Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Strength coach Cochran leaving Bamar for on field position at Ga

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by justinwitt07, Feb 24, 2020.

1. GatorSean

GatorSean GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    The guy has never been a position coach, much less a coordinator at any level of football before. If uga hired him as S&C coach, I'd say, wow, that's an elite hire.

But special teams coordinator? It's strange and not without risks.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  2. GatorKenW

GatorKenW GC Legend

Dec 29, 2009
    Gainesville, FL
    Let's just make sure Savage is locked up with a nice long term lucrative deal.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. your_perfect_enemy

your_perfect_enemy GC Hall of Fame

Apr 7, 2010
    "He wanted to get on to the field coaching and would like one day, I think, to be a head coach," Saban told ESPN. "We didn't really have anything here to offer him along those lines, and Georgia did. I understand him wanting to take on that path.

"As good as Scott was for us here as our head strength coach, it's probably best for him and best for us if he's able to do there at Georgia what he wants to do now with his career."

I thought this quote by Saban was somewhat telling, I don't think he really sees him as a position coach. He may be wrong but UGA is a big job to cut your teeth as a coordinator, be interesting to see how it works out. Tip one, don't obviously run your backup qb into the game as personal protector on a fake punt

• Funny Funny x 3
  4. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

But Kirby isn't hiring him for S&C, right? So it remains to be seen how much this helps UGa

5. coach

coach GC Hall of Fame

Dec 5, 2008
    Boca Raton
    Bigger loss for Bama than a gain for #1980. I imagine Saban targets Feld at Oregon who worked for Saban early in his S&C career.

6. beemerthegator

beemerthegator Senior

Dec 1, 2019
    Bama likely has assistants on the strength staff who are ready to step up, so my belief is this development is more important in terms of perceptions than anything else... ...BUT, perceptions are important. Especially since Bama has shown a few chinks in the armor over the last couple of years.

7. Sulla

Sulla Senior

Oct 28, 2012
    Oxford, MS
    That's really the sum total of this.

It was a regional (pun kinda intended) commercial for Regions, a bank based out of Birmingham, AL and, for the most part, only in the southeast. Cochran was a popular figure in Alabama, so it wasn't surprising to see him make that cameo, as Saban has been a spokesperson for them for awhile. It also aired for the first time at the start of the college football season, so it was produced before the 2019 season started.

Basically, I wouldn't read too much into it.

I think Saban is being honest. Cochran wants to be a coach, and it wasn't going to happen at Alabama. I'm sure his leaving will be somewhat disruptive to winter camp, but whether that was worth giving him a shot as a special teams coach remains to be seen.

Supposedly, he was pretty good with recruits as well when they came on campus visits, so perhaps Kirby sees him as an asset in recruiting if he is no longer restricted to campus visits only.

8. justinwitt07

justinwitt07 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 7, 2018
    Atlanta , GA
    Special teams coach from what report is saying

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  9. fox

fox GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Florida Beachland
    Probably a strategic move to weaken your opponent. Probably a side payment or incentive somewhere.

10. kryptonite

kryptonite GC Hall of Fame

Dec 12, 2008
    Apparently Cochran was paid on an extremely high pay scale that would not be justified as a position coach. This is a great lose-lose situation for Uga and Bama that should help us: take away a great asset from Bama to overpay for a position at Uga he does not know (but he has a great infectious attitude, that should count for hundreds of thousands of dollars of salary). I suggest that Kirby hires away Butch Jones to coach WR at head coach pay, Charlie Strong to coach OL at head coach pay, Michael Stoops to coach TE at head coach pay, and Major Applewhite to coach DL at head coach pay. Kirby will really show Saban who is boss.

• Funny Funny x 2
  11. finorman

finorman GC Legend

Jan 30, 2009
    Orlando
  12. DBCooper

DBCooper GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Hendersonville, NC
    This hire must bring more than S&C experience. My guess the only way he can outbid Saban for Cochran’s services is that his value is tied to recruiting. Kirby already outspends Saban and everyone else on recruiting. The results of war with Saban will be fun to watch. Hope it bites Kirby’s butt.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. justinwitt07

justinwitt07 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 7, 2018
    Atlanta , GA
    Doesn’t ga have Bama like game 3 next season?

14. bposs

bposs GC Hall of Fame

Sep 3, 2010
    Woodstock, GA
    Funny joke I heard on this:

bama fans haven’t been this upset about something since Walmart moved Sudafed behind the counter.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  15. I can hear Don Meredith singing "Turn out the lights, the parteeeeee's oooooooover!"

As much as satan will try to spin this, it is a fact that he could have reshuffled staff to get Cochran on the field IF HE WANTED TO.

This was a parting of the ways that was NOT nearly as amicable as will be advertised. Somehow Cochran overstepped. When that happens, the head guy always wins out.

16. gatrfanzz

gatrfanzz GC Legend

I still think Saban let it be known maybe in passing to his closest coaches that he plans on retiring soon. If he did then they are positioning themselves now. I don't know this as fact, but I get that feeling that this is the case.

• Like Like x 1
  17. apkgator

apkgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Everyone knows it hurts Bama, that is not questioned.
    But how it impacts UGA is much murkier. He isn't going into a role he has performed previously and that unknown has to be a concern to some degree. I'm sure there are a number of his successful traits that will translate to his new role....but is he better than a guy that truly knows special teams and has proven himself as a recruiter? Remains to be seen

18. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    I think he's teaching Cochran how to do basic coaching so that he can have him teach his offense or defense in the off season. You know how important a S&C coach is in the off season. And one that can teach an offense or a defense on top of their regular duties is even more valuable to Kirby.

19. GameTime1

GameTime1 GC Legend

Jul 27, 2015
    He wont be able to work with the players in the offseason though, correct?

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. ugahairydawgs

ugahairydawgs GC Legend

Apr 9, 2007
    Rules on that have laxed over the years. Players and coaches can meet now much more in the offseason, but the strength coach definitely can see them more.