Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Statistically, Does The Prevent Defense Really Work?

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by The_RH_Factor, Sep 7, 2021.

1. KSAGator

KSAGator Premium Member

Jan 26, 2014
    Mexico
    It works great when you can generate heavy pressure with three down linemen.

• Like Like x 1
  2. coach

coach GC Hall of Fame

Dec 5, 2008
    Boca Raton
    I agree with this. Just don't have your CBs biting hard and getting beat on a double move and have your safeties earning their name.

• Winner Winner x 1
  3. trump4life

trump4life All American

Oct 7, 2020
    Tallahassee
    Only if two minutes are left in game, you are up by 35 and you are playing a team with only 11 players on the roster.

P.S. They must be really tired!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. tegator80

tegator80 GC Hall of Fame

May 29, 2007
    Richmond, VA
    There isn't anything wrong with a prevent defense.

The problem is the coaches seem to call it too early.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. wargunfan

wargunfan GC Hall of Fame

Jan 6, 2010
    Inside your head.
    It wasn't a "prevent" defense. It was a soft zone with the corners dropped off 10-15 yds. That defense allowed FAU to control the ball way too much. I hope TG will switch defenses more and keep the other offense off balance.
    My son and I were at the game and we both would tell each other where the FAU receiver was going to be open every time. FAU sent their slot receiver over the middle just beyond the LOS and our LBs were dropped off so deep the play was wide open every time. I could see what was coming. Why cant TG? Very frustrating.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
  6. Swamp_Swagger

Swamp_Swagger GC Legend

May 11, 2013
    Just seems like we have no playmakers when it comes to pass defense. Not a single guy you can really point to and say at least we know he is gonna make a play or at least not be a liability

Our guys are just there but don’t anything more. Maybe that’s good enough to be better than last year but I don’t see us just magically going from crap to good. More like crap to average

• Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. tigator2019

tigator2019 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 25, 2018
    In my head--- UF
    Elam.

And our student athletes aren’t crap

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. GatorDoc74

GatorDoc74 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Carter.

• Like Like x 1
  9. easycoastgator

easycoastgator GC Legend

Dec 26, 2018
    I’ve watched the 27 min Mick abridged video twice since I watched the original broadcast.
    I can’t pin down what our strategy is on D when it comes to covering receivers. It seems like most plays we had one man (prob Elam) playing on line of scrimmage press coverage. Everyone else 7-10 yards off like last year.
    I mean… it is a strategy that can work… bend don’t break. It can result in the other team not scoring many or as many points. It also means our D is on the field a lot. And if we have the bodies, then ok, otherwise we lose in Q4 to any team with a potent O

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. tommyvee

tommyvee GC Hall of Fame

May 16, 2007
    TG shares that in his presser today…
    Todd Grantham 9-6-21

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  11. RealGatorFan

RealGatorFan Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I said this in another thread:

The best defense against Dan Mullen's offense is a Grantham defense. Why is Georgia, Bama, Ohio St, Clemson better than us? Defense. They get off the field more often giving their offense more opportunities. In the game against FAU, our defense had just one 3 and out. One. After the offense started the game and scored, the defense only gave them 3 more possessions for the rest of the half. That's not enough touches for an offense. It's like having to start the game all over again because you sat on the sidelines so long. And as the defense stays out there longer, they fade in the 2nd half.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  12. easycoastgator

easycoastgator GC Legend

Dec 26, 2018
    That was an interesting vid. I’ll admit I don’t understand his methodology and I still don’t after watching that presser. He can say “we are not a bend, don’t break defense” but I dunno

13. GameTime1

GameTime1 GC Hall of Fame

Jul 27, 2015
    They started their first drive 1st and 15. We could have completely set the tone.. We lost contain twice and gave them a 10 yard gain on a check down. Same as always.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  14. tommyvee

tommyvee GC Hall of Fame

May 16, 2007
    He’s saying we press, but depending on the formation, guys play off so not to get picked. I thought he covered a lot of the issues we had with the defense saying at times guys were slow to react.

• Like Like x 1
  15. easycoastgator

easycoastgator GC Legend

Dec 26, 2018
    Yeah, gotcha on the not getting picked part. I’m sure our guys aren’t executing it the way G envisions it since it’s only the first game. Hopefully it comes together

16. tommyvee

tommyvee GC Hall of Fame

May 16, 2007
    Good watch…

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 2
  17. Bushmaster

Bushmaster GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007

Leaving Donkey out of this for argument sake, the LSU game was a prime example of this.

I think we are up by 1 with a little under 2 minutes to go, LSU with no timeouts, we pick it off and score and kick the extra point. Now we are up by 8 and are kicking off to LSU with still under 2 minutes to go and they have a chance to tie it with a TD and a 2 point conversion.

We pick it off, and run down to the 10 or so and step out of bounds. LSU, with no time outs, can't stop the clock, we take a knee three times and its game over. Nothing LSU can do. Nada.

We gave them a chance to send it to overtime. Not smart football.

• Like Like x 1
  18. shelbygt350

shelbygt350 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    I've always thought of Prevent Defense in two forms.

#1- you are up by 7 or less with 2:10 to go and opponent is on own 14 yd line with 1 TO left. You go into prevent defense and they eat you alive. You "prevented" yourself from winning as they score a passing TD from your own 14 yd line....72 yard drive in 2:02 time.

#2- you are up 38-10 with 5 min to go. You go prevent def, they drive 70 yds and score to make it 38-17, a 21 pt margin but eat up 3 min leaving 2 minutes for them to score 3 TDs. They on side kick, they get ball and eat up more clock. You win, they lose.

• Winner Winner x 4
  19. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    When you can lose if you don't take a knee then the coaches call that as a play. But I know what you're saying. We were not in danger of losing the game I was referencing. I'll have to go back and re-watch that crappy LSU fog bowl game.

And on more thing, we should never spend time tackling our own team mates on defense that get a turnover. The Donkey got made in the Vanderbilt game too when Davis ran a play for the first down and instead of just getting a first down he took it to the house. Again, nothing wrong with scoring in game. That's not the same thing as a coach calling 3 victory plays in a row. Not at all.

20. Bushmaster

Bushmaster GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    The LSU game was a couple years ago wen we won at their place. We picked a pass and ran it back and scored. We could have just picked it off and fell down then run out the clock. Noted, we returned it for a TD and then had to kick of with it still being a 1 scoe game.

Not sure we are talking about the same thing.