Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Still love Coach White...

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by GratefulGator, Feb 5, 2019.

1. GratefulGator

GratefulGator GC Legend

Oct 15, 2016
    Denver
    I still love Coach White and I think he is the right man. But good God, what a freakin mess this season has devolved. Auburn is a very good team. The shifty and sweaty guy is an ok coach.

BUT...
    I hope CMW can turn things around next season. He has stellar players coming in this year and has a great start already on next year's team. It's not his fault that our front court guys have had injuries. I hope CMW is our guy. I hope he is here for a long time.

BUT, he desperately needs a big-guy transfer for next season, in addition to his highly-ranked class coming in. Hopefully, CMW can utilize Lewis and Mann as fearless and fast rim finishers, because if they cannot create and finish we will have the same issues as this team--nobody with balls to challenge the hoop.

This season has been difficult, but I have the hope that we can power through.

Go Gators!

Last edited: Feb 6, 2019
    • Like Like x 4
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  2. channingcrowderhungry

channingcrowderhungry Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Bottom of a pint glass
    It's hard to make excuses because there are more issues than just the big men. But I put myself in White's shoes an here is what he most likely though he had coming into this season

Johnson
    Gak
    Hayes
    Stokes
    Bassett

And what's left? That's a tough hand to be dealt.

Mix in Hudson, which White probably could have handled better (I'm just looking from the outside in) and you get a recipe for a very rough season.

• Like Like x 2
  3. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    To be fair injuries haven’t helped, but none of the big men on campus were, or ever really showed signs of being impact guys even before they were injured. Gak was always a project, Stone never really developed, Stokes hasn’t shown much to this point, and Hayes is who he is. It’s recruiting and development much more than injuries. Won’t get better until we recruit and develop quality front court guys.

• Like Like x 8
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. channingcrowderhungry

Apr 3, 2007
    Bottom of a pint glass
    Problem is you cant recruit if you dont know what your roster is going to look like. Johnson and Gak were two sunk roster spots. And Stokes was only one season off injury, so hard to know.

If was essentially 3 sunk big man roster spots that White couldn't have predicted. (Arguable with Stokes)

• Like Like x 2
  5. HallGator

HallGator Senile Mod Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Outer Limits

You're largely operating from hindsight here my man.

• Like Like x 4
  6. GATORJV

GATORJV Sophomore

Oct 10, 2014
    This isn't directed at anyone here, but I really hope all of fans jumping off the Florida basketball bandwagon this year stay off next year when our season is a 180 degree turnaround.

I personally think MW is still the guy, but next year will determine that. Just my non-expert opinion.

The level of vitriol being directed at him reminds me of people just hating on Franks 24/7.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. GratefulGator

GratefulGator GC Legend

Oct 15, 2016
    Denver
    Stone was having a breakout game until he got injured. I think he would have been great for us for the rest of the season, injury notwithstanding.

I agree. But we also need guys whose balls have dropped to drive to the hoop with authority.

8. cincinnatigator

cincinnatigator GC Hall of Fame

Mar 5, 2017
    Auburn is much better than their current record suggests. They look as good if not better than Tennessee from what I saw, talent-wise. Not sure they or anyone else has the mental toughness that UT does though.

We're just not anywhere near that talent level. Doesn't matter of you have Red Auerbach coaching this team, we can't make enough shots. We have 2 semi-good scorers, none of whom are comfortable creating their own shot. So much time within each possession is spent with the ball not moving 30 feet from the basket. Then we start to play with some urgency late in the shot clock when it's already too late. Same ole story.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. gatordavisl

gatordavisl GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    People forget we lost a senior stud PG. Nembhard will be special, but he's a true freshman. So in addition to the crazy attrition in the front court, we've transitioned from a veteran PG to a freshman.

This was going to be a major transition year. Then Hudson came back and we thought it might be a good year. Then we had more injuries and Hudson/Stone pulled a Houdini early in the season. One simply can't expect much this go round. We'll be back.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  10. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Yes and no. Gak was the only true center we have gotten in the past 4 recruiting cycles and he was ranked outside of the top 200 by 247 - that leaves an extremely thin margin for error. And the 6-8 and 6-9 kids we have gotten aren’t inside guys outside of Stokes, they would all rather be on the perimeter.
    Just not a well constructed roster for our league in particular, injuries or not. Especially when you consider we haven’t gotten penetrators either, which is a staple of this offense. When you don’t have either inside presence or ability to break a defense down to get shots, you get this season.

Next year will be better because some of the new guys can actually get their own shot, but we still need more inside.

• Like Like x 2
  11. gatorchamps0607

gatorchamps0607 Always Rasta Premium Member

Aug 14, 2007
    Hendersonville, TN
    White deserves at least one more year, anyone calling for his head this season is someone who has never and will never lead any important team (be it sports or business) in any high level capacity. The results so far this year leave A LOT to be desired but the man has recruited his ass off and nearly went to the final four and has made 2 tourney appearance. He absolutely 100% deserves at least one more year to right the ship.

Do we want to bring up the last couple years of Billy Donovans teams with over a decade to develop the roster? I didn't think so. Give the man so time, he may be THE guy or he may be a dud, but that has yet to be seen.

