Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Stranger handshakes and Jesus vs Fauci

Discussion in 'GatorNana's Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by citygator, Nov 2, 2020.

1. citygator

citygator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Charlotte
    Went hiking in Tenn this weekend near Cade’s Cove. The first part of the trail was busy where I came upon a group of about 20 clearly out for a short fellowship activity. As I passed safely on the right, out of this pack popped a 40 year old energetic tanned guy with a giant smile on his face and a faith quote on his shirt:

“Amazing isn’t it” he said with enthusiasm.

“Yea, nice day for it” , I replied

“They don’t call them the Mediocre Smokey Mountains” he said, laughing and continued “God, sure is an artist”

“Praise Jesus” I said lightheartedly but not mocking... and then it happened...

“Scott Godman” saying his own name (I changed) he threw out his hand pinky to thumb oriented from ground to sky, fingers spread apart in the universal handshake position... as if to ask me who I trusted.. Jesus or Fauci, Faith or Science...

What would you do? What’s the handshake norms now with strangers? It’s the second stranger handshake offer I’ve received recently.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  2. PerSeGator

PerSeGator GC Hall of Fame

Jun 14, 2014
    If someone holds out their hand in handshake position I respond with first bump position. They usually get the hint and bump me. Not had any issues with that approach.

• Agree Agree x 5
  3. WarDamnGator

WarDamnGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    I know, it's awkward... I'm have to meet a few "new people" a week as part of my job, and I usually do shake their hand if they offer, and then make sure I don't touch anything before I can sanitize. I try not to get close enough to people that they would offer, like I stand far enough back to make them comfortable if they are observing social distancing ... but some people just come straight at you with their hand extended.

Maybe offer a fist bump or something if it's just random stranger. I feel obligated in a business setting.

4. kygator

kygator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    I usually lean in for a kiss. If they back off I tell them to quit living in fear.

• Funny Funny x 11
  5. BLING

BLING GC Hall of Fame

Apr 16, 2007
    I would have calmly and slowly backed away. No sudden movements.

• Funny Funny x 4
  6. 108

108 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    NYC
    Grab them by the P

• Funny Funny x 7
  7. ncargat1

ncargat1 VIP Member

Dec 11, 2009
    Basically do the same the same thing I have done for years when it comes to strangers and zealots. Cross my arms and stare at their hand and say that my religion does not allow for me to touch the unclean. Then walk away.

• Funny Funny x 4
  8. AndyGator

AndyGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 10, 2007
    That was a good one :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Spurffelbow833

Spurffelbow833 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 9, 2009
    Did you ask him if he was circumcised?

10. BLING

BLING GC Hall of Fame

Apr 16, 2007
    I wasn’t worried about the handshake per se. If I came across a large group randomly sitting around a circle out in the woods, I would be more worried about them possibly being cannibals.

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. BLING

BLING GC Hall of Fame

Apr 16, 2007
    How do you know he was a kind Christian man?

Maybe he was, maybe he is a serial killer. If all you require to trust a person is a t-shirt slogan and a smile, you are making it too easy on them.

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  12. citygator

citygator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Charlotte
    @gator7_5 , It was a fine exchange and I’m more religious than most righties on here teaching Sunday school and being an elder for 6 years at a 500 person church. I just know that God also provided disinfectant and the knowledge to know how not to spread viruses.

I shook his hand, wished him a blessed day, quarantined my hand until out of sight and pulled out a Clorox wipe from the pack I carry. I put the used wipe in my disposable pocket in the pack “leave no trace”.

• Like Like x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1