Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Stokes just entered the transfer portal

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by ThunderGator, Jul 3, 2019.

1. GatorLurker

GatorLurker VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    What I really miss is five really hard fouls.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  2. Matherly87

Matherly87 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    Then you must be missing some Kenny McClary.
    upload_2019-7-7_1-13-9.jpeg

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. grant1

grant1 GC Hall of Fame

Nov 10, 2009
    Why? CMW would have him in foul trouble in 5 minutes.

4. RD_gator

RD_gator GC Hall of Fame

Jul 20, 2007
    From the pictures of Jitoboh, he looks like a beast.
    Payne & Gak are not too shabby either.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Gatorhead

Gatorhead GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Philadelphia
    Not sure what to say about Stokes. I know some here were very high on the young man.

My honest assessment was , "concern", watching him play when he did get minutes.

Like most here, I was encouraged about the weight loss and the potential however to be honest, when he did play I was disappointed with
    his elevation on shots and rebounds.

His game clearly wasn't "out-jumping" anyone.
    I think he may have been unfairly compared to his brother whom was just a beast.

Anyway, I hope he finds a new start and gets to pursue his dream.

• Winner Winner x 1
  6. murphree_hall

murphree_hall Freshman

Jul 11, 2019
    Good luck to the young man. I wish him success, however, I was not impressed with what I saw from him. Lack of fitness and discipline were troubling. Even when healthy, he had very little athleticism. Slow up and down the court and I'm being generous if I say he has a 15 inch vertical leap. I'm always leery of unathletic big men who play below the rim. Perhaps I am being harsh, but I had very little excitement about anything he did on the court, or his upside. He'd need to completely change his lifestyle to become a factor in Division 1 basketball, IMO.

7. GatorPlanet

GatorPlanet GC Hall of Fame

Apr 15, 2007
    Maitland, FL
    It's not so much what he did as what we saw in his potential. Stokes has a natural scoring and shooting touch. Even one of our coaches told him he'd be in the NBA if he ever got serious about work ethic and conditioning.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. incoldblood

incoldblood GC Legend

Nov 30, 2016
    The Man-Child!

I had no idea until recently that he used to be Trevor Ariza’s stepfather.

• Informative Informative x 1
  9. tampajack1

tampajack1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    That’s why Ariza considered going to Florida.

10. shane4three

shane4three GC Hall of Fame

Dec 24, 2014
    Needs a Stetson or Jacksonville, not a major.

11. shane4three

shane4three GC Hall of Fame

Dec 24, 2014
    Couldn’t get in shape either.

12. murphree_hall

murphree_hall Freshman

Jul 11, 2019
    NBA? I just don't see it, man. He's barely good enough to get on the floor in a D1 game. Typically, these aren't the guys who can make it to the NBA. I didn't see the raw ability to justify such a claim.

13. cincinnatigator

cincinnatigator GC Hall of Fame

Mar 5, 2017
    Yea, just a 300 pound kid with post moves, dunking ability, and a soft outside touch. Nothing to see there.

• Like Like x 1
  14. murphree_hall

murphree_hall Freshman

Jul 11, 2019
    But is he as good as the other kids in D1 or the pros? He's not even one of the better players on his team. Also, I wouldn't say he has dunking ability. Let's face it, he can barely get off the ground.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Matherly87

Matherly87 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    By dunking ability, I think he means every player in the NBA would have the ability to dunk over him.

• Like Like x 1
  16. cincinnatigator

Mar 5, 2017
    Considering he's a heavy kid coming off an ACL tear, it's impressive. All they were saying is that if his work ethic matched his natural ability, he'd be going to the NBA. Maybe don't take it literally, the point they're making was that he's got a ways to go mentally.

17. murphree_hall

murphree_hall Freshman

Jul 11, 2019
    We can agree to disagree, but I didn't see any remarkable natural ability. He can play basketball, but I personally didn't see anything elite about him that said NBA. I don't even see him as D1 starter material right now, and it's not just because of his work ethic. I think the NBA bigs would eat him alive no matter how much he worked out.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. tampajack1

tampajack1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    The uncertainty with Stokes is what happens if he loses his body fat and gets down to 230 pounds or so. Will that give him the quickness and leaping ability that he needs to succeed in the game of basketball. I think that he has the requisite skill set, but he doesn’t have the athleticism. I am rooting for the kid to succeed even though he might be playing for the competition. Another question is does he get an extra year of eligibility if he goes to a D-1 school, considering that he already has taken a redshirt year.

• Like Like x 1
    • Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
  19. cincinnatigator

Mar 5, 2017
    Of course he'd get eaten alive. Not D1 starter material, won't ever be. It's too late to be playing catchup. He's got no one to blame but himself, but he had a ton of ability. If he'd worked hard all through high school, he'd be a star player. Very few kids can have a successful D1 career without dedication to the sport early on. I wonder how many hours he put in with no one watching, probably very few.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. murphree_hall

murphree_hall Freshman

Jul 11, 2019
    I doubt whether getting down to 230 pounds would do that much for him. Maybe it would, who knows? He just doesn't have natural athleticism, like we both said. In contrast, Zion is 285 pounds and can jump higher than 99.9% of NBA athletes. It's not really about his weight to me. I just don't see anything special. I feel as though most college bigs can do what he did at least as good or better than he did. I'm not bashing the kid... he did better than most people by even making it to D1. Certainly, better than I did. I just can't get jiggy with any talk of him being an NBA prospect.