Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Stokes just entered the transfer portal

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by ThunderGator, Jul 3, 2019.

1. akaGatorhoops

akaGatorhoops VIP Member GC Columnist

Apr 10, 2007
    No one. But another player is likely to transfer in.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. Matherly87

Matherly87 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    No insider info here but off the top of my head I wouldn't be surprised if he ended up at Washington. I hear its the new Gator Big Man Pipeline of the future.

3. wci347

wci347 GC Hall of Fame

Thank God we have depth in the front court for the first time in the White era. I hate to see Stokes go particularly after he got to mend and get stronger at the expense of a scholarship only to repay our benevolence by transferring now that he is all but back up to speed.

4. akaGatorhoops

Apr 10, 2007
    Define “speed”. ;)

Kidding aside, I don’t think the staff was trying to talk him out of this decision. Just speculation, but I’d bet it was closer to a mutual decision than a betrayal by Stokes.

• Agree Agree x 3
  5. vaxcardinal

vaxcardinal GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Stokes potential was mainly based on watching his brother.

• Agree Agree x 5
  6. akaGatorhoops

Apr 10, 2007
    Though the reputation of his brother probably added some hype, I think he had some real potential on his own merits.
    But like I tell my son... potential is meaningless unless it’s realized.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    Here come the dismissive comments and assumptions. The kid has ball skills and I hate to see him go. Fans of a program will alter their opinions, often inaccurately, based upon the fact a player no longer reps their team.
    I hope @cincinnatigator is correct about addition via a team guy.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. GatorLurker

GatorLurker VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Except for the NBA draft where it can mean millions of dollars.

Then realized potential can be gazzilions of dollars.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. akaGatorhoops

Apr 10, 2007
    Good point.

My son just declared himself eligible.

• Funny Funny x 3
  10. ApexNC

ApexNC GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    NC
    This one feels like one of those "mutual decision" types of parting. No inside info, just reading between the lines.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. oneatatime

oneatatime GC Hall of Fame

Apr 19, 2007
    His reputation out of high school was not as good as his older brother, but you would have thought he would have lit a fire under him and apparently it never happened

12. SeabudGator

SeabudGator GC Legend

Apr 23, 2014
    Is it dismissive to say I don’t want to see him go but doubt he would ever make a big difference at UF? Kid played little D, was slow up the court, and was not a good rebounder. Not the recipe for success under white.

Not dismissing him or certainly his offensive skills(though he was slow to initiate), just think he will fit better elsewhere and we may get a player that fits better. Not berating the kid but he didn’t fit and seemed to want/need the team to play his style but don’t think he is talented enough for that?

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. GatorLurker

GatorLurker VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    I used to play pickup with John Pelphrey so I know what inside info is. He told me lots of stuff that I never divulged.

In fact I got him to be a regular player in our noontime game. He was practicing at Florida Gym to get ready for one of those preseason things when I walked up to him and asked if he wanted to play the next pickup game as I had downs. He then played for years. Even after we got kicked out of Florida Gym and snuck our way into the new venue just a little north and east of Alligator Alley.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Matherly87

Matherly87 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    Question if we don't get the Appleby kid or any other transfer, would the coaches award a one year scholly to Klatsky as a thank you to his dad and the prestige of being a scholarship athlete even though they don't need the funds?

15. reaves2alvarez

reaves2alvarez Junior

Nov 29, 2016
    Billy certainly had his fair share washout. But my confidence in MW has gone way up with the KB addition and the incoming class. He knows what he’s doing. I never felt like Stokes was all in. Maybe it’s for the best for both parties. He certainly wasn’t going to see a lot of time this coming year.

“Wes Chandler was Percy Harvin before Percy Harvin was born.”

16. diamondted13

diamondted13 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 1, 2008
    No. You hold onto the scholarship going into the season. Good players will enter the transfer portal once the season starts. You have to have a schollie available to sign any transfer. There's no need for this goodwill gesture. Klatsky family isn't expecting one.

• Informative Informative x 1
  17. manigordo

manigordo GC Hall of Fame

From the article I read, it seems clear that the issue is about fit, philosophy and playing time. I see it a good move for Stokes. The Gators, while suffering a loss, are suddenly in good shape in the middle. He has real talent which I hope he develops wherever he goes and I wish him well.

If we do get Appleby in return, that is another plus; a PG with proven ability who can practice with the team for a year and know the system following Nembhart's departure. I would take that all day long.

• Agree Agree x 3
  18. timthibault

timthibault Junior

Aug 25, 2018
    These transfers do not reflect on the coach at all.

....well the transfers in definitely do, just not the transfers out is what I mean to say.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. your_perfect_enemy

your_perfect_enemy GC Hall of Fame

Apr 7, 2010
    I always thought he should have stuck with football

• Winner Winner x 1
  20. maxgator

maxgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Yes. Plenty of dismissive statements. Many mine. But his transfer pretty much proves them out. You can have all the potential in the world but it is just obvious this guy isn't willing to do what it takes. The fact that he is leaving because of a 1 year guy in KBJ and potential competition in Payne and jit says what about him? What, did he think he was going to have all the minutes this year? I bet he STILL can't get up and down the court.
    I would have loved for him to stay and develop into the kind of player that you guys all see in him. But, if he can't even participate in off season workouts.workouts... well good luck elsewhere.