Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

streaming advice?

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by flgator79, Oct 15, 2020.

1. flgator79

flgator79 GC Legend

Jul 28, 2007
    trying to find the best alternative to youtube where I can watch espn, sec network etc

What would you guys advise?? looking for reasonably priced option

2. sqgator

sqgator All American

Apr 3, 2007
    I am using Sling TV.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. GratefulGator

GratefulGator GC Hall of Fame

Oct 15, 2016
    Denver
    I cut the cord last year and signed up for Sling Orange + Sports Xtra Pack. This gives me access to all of the ESPNs (espn, espn2, espn3, espnu, espn news, etc.) The Sports Xtra Pack gives me access to SEC, SEC alternate, ACC network, PAC network, Longhorn network plus more.
    Sling Orange is about $33/m and the Sports Xtra Pack is $9/m.
    I am very happy with Sling.

• Like Like x 1
  4. GATOR_4Life

GATOR_4Life GC Legend

Aug 16, 2010
    Marietta, Ga
    If you happen to use XFINITY internet (not TV), I've managed to get the spanish broadcast thru the ESPN app (Iphone & Roku) every week of the season. I have not confirmed whether I'm just lucky or if this is repeatable by different people. But I mute the TV broadcast and attempt to sync up with the local radio broadcast. Effectively $0 cost.

Of the traditional streaming services. Sling is cheapest, but limited options. If you use Disney+ Hulu w/ Live TV is a compelling price point as part of the bundle. YoutubeTV is the best, and the most expensive.

5. garettk

garettk GC Hall of Fame

Oct 3, 2008
    HULU Live. Not sure it is the best deal but when I went with it Sling didn't have an agreement with CBS (which I believe they now do). With limited commercials (some channels you still have to watch them) I'm at about $61 after tax.
    On a side note, downloaded Discovery App the other night. A lot of free content.

6. archigator_96

archigator_96 All American

Apr 8, 2020
    Somebody on the forum here (maybe the Pub) was talking about it and said that YouTube streams at a higher frame rate which makes for better sports viewing if you have a 4K or 8K TV.

7. DieAGator

DieAGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Why an alternative to youtube needed, product limitations and/or price for service?

8. DieAGator

Apr 3, 2007
    Looks like a good choice for sports but they have the other pack(blue) that doesn't include sports but has other channels- news and entertainment says Sling.

I would be interested to know what the most complete packages are, sports, entertainment, news, movies, at the best price if anyone has an opinion. But it looks like one has to pay a premium price or live without certain categories or key channels within a category.

9. ETGator1

ETGator1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    The jump from $49.99 to $64.99 by YouTube TV was a kick in the stomach. I thought about a change before coming to the realization that YouTube TV is the still the best on the market for streaming since PlayStation Vue went defunct after the first of the year.

I'm presuming you are already streaming and have enough internet speed to run all of your devices, computers, tvs, alexas, sling door bell and cameras, printer, etc. I have Cox 150 and have zero problems with buffering. You can probably get by with 50 mbps if you aren't loaded up with devices. You might be looking at a combination of options:

1. Hulu + Live TV is $54.99, but you only can stream on 2 devices at the same time. YouTube TV offers 3 streams. YouTube also has an unlimited DVR while Hulu + Live TV caps you at 50 hours. Hulu + Live TV does give you access to the Hulu vault of television shows. YouTube TV can't touch that. If the differences aren't material, you can save $10 per month.

2. Philo TV is $20.00 per month, no news or sports. You get an excellent group of channels with an unlimited DVR that you can combine with the Sling Orange Package (Heavy On Sports), $20 + $30 = $50. However, you won't have local channels which you might be able to replace with an inhouse antenna plus news channels will be missing.

3. If you want to save some serious money, try a combination of Philo TV plus the free IPTV service USA TV & Radio. USA TV & Radio has to be downloaded to the streaming device you are using, Google/Amazon Fire TV. Go on YouTube and look up tutorials on how to use Downloader and File Finder in regards to USA TV & Radio.

USA TV & Radio has 665 free US channels. It's all live tv and also has an epg, electronic program guide. You can pause for a few seconds, but not long as it will jump to where the live tv has moved forward to. You have multiple links to try to use the channels, not all work and a few require a vpn. All of the sports channels you want are there. Some channels for ABC, CBS, Fox, and NBC are there too, but you get the feed of what they are showing so use an antenna for locals you deem essential.

For $20 per month plus internet, this combined option will likely give you everything you are looking for at a cheap price compared to cable, satellite YouTube TV, Hulu + Live TV, and Sling which alone $45 to get the Orange & Blue.

Me? As I stated above, I've stayed with YouTube TV, but I also have Disney + that I share with family, Netflix and Apple TV with Starz that they share with me, and FRNDLY TV which is inexpensive and allows flexibility with the Hallmark Channels plus has look back viewing for 3 days, look forward programming for 10 days, on demand, and a terrific DVR which allows you to fast forward through commercials.

Why stay with YouTube you ask? Because my wife loves to stream Food and HGTV shows. She can watch show after show after show with minimal advertisements. She says to keep YouTube TV. My price is still far below what I would be paying for cable or satellite plus the flexibility of streaming can't be beaten. Happy wife = happy life.

Good luck with whatever you decide. The only person who can decide what is right is you. You have to decide what is important to you and what, if any, tradeoffs you are willing to take to save money on your television viewing.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  10. iam4uf

iam4uf GC Hall of Fame

Apr 12, 2007
    Gainesville
    Sling is the least expensive. I like their interface. However they are on about a 19 second delay. It's not a huge problem but I'm usually talking on the phone with a buddy of mine who lives in Tampa while we watch the game. He's pretty good about not tipping me off too much, LOL.

• Like Like x 1
  11. willymayshayes

willymayshayes GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Cannot emphasize this enough. All of YouTube TV is 60 fps. Many of the cheaper alternatives have some channels that are only 30 FPS. You will definitely recognize the difference in fast action/sports scenes, and you do not need a 4K/8k TV to notice it.

• Like Like x 1
  12. GratefulGator

Oct 15, 2016
    Denver
    You can sign up for Sling Orange+Blue and the Sports Xtra Package for under $50. This gives you sports, entertainment, news, etc.

13. GratefulGator

Oct 15, 2016
    Denver
    Sling now broadcasts in 60fps

14. DieAGator

Apr 3, 2007
    Solid.

15. iam4uf

iam4uf GC Hall of Fame

Apr 12, 2007
    Gainesville
    upload_2020-10-15_19-37-28.png

16. iam4uf

iam4uf GC Hall of Fame

Apr 12, 2007
    Gainesville
    fyi if you have an American Express card you may be able to get FuboTV for the same price as Sling Orange + Sports through the end of the year. upload_2020-10-15_19-42-0.png

17. myltwon

myltwon Sophomore

Nov 26, 2013
    Fubo or hulu

18. freedomgator

freedomgator GC Legend

Mar 26, 2017
    Youtube last season, got Hulu this season due to pricing. Works well.

19. rmonteag

rmonteag GC Legend

Jul 24, 2010
    Hulu+Live has worked well for me. No issues.

20. bernie_lomax

bernie_lomax Senior

Jan 26, 2016
    Good info. I use Hulu live but have to watch commercials even if it’s recorded. So if I’m watching a game and rewind to rewatch a play I can’t catch back up during commercials. I have to miss part of the game (preferably McElroy talking) or stay behind and then I get texts like “wow what a catch!” Or “omg I can’t watch our defense” that spoil what’s about to happen.

Does YouTube tv make you watch commercials if you’re behind or if the show is recorded?