Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

State of the Canes

Discussion in 'Awesome Recruiting' started by candymanfromgc, Dec 24, 2018.

1. madgator

madgator GC Hall of Fame

May 28, 2007
    South Florida

How would he feel if we lost that game? Or better yet, lost in the same way we dominated them...…

the story would be 100% different

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. GameTime1

GameTime1 GC Legend

Jul 27, 2015
    I got as much joy out of this season as anyone. Maybe we have different expectations for our football team, that's entirely possible . My expectations are to play in the SECCG and get into the playoffs. Others might have lower expectations, that's fine. Now one can throw in some stipulations in order to lower expectations (2017 season, previous recruiting, etc) but where do we want to be? Where do we expect to be as UF football fans?

I havent once dismissed this past season, or complained about the results. I understand the situation Mullen inherited. I loved this season, and I love the direction that Mullen has us headed in. But it's not currently where I want the team to be, or expect the team to be. I'm not going to set my expectations to losses at the Swamp, or against teams like Kentucky and Mizzou. I also wont complain or bash when it happens.

And to what really started this whole back and forth, I really couldn't care less who our bowl game opponent was. I get it that most of you did. I care that we played hard, well, and won.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. FranceGator

FranceGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    I think you also didn't care that we were in a NY6 bowl, that it's either playoffs or meh. Our coach, though, disagrees with you. Mullen, speaking about the seniors:

And they got to come here and finish their college football career. A lot of them, this was the last time they put those pads on, and they get to walk off the field as Champions today. They get to walk off, says it right here (pointing to his t-shirt), it says champions...that opportunity to finish your football career as Champion is pretty special.

You're free of course to have your own opinion. You've stated it perhaps once or twice in this thread. :) But I think, as CDM shows, it's an outlier opinion.

(As for me...I want to enjoy Gator football, have a classy program with kids that graduate, see the players having fun instead of the warden-penitentiary mindset, and as Spurrier said, "hang around at the top." I don't need annual playoff trips.)

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. justinwitt07

justinwitt07 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 7, 2018
    Atlanta , GA
    If I had the inclination and energy I would find gametimes original post to disagree with it but I give too much time to people on here that I feel have trouble locating their ahole where their elbow resides

5. justinwitt07

justinwitt07 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 7, 2018
    Atlanta , GA
    I’m not putting anything on you per say but it’s worth noting that the underlying attitude and sentiment your putting out there was what finally wore SOS down and helped make his decision to move on. I’m pretty sure he said in so many words or at least by those around him that 10-2 was no longer enough. While we all want to win every game I think it would behoove us to realize when we’ve got a good thing and try not to set land mines that over the course of time become a turn off for a man doing a phenomenal job and the best he can. I urge folks to keep the feeling of the Muschamp and clarabelle years close to them so as not to be unappreciative of what we’ve finally got once again

• Winner Winner x 7
    • Like Like x 1
  6. FranceGator

FranceGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Very well said. If I may add, let's try to put the players' interests ahead of our entertainment "needs". Billions of $$$ aside, it should be about them growing into leaders in society. And for that mission, losing -- and learning how to respond to it -- is valuable. Hope they respond better to losses than we do. :)

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  7. fox

fox GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Florida Beachland
    A simple change in perspective can make life better.

Hope for the sky, expect the ground.

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. Claygator

Claygator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007

I couldn't agree more. Going out a winner was huge for the seniors.

And Your expectations are very similar to mine.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
  9. GameTime1

GameTime1 GC Legend

Jul 27, 2015
    the underlying attitude and sentiment I'm putting out there is I love the direction Mullen has the program heading in. As France said, I've mentioned it more than once in this thread. I was at most every home game and many road games that SOS coached in, cheering, not booing. My sentiment and attitude didn't wear him down. I'm not complaining about this season.

What are your expectations for next season?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. SeabudGator

SeabudGator GC Legend

Apr 23, 2014
    Play tough, smart football and maximize the talent we have. Win or lose with class and have a team and players we can be proud of. Same expectations every year for me.

Winning games is a product of the first sentence. If the o line gels then 10-11 wins is great. If not, or injuries strike, 8-9 is possible. As long as the talent is maximized and they improve thru the year, I’m happy.

Of note, neither of our last 2 coaches did the above, which is why they deserved to be fired. What Mullen did with this team exceeded my expectations given our talent. I hope he brings in even better talent to compete for national titles occasionally but I will not degrade a great 10 win season, ever, nor will I trade bad representatives of UF for wins.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2018
    • Like Like x 3
  11. JaxGator75

JaxGator75 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Miami not even in the top 4 for Haselwood.

• Funny Funny x 1
  12. AlumofUF

AlumofUF Senior

Feb 1, 2012
    And Miami tears are flowing again with the "loss" of Stevenson, even though they probably never actually had him. Sucks that they lost him to UGA though.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. INGATORSWETRUST

INGATORSWETRUST GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Florida
    Rats all jumping ship at the U. Recruits not interested and South Florida kids want to get away from that environment and culture. Say good bye to gun violence, crime, drugs, and bad influences in local neighborhoods in favor of college towns

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. AlumofUF

AlumofUF Senior

Feb 1, 2012
    HaHa....no Bogle either

15. thomlch

thomlch Junior

Dec 17, 2018
    Wish they had guys still worth stealing but nope. lol

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  16. Notoriousgator

Notoriousgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    This is funny as hell to me. Nicely done.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. DieAGator

DieAGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Bama has 5 DL signed and two committed. Are they really going to sign 7 on the DL? Bogle's missing a huge opportunity here.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. G8rmann

G8rmann Premium Member

Feb 20, 2014
    My guess is Bogle would have ended up at ummm where he would have helped. At Bammers, he is just another great lineman.

19. fox

fox GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Florida Beachland
    FIU and FAU are circling.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  20. eastowest

eastowest GC Hall of Fame

May 13, 2007
    That's the one that they thought they would get.

• Agree Agree x 1