Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Still love Coach White...

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by GratefulGator, Feb 5, 2019.

1. MaceoP

MaceoP GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Aftere the Foley-Maclechump debacle the last 8 years, I'm hesitant to just give coaches the 'benefit of the doubt" I'm not calling for his head, but iMO, in his 3rd year, the team looks like it has no direction.. I'm somewhat sure that regardless of the makeup, the team can perform better offensively and look more cohesive. That is something the coacehes can fix.

2. akaGatorhoops

akaGatorhoops VIP Member GC Columnist

Apr 10, 2007

I would respectfully disagree with the last part... unless the “fix” is recruiting.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. MaceoP

MaceoP GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    A small example of what I see. When you rank 167 in 3Pt percentage made, and 76 in 3pt attempts, that is a bad mix. Obviously with our rebounding problems and issues making 3's, IMO, we should not be firing up 3's early in the clock when we don't have anyone under the net. CMW can fix that.

4. gatordavisl

gatordavisl GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    I don't think it's that simple. We can't avoid shooting 3s, when we have little post up or penetration game.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. akaGatorhoops

Apr 10, 2007
    We are very one dimensional offensively. That is a personnel problem.

And bc we are so one dimensional, we are very easy to guard. And bc we are very easy to guard, we don’t have the ability to pass up shots for “maybe a better one later”. That “better one” likely won’t come.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. HallGator

HallGator Senile Mod Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Outer Limits
    We often go late in the clock before we shoot

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. 33hoop

33hoop GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Lexington, KY
    To give White credit, nobody could have predicted Hudson not contributing much to the team this season as well as KA not doing much either until the last several games. That can’t be blamed on White for their issues. Also White couldn’t predict Stone getting hurt but let’s not pretend he was doing much prior to his injury either. What can be blamed on White is our lack of successfully recruiting quality bigs when we knew that our front court guys were gimpy and not of high quality. Maybe White will pull a rabbit out of his hat and address this for next season. All we can do for now is watch this dumpster fire for a little while longer and hope for better next season.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. twodaparty

twodaparty GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Throw in the injuries? Think I meant to say that. I don’t know I’m like 10 bourbons in now. Hope this second half goes well.

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. miloappis

miloappis Sophomore

Mar 19, 2018
    Right on target!!!

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. cincinnatigator

cincinnatigator GC Hall of Fame

Mar 5, 2017
    [​IMG]

That's the only way to describe our offense. The effort is there, the skill level is not.

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
  11. mdgator05

mdgator05 Premium Member

Dec 9, 2010
    It seems odd that we aren't talking about our PG being able to drive to break down a defense. So, here is a question: why did we get Nembhard if he is such a bad fit? I remember all this discussion about how his length would transform the offense and that we struggled last year on offense because the personnel wasn't a correct fit/wasn't long enough to finish at the rim. Now, the focus is on how Nembhard lacks quickness and can't break people down, which is slowing the offense. Nembhard isn't a spectacular shooter. His defense isn't other worldly. If he can't lead the offense due to being a poor fit, what is his role? Why were people excited about what he brought to this team that is, theoretically, supposed to rely on driving and breaking people down off the dribble.

I feel like the hype for next year's class is very similar to what we heard last year about Nembhard.

• Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. akaGatorhoops

Apr 10, 2007
    Nemhard has used his length and skill to get to the rim. He just isn't finishing.
    It happened several times today.

I think that can and will improve. I think part of it is freshman timidity. And some of it is strength.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. GatorPlanet

GatorPlanet GC Hall of Fame

Apr 15, 2007
    Maitland, FL
    Nembhard is trying to finesse the ball in on layups. Leaning away, flipping it up from waist-high, not jumping. Dude. Remember JV basketball; go up with the hand opposite the hoop, elevating off the other foot, go AT the rim, not away from it, and get as high off the floor as you can. If it gets blocked, well, that's just a good defensive play. But don't make it easy for the D. An open layup should never be a miss. Hell, get up there and dunk it.
    Film study: watch Scottie Wilbekin become SEC POTY by going at the hoop strong and never missing layups. Forget finesse; it doesn't work at this level.

• Like Like x 2
  14. madgator

madgator GC Hall of Fame

May 28, 2007
    South Florida

As we saw yesterday with a really bad run of shot clock violations.....it doesn't

15. madgator

madgator GC Hall of Fame

May 28, 2007
    South Florida

So now we should be skeptical of every 5 star we get and lump them all into the same category?

16. tc7

tc7 Junior

May 5, 2015
    Playing a 4 guard lineup at a slow pace is a recipe for losing. I don't think I've ever seen a small team try to grind out wins against bigger teams like Tennessee and be very successful. We're built to play fast so why the heck aren't we playing fast? We can't score very well in the half court so why not try to get the ball out in transition more? Why did we not try to attack Williams and scofield off the dribble more? We had some success the few times we tried.
    I fully support coach and i think he's right for us. I still think the arrow of trajectory is pointing north. But I think he's in his own head right now. We're not trying to play to our strengths imo. The fact that we've this competitive playing this style with a small lineup is kinda impressive in itself, even though it's the wrong move imo.

• Like Like x 1
  17. diamondted13

diamondted13 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 1, 2008
    They went hard after Dotson. Lots of time, effort and energy. Once he started waffling they had to move quickly or risk not landing Nembhard either. Dotson was always the better player and better fit. Same old story when you're recruiting against UK, KU, Duke, etc. We did well to land Nembhard. He's just not a good enough shooter/scorer to carry this offense, nor should that ever have been expected of him. I see him as more of a complimentary piece long term. A steady, smart PG who protects the ball and facilitates for others.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  18. akaGatorhoops

Apr 10, 2007
    This pretty much nails it, though I think really undersells Nembhard a bit.
    Andrew is faster and has better driving ability than he has had opportunity to show. He played very up tempo in high school w RJ, and was looking for similar system. This isn’t “square peg/round hole”, imo.
    He needs to get stronger, and finish better... but he is getting to the rim. I think the the incoming personnel will open the floor for him a lot.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  19. INGATORSWETRUST

INGATORSWETRUST GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Florida
    If he can’t recruit quality bigs, he has to go. Can’t win in tourney without well rounded roster. Billy’s guys are gone now and this is White’s roster now. Will see how we do next year with great incoming class, but need a big that can rebound, block shots and create own points. Can’t shoot 30 percent from field either

20. mdgator05

mdgator05 Premium Member

Dec 9, 2010
    Not what I am saying. I am skeptical of arguments that this offense will look totally different because of the next batch of freshmen next year because I remember that exact same argument from last year, centering on Nembhard. And this year's offense is much worse. I think this offense requires a level of athlete that is hard to consistently get outside of the blue blood programs (and can even be hard to get for some of them). I think people on here focus on the aspects that they think will help while ignoring the other aspects of their games that might not or might even make the situation worse.