• Like Like x 1
  12. BLING

BLING GC Hall of Fame

Apr 16, 2007
    To be fair, none of these guys were truly "big time" recruits. Although I will admit I thought Gak could be a steal, and I felt good about the Stokes committment. The ACL injury was obviously a killer in Stokes case. Gak is more of a project than I thought, and the knee issues seem like they are just ruining his career.

But the thing is, those issues were already used as excuses for impacting LAST season. White let the front court issue persist 2 straight years, and it somehow seems even worse this year. I guess because he had faith that one of the guys that did nothing last year, would be able to turn it around and contribute this year. Problem is, outside of the 1:1 trade of Hayes for true freshmen Payne, we are sitting in the exact same place next season as well! It's actually worse in terms of returning production, as we are basically losing the only guy who has even given us any production at all (Hayes, though his production is mostly just blocked shots and hustle). We're trading senior for freshmen, that doesn't always go well. Maybe Stokes just needs 1 more extra year and offseason workouts to finally get up to speed from his knee issue, but I certainly hope White is looking for another insurance policy (whether a grad transfer, JUCO, or another recruit).

• Like Like x 3
  13. channingcrowderhungry

Apr 3, 2007
    Bottom of a pint glass
    If White doesn't bring in at least a warm 6'10 body as a grad transfer then he deserves all the negative things that will be said about him next year.

• Like Like x 1
  14. akaGatorhoops

akaGatorhoops VIP Member GC Columnist

Apr 10, 2007
    He is.
    And I suspect he is looking for a bit more than just an insurance policy type addition.

Some may disagree, but it is not the center position that is killing us.
    If Hayes were returning to next year's roster . . . we'd be perfectly fine. He is actually a good fit for the DDO, sans not having great hands and finishing ability on the dumpoffs.

This team is lacking the engine of a dribble drive offense. . . and that is a guy who can break down a defense by attacking, driving. Ideally, a ddo team has at least 2 or 3 of those. We have none. It was supposed to be, and expected to be Jalen Hudson. . . along with some help from KA and Stone.

That hasn't quite worked out. Next year, we add two guys very capable and aggressive at attacking and scoring. Those two players and the addition of that critical ability will transform the offense entirely. You will see the court open up for shooters like Locke. And guys like KJ will have rim runs. That just doesnt exist now. Everything is a struggle because no one on this team can really break a defense off the dribble.

Still, I suspect we will add a complimentary big. . . and an impactful one. But we will not being running any offense thru a guy camped out on the blocks.

Anyway, the good news is that what we really need is arriving . . .in spades! And there is more to come that will make those clamoring for a big, happy too!

• Like Like x 4
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  15. Matherly87

Matherly87 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    I've been saying the same things and hope people realize next year our guard play will improve but our inside game will be no better as we stand now. You are right on with the 1:1 comparison of Hayes to Payne. I would say next season Payne will play like Hayes did in his 2nd year here, but without the ball fumbling. I certainly hope we find a reasonable grad transfer at PF but give me my first pick Precious Achuiwa (dreamworld) and let's move on.

• Like Like x 1
  16. gatorbogey

gatorbogey Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    s. e. florida
    I think everyone knows we need help on the front line...it’s almost an annual issue too, it seems.

This year, preseason the NBN board was scoffing at us being picked 5th. Only a few posters voiced concerns. We al thought we’d have ample front line depth, etc. then reality hit us square in the face!

I do think if Hudson had played like he did last season, we could have masked some of our front line issues.

Next year should be improved with players who can drive. Locke can serve as the assassin from the outside. But need a quality big man or two for balance. Where to get that player is now the concern.

I’m curious to see if the AAU/Shoe scandal and FBI investigation helps sustain UF hoops recruiting. Do we continue landing a majority of our targets? Especially bigs?

One thing about auburn: they are a veteran team, and it shows. If this groups of freshmen and next year’s freshmen stay gators for a couple of years, we should be damn dynamic dynamite!

• Like Like x 1
  17. intimigator1

intimigator1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Male' Maldives
    Realistically I think the coach knows that he is over is head so am not sure why the word "vitriol" comes to play. What comes to my mind is that the play of the team is awkward at best. No real feeling of what it is they are trying to do. What I sense is he is better fit for a mid range school and probably could take a team to the tournament on a regular basis but here I don't honestly feel it is going to happen. Maybe a freak run 1 year but on a regular basis? Nope. I am all for giving more time but just as easily think his time is already up.

18. gatorbogey

gatorbogey Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    s. e. florida
    Could be having a freshmen at the pg.
    could also be that guys we were counting on for drives to the rim, etc - who played super well last season, haven’t approached even a fraction of last season’s form.
    Could be, too, a rash of mounting injuries for the past 2 seasons are taking their toll.
    Offense was pretty good with cheese at the helm, even Hill.

• Like Like x 3
  19. diamondted13

diamondted13 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 1, 2008
    Agree that we need the slashers/athletes desperately. And while a post-up offensive presence is not mandatory for competent offense, it would help immensely. What I'm more worried about is this team has been weak on the boards for a few years now and I don't think Payne will be ready to help much in that regard. We've got to get a C or stretch 4 that can provide post D and rebound at a high level.

• Like Like x 1
  20. akaGatorhoops

akaGatorhoops VIP Member GC Columnist

Apr 10, 2007
    Agree.

I suspect we will.