Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Strange ruling by Missouri prosecutor

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by Gator515151, Oct 22, 2022.

1. Gator515151

Gator515151 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 4, 2007
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  2. VAg8r1

VAg8r1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Equally bizarre. I know it's almost 30 years old, under Texas law it's legal to use deadly force to protect property even if the property "owner" is a deadbeat behind in legally obligated loan payments.
    HOUSTON MAN NOT INDICTED IN THE SLAYING OF REPO MAN

Apparently the decision in Kansas City was based on variation of the Kyle Rittenhouse "rule" which allows the use of a deadly weapon in defense of another.
    Although I haven't researched the legislative history behind the statute I suspect that it was strongly supported by the NRA.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2022
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. citygator

citygator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Charlotte
    Very confusing story. Seems bad.

4. WarDamnGator

WarDamnGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Looks like two assholes fighting in a parking lot. If Zimmerman can kill that kid because he was losing the fight he started, then I guess her acting in defense of her friend is fine, too..

"I mean, she is yelling "stop, you are killing him" as the bigger guy seems to be trying to suffocate the smaller guy with a clear choke hold shown in the video ...maybe he should have listened... the big doofus would be still alive today if he had just followed the simple instructions of the lady with the gun ...

Also, should be noted the OP is (intentionally?) misleading, in that he was off duty, apparently out of uniform, and wasn't acting in any fireman duty by getting in a fight in the parking lot.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2022
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. rivergator

rivergator Too Hot Mod Moderator VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Stand Your Ground law

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. orangeblue_coop

orangeblue_coop GC Hall of Fame

Nov 19, 2016
    Sounds like the deceased ultimately caused his own death by injecting himself in a situation that had nothing to do with him. If he would’ve minded his business he’d still be alive. Very unfortunate.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. kygator

kygator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    I disagreed with most conservatives in the Zimmerman case and I’m going to disagree with you here. The guy who was killed was acting in self defense. The woman who shot him was with the armed aggressor. He had no obligation to let go of the guy just because she told him to.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. GatorNorth

GatorNorth Premium Member Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Atlanta
    how can it be stand your ground when the woman wasn’t involved in the fight, and in a public place not her home?

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
  9. kygator

kygator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    No, his death was caused by 2 armed aggressors. His standing up for the clerk doesn’t mean he caused his own death.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. orangeblue_coop

Nov 19, 2016
    Him choking someone for 10 minutes straight and not heeding the warning of an armed person that they were going to shoot them if they didn't let go caused his death. So yeah in a sense, he caused his own death. Still an unfortunate situation all around.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. WarDamnGator

Apr 8, 2007
    So you think the lady should have let him potentially choke the guy to death?

What I've learned from these situations is that the armed person usually wins the fight, and then has enough "defense" -- especially in red states that pander to the gun lobby with their laws -- to successfully argue their way out of conviction, or in this case, even a trial....

See the popcorn thrower in Florida, for another example ...

• Agree Agree x 4
  12. kygator

kygator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Pretty impressive that he was choked for 10 minutes straight and could still breathe.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. WarDamnGator

Apr 8, 2007
    What is the correct number of minutes that you'd allow someone to hold your wife, son, daughter, in a choke hold before you stopped them by any means necessary (even if your loved one wasn't entirely in the right, either)

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. kygator

kygator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Was he choked for 10 minutes straight or wasn’t he? If someone makes a bullshit claim I’m going to call them out on it.

“wasn’t entirely in the right”. Holy shit what a stupid comment.

15. orangeblue_coop

Nov 19, 2016
    What’s more impressive is that she didn’t kill him sooner, most people holding the gun would’ve.

16. WarDamnGator

Apr 8, 2007
    I don't know if it was 10 minutes or not, but he's clearly got a choke hold on the guy in the video I watched, which didn't show the whole thing. And why is that stupid comment? They said the fight started because one guy was rude to a cashier and the other guy "stood up for him/her". What a stupid reason to get into a wrestling match in a a parking lot over ... try to choke a guy out.

But answer the question, if you were in that situation, and it was someone you cared about in the choke hold, what is the right number of minutes for you stand by and give warns before you'd stop that person by any means necessary? Just give me the number.

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. orangeblue_coop

Nov 19, 2016
    Semantics. He was choking someone who he was clearly getting the better of for an extended period of time (is that better?), was warned numerous times, chose to not let go and was fatally shot. Very unfortunate situation, but this is the kind of stuff that occasionally happens when you live in a gun-obsessed country (thanks to the right) like America.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. kygator

kygator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    No, the fight was because:

“Taylor then threatened them both, went outside, and retrieved a gun with an extended magazine from his white SUV.”

Another nut with a gun got away with it. The guy who was murdered had a right to defend himself. The reason your question was stupid was because you posed a completely different scenario where my loved one maybe wasn’t completely in the right. In this scenario, the person she was defending was 100% in the wrong and was the armed aggressor.

• Winner Winner x 3
  19. demosthenes

demosthenes Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I’m in favor of prosecuting the fighter that threatened people with a gun and was ultimately “saved” from his own provocation.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. WarDamnGator

Apr 8, 2007
    Well, the original version of the story that isn't filtered through the right wing trash site in the OP says ...

"She said the firefighter spoke up in the woman's defense. That started an argument.

The argument grew into fistfight.

The witness said the man fighting with the firefighter came with a woman and that woman may have pulled the trigger of the gun. She said the firefighter was shot outside the store and then he came back into the store for help."

But again, I ask, how many minutes would wait if someone you loved was being held in a choke hold by an angry man in the parking before you stopped him by any means necessary? Just a number, please.

• Informative Informative x 1