Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Stokes WTH is going on?

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by Bowiegator, Mar 16, 2019.

1. Bowiegator

Bowiegator Junior

Apr 3, 2007
    please tell me he is hurt or something. He plays 18 min at KY and looked awesome. It worked so well Mike White then gives him like 2 min for rest of games and zero minutes today. He needs to be on floor with Hayes or Bassett for 20 min every game. I have gone back and watched those 18 min again against KY because we look the best we have ever been this year. I know he makes mistakes like 1 of them yesterday and gets pulled immediately.

Has anybody seen any comments this week regarding his health? It is the only thing that explains this correct?

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  2. Agator88

Agator88 All American

Oct 7, 2014
    Too slow for Auburn. Bassett was too slow at times, Stokes would stand no chance.

• Agree Agree x 10
  3. GboroGator

GboroGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    Not a good matchup with athletic teams. Too slow defensively is probably what MW would tell you.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. 407king

407king All American

Dec 8, 2018
    He would've gotten abused today. He would have to guard on the perimeter. This was a bad matchup for him. Same thing with LSU. His positives don't outweigh the negatives when playing against LSU.

UK is a better matchup, especially without Travis. Means they have,to play their backup bigs who aren't good or Washington at the 5. That's a better matchup than LSU or Auburn.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. HallGator

HallGator Senile Mod Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Outer Limits
    He's going to be a good one for us but he has a lot of work to do on defense which is a must on a MW team.

• Agree Agree x 5
  6. SeabudGator

SeabudGator GC Legend

Apr 23, 2014
    How many times does it have to be repeated that every time Stokes is on the floor if the other team has mobile players scoring is easy for them. Yes, he is a nice low post threat. And we have been in desperate need of that for years. But he is simply untenable as a player on the court now against certain teams.

• Winner Winner x 2
  7. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Ringwood, NJ
    Agreed on the above. This was a terrible matchup for him. Plus, you find that coaches tend to contract rather than extended their rotations as a tournament wears on. They value rhythm and consistency over depth and fresh legs. We essentially gave Okauru Stokes's minutes, but he struggled in the second half and was pulled.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. fox

fox GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Florida Beachland
    Maybe a bad matchup?

9. jhbyrd

jhbyrd GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    At least he will be fresh for the NCAAs. The strategy used today worked better than the strategy the last time we played them.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. g8rnc

g8rnc Senior

May 13, 2015
    Ballard has gone missing too. He was our best player the first few games of the year. Now he doesn’t see the floor at all.

• Funny Funny x 3
  11. BLING

BLING GC Hall of Fame

Apr 16, 2007
    Might just be matchups. Auburn is a very fast team that plays small ball with athletic/fast bigs.

Against LSU he got abused on both ends, so while you'd think his size would have been a positive, Naz Reid can do damage from the perimeter. Naz Reid grabbed a rebound right over Stokes where Stokes didn't even get off the floor. Pretty sure White yanked him quickly after that. While Stokes has gotten in better shape, he still cannot guard bigs that can take him outside the paint and he's still going to struggle against bigs that are fast off the floor. I think it's as simple as that.

12. GatorLurker

GatorLurker VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    If we had ever got into an offense/defense back and forth at the end of the game with a time out at the end of each possession Stokes would have been great on O and subbed out on D.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. GratefulGator

GratefulGator GC Legend

Oct 15, 2016
    Denver
    I noticed that Ballard got 0 mins yesterday.
    Doghouse or sick?

14. dmgator

dmgator Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I love Stokes inside game on offense but he looked like a bronze statue on defense in the 2 minutes he played last game. Mike White had to get him out because of the bad match up.

• Agree Agree x 3
  15. VTGator

VTGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 17, 2007
    Bad matchup and it is impossible to sit Hayes right now. He is playing the best basketball of his career.

Ballard did play very well for the first few games but showed quickly that was an anomaly. He was also turning the ball over and giving up fast break points, which this Florida team can not afford.

16. akaGatorhoops

akaGatorhoops VIP Member GC Columnist

Apr 10, 2007
    The Ballard situation is odd. Very surprised he got zero minutes over the span of 3 games/3 days.
    I’d have figured fresh legs would have dictated a few minutes.

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. BLING

BLING GC Hall of Fame

Apr 16, 2007
    Yep, Ballard has a very nice pull up jumper.

Unfortunately that is about all he brings right now. Too many TO"s and poor decisions. It's a shame because this team could definitely use another scorer and he could provide that. I'm surprised at how much we have cut the rotation. But I don't think fatigue will be much of an issue from here on out. So I'm ok with giving our best all the run they can handle.

18. BLING

BLING GC Hall of Fame

Apr 16, 2007
    Yeah, not surprising we are tightening the rotation. Somewhat surprising in a back to back to back that he got all dnp's. That almost suggests some type of doghouse situation.

19. diamondted13

diamondted13 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 1, 2008
    Doghouse and transfer candidate along with Okauru. Not what I want to see but he's got to be questioning his role/minutes for next year. Especially if we get a transfer big that would give KJ more minutes at the 3 next year along w/ Lewis.

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. tampajack1

tampajack1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I have it from a reliable that Stokes had an enormous dinner last night and is back up to 300 pounds.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1