind of production via coaching, you mainly get it through bunches of quality bodies and having enough of them "getting it" each season.

And to me, and I won't mind if I am wrong, the second biggest weakness is #2 and #3 QBs. I don't think any are prepared to be a Tua or Young to take over for the #1 option. Richardson's health will go a LONG ways to our success. Too bad we are going to have to break in another #1 next year if he has the great season. But that is another thread topic.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2022
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  20. FranceGator

FranceGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    I might disagree. A recent article said we might have the second best running back room in the conference. Particularly with a running QB

Many mentions about passing game concerns and WR, but not much about catching out of backfield. Wright was mentioned specifically. Anybody know if the Napier ULL offense did much of this? It's a nice early season way to get the OL, QB, and passing game on the same page.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1