Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Stokes just entered the transfer portal

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by ThunderGator, Jul 3, 2019.

1. filamg8torfan

filamg8torfan Senior

Mar 17, 2019
    I wish him well and hope that he will be successful wherever he goes.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  2. GatorTodd

GatorTodd GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    I thought he was dropping weight in the off season. No?

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. SeabudGator

SeabudGator GC Legend

Apr 23, 2014
    Two things. I hope nobody wishes anything but the best for the kid. Second, when he played for UF this year, the same shortcomings pointed to now were identified then. If you can’t play D, rebound, or fit in the dribble drive I doubt you play much for white. He couldn’t and he didn’t.

You have every right to believe he will either develop those skills or play in a system that minimizes his weaknesses (zone D). I can disagree without it being because he is leaving or Ill will to him. I hope I’m wrong, but reports of conflict with coaching doesn’t help his case. Anyway, best to him and Go Gators.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. diamondted13

diamondted13 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 1, 2008
    I guess I need to clarify that I am not endorsing the 2018-19 version of Stokes as a huge loss or a guy deserving major rotational minutes. I was hoping for a player committed to proper weight loss and conditioning who could be more of a finished product/contributor in 20-21.

Many posters have been hyper-focused on what he couldn't do. Some of us focused on what he could become assuming proper motivation/conditioning. I'm going to assume (safely I think) that he wasn't buying into those things and if so I wish him good luck in future endeavors elsewhere. CMW probably did the right thing here.

With that said, my main concern was always going to be his rebounding. If he hit his offensive ceiling I was willing to live with mediocre defense. There's no substitute for guys that can score and you can do things defensively to mitigate a bad defender. Kennedy Meeks was a pedestrian defender at UNC, to put it mildly. But he could score and helped them win a NC. Of course, he was a better rebounder than Stokes.

Perhaps most of you are right and he will just be untapped potential. He needs to find the proper motivation and quickly. To say he wasn't a fit in terms of style belies CMW's recruitment of him. I think he was willing to deal with some athletic (i.e. defensive) shortcomings if he reached his offensive ceiling, which I believe would have included running and spacing the floor.

• Like Like x 1
  5. akaGatorhoops

akaGatorhoops VIP Member GC Columnist

Apr 10, 2007
    I think he proved to be as much a cultural misfit as anything else. And White had a few of those. . . lamenting it over the course of a couple seasons, and cleaning house this off season.
    I have closely followed White and his teams since his time at La Tech. And the overriding attribute he looks for in players is intense competitiveness. Ultra intense.
    Guys like Stokes and Stone were just not his type players.
    There is a reason he loved Kevarrius as much as he did, as well as guys like Egor and Cheese.
    I think we will see this characteristic repeat more frequently now that White has his footing in the recruiting world. He will recruit the 'pitbulls' as he has referred.
    That wasn't Stokes.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Informative Informative x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  6. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Ringwood, NJ
    Thant's not my point at all. Projecting a kid's fit is an imperfect science. I think White hoped he would give us an efficient low post presence in our four-out looks and that he could develop a nice enough mid-range or perimeter game (you could see some of this in his prep film) to move us to five-out. He would have been complementary to longer, more active bigs like Hayes and Gak.

But, as I said, the injury, weight gain, and redshirt really set him behind. The kid had barely played in two years, was coming off a massive weight gain and loss, thus spending a year getting himself in shape to practice, not necessarily play, let alone be quick on the court. As a consequence, he was barely in good enough shape to play, and when he did get on the court he was adjusting to the collegiate game on the fly without the experience or conditioning to improve on his weaknesses like ball screen coverage or transition defense or help rotations. That's why you saw him so late getting to his spot and fouling so frequently. He just never had the chance to show us what the staff thought he could become, and those factors are the reasons why (I have no basis to make a judgement about his attitude or commitment).

7. diamondted13

diamondted13 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 1, 2008
    It sounds like we are in agreement. Or at least I agree with everything you just said. You are making my point that he was far from a finished product and had a ways to go. I figured 20-21 would give him enough time. But maybe you are right and the injury and weight gain lowered his ceiling significantly.

8. 33hoop

33hoop GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Lexington, KY
    Don’t think he was ever a good fit for White’s system. Just seemed snakebit from the word go. Best of luck to him.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  9. twodaparty

twodaparty GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    All the squawking and it’s a pretty open shut case. Talented guy but didn’t do what was expected of him to have even a chance of being successful in our system.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. jeffphillips21

jeffphillips21 GC Hall of Fame

Jun 20, 2009
    Vancouver
    sometimes players who have had bad luck or a hard time within a program just need a change of scenery...best of luck to him

Can he still opt out of the portal and come back?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. MadduxFanII

MadduxFanII GC Hall of Fame

Apr 10, 2007
    In general? Yes - players have entered the portal and elected not to transfer. It sounds like that may not be an option for Stokes, though.

12. akaGatorhoops

Apr 10, 2007
    Let's talk in June. (I just wanted to say it. :) )

• Funny Funny x 2
  13. OklahomaGator

OklahomaGator Jedi Administrator Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Miami, OK
    I was sure rooting for him. Sad to see him go. I think the ACL injury changed his workout/exercise but didn't change his eating habits, a bad combination for a D1 athlete.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. gatorbogey

gatorbogey Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    s. e. florida
    Possible Rotation almost equals number of significant digits! Good symmetry!

• Funny Funny x 1
  15. 33hoop

33hoop GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Lexington, KY
    I’m so excited for this coming season. If we can go an entire season without injury to anyone, the sky is the limit.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  16. tegator80

tegator80 GC Hall of Fame

May 29, 2007
    Richmond, VA
    This is kind of interesting. Did his brother have a laid back attitude? I know he didn't play that way.

17. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    Lotta projections here w little or no substantiation. People believe what they want to believe. To act like they know, though, is silly.

18. akaGatorhoops

Apr 10, 2007
    Exactly why Stokes left is somewhat unknown, but much of the discussion around his time here is known to be true. He arrived injured, out of shape and overweight. Both White and Stokes commented on all of this, including Isaiah’s “buy-in”, dietary habits, playing time restrictions, etc.
    I agree it is speculation as to whether those issues persisted after a surge during which Stokes acknowledged the problems and praised White for pushing a change. But minimal weight loss in the months since would give a reasonable hint.
    I’m bummed to see him go as I think he has some great skill. I think we will see him succeed somewhere.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. number1

number1 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 9, 2011
    Hopefully not on a team that we face. lol

20. twodaparty

twodaparty GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Our guy davisl seems hellbent on defending IS to the very end!! Number 1 fan!

• Winner Winner x 1