Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Steve King Defends White Supremacy

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by mdgator05, Jan 10, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mdgator05

mdgator05 Premium Member

Dec 9, 2010
    It will be interesting to see what Republicans say about this. He abandoned the dog whistles and said the quiet part out loud.

Reminder: this is a Republican Congressman that was recently reelected to his 9th term. He was also one of the ideological forebearers of Trumpism, as pointed out in the article, with his language towards immigrants and his anti-immigration proposals.

Before Trump, Steve King Set the Agenda for the Wall and Anti-Immigrant Politics

• Informative Informative x 2
  2. fastsix

fastsix Premium Member

Apr 11, 2007
    Seattle
    I'm sure you can find someone complaining about "Western Civilization" being offensive, but by and large I don't think anyone is going to give you grief for using that phrase. "White Nationalist" you could at least argue isn't a racist phrase, weak argument, but it's there. "White supremacist"? No.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. wgbgator

wgbgator Extremely Online Premium Member

I'm wondering when the time was that people used "white supremacist" positively? Certainly not in King's lifetime.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. fastsix

fastsix Premium Member

Apr 11, 2007
    Seattle
    Probably back in the days when white men dressed like this and spent a lot of time discussing the merits of phrenology.

[​IMG]

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. gator_lawyer

gator_lawyer Premium Member

Oct 30, 2017
    Steve King is just defending himself. Nothing to see here. ;)

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  6. WESGATORS

WESGATORS Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007

Steve King Clarifies ‘White Supremacist’ and ‘White Nationalist’ Defense as Fellow Republicans Accuse Him of Racism, Again

Looks like he's backtracking (assuming he said it in the first place). Does this count as covering his bases? Do we only go with what is said the first time? To people who care, how do you receive this?

Go GATORS!
    ,WESGATORS

7. gator_lawyer

gator_lawyer Premium Member

Oct 30, 2017
    Just read his past comments and look at his past actions. I go with what he said the first time because his history shows what his true feelings are. It's sad that Iowa keeps reelecting that person.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 3
  8. mutz87

mutz87 Complexified VIP Member

Aug 30, 2014
    King has too long of a track record to even consider it as anything but what it is. He supports white supremacy. There is no clearer example in congress.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  9. iowagator

iowagator Premium Member

He had a close call--10,000 vote win--this last time. That was against a very unknown D who had to win a primary. One R has already announced he is running in the primary and another may announce as well.

Perhaps for the good of all King will accept a lobbyist job somewhere and resign!

• Like Like x 2
  10. BLING

BLING GC Hall of Fame

Apr 16, 2007
    I was going to say *Iowa* doesn't technically keep re-electing him, because the guy is only a congressmen. I thought he might represent some podunk district. But, he actually he represents a district with 500,000+ that is 50/50 urban and suburban (including Sioux City and Ames). That is actually a pretty large slice of Iowa. His district is 95% white though, which I guess is how he seemingly never gets punished for making such disgusting/idiotic comments.

Iowa's 4th congressional district - Wikipedia

• Informative Informative x 2
  11. tarponbro

tarponbro GC Legend

Feb 10, 2016
    If he said "white Nationalist" I think that's a racist statement. "Nationalist" would be better.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. BLING

BLING GC Hall of Fame

Apr 16, 2007
    Even "Nationalist" kind of has a negative stigma with the whole Fascist/Hitler thing. Unless someone wants to affiliate themselves with the fascist movement, it's pretty damn stupid for anyone to proclaim themselves a "nationalist", particularly for any American to do so.

The whole concept of nationalism is sort of incompatible with the concept of the United States, since we actually don't share a "single culture" or "single history" like those European states that went the fascist route. The whole history of the United States is basically that it's an amalgamation of many cultures, pretty much the opposite of "nationalism".

• Agree Agree x 6
  13. kdm

kdm Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Miami, FL
    Quick, where's my shocked face emoji when I need it?

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  14. iowagator

iowagator Premium Member

Just a quick note--all 4 Iowa districts are very similar in population. The state actually draws fair districts and one of the rules is population has to be as equal as possible.

It is a podunk district when you truly look at the details.

The urban/rural breakdown is very misleading in this case. First of all there is nothing actually urban in the state of Iowa. Des Moines only has 225K or so.

In the 4th Sioux City (80K)and Ames (60K) account for about 140K of the population. The next largest city is 27K and the rest go down from there. The area is heavy ag and heavy R. The only liberal area in his district is Ames which is home to Iowa State. Sioux City is mostly red with a tad bit of blue--but the county is overall red.

• Informative Informative x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  15. gatorknights

gatorknights GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Gainesville, FL
    Both my parents grew up in rural Iowa (Denison and Albert City) so I spent a lot of time visiting the grandparents, and going to wrestling camp in Ames. Depending on one's definition of urban, there is no urban in Iowa. Not even Urbandale (Des Moines) :D. As I recall Iowa was heavy republican back then, but it appears that "republican" has significantly changed since then, but the good people in farm country haven't seen the memo yet. If those people get hosed over, as it appears they are going to, we will notice a big change away from red to blue. The same is probably true in surrounding states in farm country. They don't appreciate getting worked by a slime ball big city con man, especially since they rarely encounter them.

16. iowagator

iowagator Premium Member

The metro areas--Des Moines, Cedar Rapids, Davenport/Bettendorf, Ames among others is pretty blue. The state has 4 CD's--3 are now D thanks to the last election. Both senators are R.

Iowa really is pretty purple these days. The folks in the King district seem to be tiring of him. The 10K is the closest race he has had--even the very popular wife of a former gov could not get that close. So there is hope on the horizon!

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. rivergator

rivergator Too Hot Mod Moderator VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
  18. citygator

citygator Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Charlotte
    Republican response...

• Like Like x 2
  19. oragator1