Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

State of the Canes

Discussion in 'Awesome Recruiting' started by candymanfromgc, Dec 24, 2018.

1. candymanfromgc

candymanfromgc Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    State of Miami

The Canes sit at 34th after ESD rankings were compiled. What is going on one might ask? Miami is in a talent rich area and typically recruits very well. They have tradition and the “Cane thing “, a solid if not spectacular coach in Mark Richt who has been through the wars, so what happened and is happening to our friends down south and can this be righted by NSD?

In no particular order I’ve listed the top issues plaguing the Canes with recruits.

1. The Dade/Broward “us against the world” mentality is gone. Many families now are encouraging their top rated prospects to leave the area rather than stay and play for the hometown canes. Some of this is seen as wanting to get them away from the culture of Miami and some just want them to pursue the best opportunity available. For the Cane recruiters, too many times, UM is not viewed as the best case scenario.

2. Program Perception- perception is reality and regardless if true or not, there is a perception that CMR is just riding out the clock. His offense is often criticized and his son on staff is not very popular with the Cane Fans (cue the cane fan jokes). The handling of and lack of development for QB’s is another problem. The Canes lost out on what once had the making of a top grade OL. It seems like a lifetime ago but at one time the Canes were in the hunt for Neal/Lucas/Tarquin and Kingsley. They end up with scrambling for 3 stars and grad transfers from Butler. Diaz Leaves- When Diaz announced and even before it was official, several prospects withdrew their commitment. Solomon, their highest rated LB, flips to Michigan. Several big names UM was hoping to be in the mix for, crossed the Canes off the list. UM conceded Summerall and Zip before signing day. Stephenson was thought to be a Cane but now they don’t think so.

3. Snow Ball- when momentum is in your favor it is a beautiful thing to watch. However, when it goes against you it is almost impossible to stop. This is where they are and answers are hard to find. Will they be able to attract a big name DC? That’s doubtful and it still remains to be seen how many coaches may follow Diaz to Temple.

4. Administration-Many wonder about the level of concern the administration shows for the FB program. The facilities are not great and we all know the fan support or lack thereof.

5. Can CMR turn it around? I don’t know but my contact down there has all but given up. He claims the negativity is worse than the last Golden year and is of the belief that CMR does not have the fire anymore to do what’s needed.

6. Can UF take advantage? In some ways, they already. What I would hope to see is UF put a really strong recruiter in South Florida. It would be preferable to have someone who has strong ties down there; however that would mean a staff change. If CDM is not willing to do that, then he will just need to keep building relationships in the area.

7. Candy’s predictions for the Canes. I expect UM will climb the ranks a bit with a couple of big names. That said, the damage for this year will be hard to overcome. OL will be a problem in the future and UM will need to pull a UF on the Ol in recruiting next year. I expect them to have OK records in the ACC. Even Cane fans think they may still win their weak division next year. From a perception stand point they need to beat UF next season. CDM and staff need to not just win but crush the Canes.

• Like x 11
    • Informative x 4
    • Agree x 2
    • Fistbump/Thanks! x 2
    • Disagree x 1
    • Off-topic x 1
  2. g8torbrent

g8torbrent Freshman

Jul 8, 2017
    Thorough analysis that takes a lot of factors into consideration. I think you’re spot on.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. tundragator

tundragator Freshman

Oct 26, 2015
    My brother in law is president of alumni boosters at UM. I will ask him to give his thoughts. He will be at game against Wisc, hasn’t missed their bowl games since mid 80s.

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  4. username

username Freshman

Aug 17, 2017
    #7 is a must if we want to take the state back. I was hoping to get UCF in the bowl and sweep fsu UCF & um back2back2back

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  5. pd_gator

pd_gator GC Hall of Fame

Oct 6, 2013
    Florida
    I'll add in almost zero fan support on game day coupled with no on campus stadium and everything else falls into line with your post.

It is amazing how they just can't find a dynamic HC that could utilize all the SFL talent.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Matherly87

Matherly87 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    Really impressive post here Candyman and well thought out. I really appreciate the timing since we are in a holiday low until Jan 6 (Don't tell 2021 recruits that). You cover UF so well and add a few nuggets on our competitors from time to time but this one really illuminated the desperation down in Coral City. I hope to see a State of FSU soon.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. Nostradamus

Nostradamus Junior

Sep 18, 2015
    Excellent work Candy. As always, thanks for your effort and insight to keep the rest of us clued in. :)

• Agree Agree x 3
  8. scooterp

scooterp GC Legend

Feb 15, 2012
    A UF vs UCF matchup in a bowl game would have been the lowest rated of all NY6 bowl games. And done virtually nothing to impact recruiting. On the surface I know it seems appealing but no one outside of Fla would even care.

We may lose against Mich but it would be a truer barometer of where we are as a program than any outcome vs UCF.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  9. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    It seems whenever fans and boosters get restless under a coach, recruiting always goes down the toilet. Miami was recruiting very well going into this season. Last year they started losing and it continued this year. They lost the support and the recruits disappeared..

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. tundragator

tundragator Freshman

Oct 26, 2015
    From President of Alumni Association at UM:

Defense is tremendous. Offense suffers from a HC who wont change and refuses to hire a play-calling OC. The fan base is up in arms. 7-5 with top 3 D and tons of playmakers on offense. The biggest problem is QB where the coach's son is the assistant. And they lead the nation in the number of decommits. The wheels are coming off and something major needs to be done. At least FSU's HC had the humility to hire a new OC (although I wouldnt have picked the one he did).

• Informative Informative x 2
  11. rpmGator

rpmGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 10, 2007
    The cane fan wants killed chances at their needs...

12. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    Wisconsin just shredded that defense

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. fox

fox GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Florida Beachland
    I guess spell check changed tremulous to tremendous.

• Funny Funny x 2
  14. INGATORSWETRUST

INGATORSWETRUST GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Florida
    The Univ of Miami AD just released a strong statement calling the play this season and in the Bowl game “unacceptable”. Hot seat!!

• Like Like x 1
  15. incoldblood

incoldblood All American

Nov 30, 2016
    Miami now the tropical depressions.

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 2
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  16. shane4three

shane4three GC Hall of Fame

Dec 24, 2014
    Vandy and Miami should play. Hoping Vandy comes back but egg they are laying could put them not far behind Miami and Temple.

• Funny Funny x 1
  17. Tito22

Tito22 GC Hall of Fame

May 13, 2007
    I know some Cane fans who have given up on Richt. 2019 might be it for him

18. propagator

propagator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Loud noise in the system

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. your_perfect_enemy