Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Starting QB battle

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by thekentuckygator, Jan 14, 2019.

1. thekentuckygator

thekentuckygator GC Legend

Oct 8, 2018
    Emory Jones was a crown jewel for CDM and slated as the future of Florida football under his system.

What do you think has to happen for Franks to maintain the job? I can’t imagine as great as FF progressions have been that EJ is going to collect dust next year. He is the exact type CDM wants.

The spring battle is going to be interesting.

2. bobbybaker86

bobbybaker86 All American

Sep 4, 2017
    Not really going to be interesting from a competition standpoint. Franks not losing that job unless he gets hurt or goes into a funk he can't get out of.

EJ will get a few series a game

• Agree Agree x 13
    • Winner Winner x 2
  3. DBCooper

DBCooper GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Hendersonville, NC
    The starting job is Franks’ to lose. The battle for Emery is how much playing time he can earn. The Jones boys are the future but IMO, Franks is the now. I’m hoping he continues to progress under good coaching - after all, he’s only had positive guidance for one season. With 4 starting OL gone, a big bodied QB with confidence is a positive. Think we’ll see lots of RPO’s and the QB getting the ball out of his hand quickly early in the season with the TE position making a much larger contribution to the passing game. I look for Pitts and Zipp to have big years.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. 4everaGator

4everaGator GC Hall of Fame

Aug 3, 2010
    Central Florida
    If Franks minimizes mistakes and moves the ball he continues to start and play the vast majority of snaps. But if struggles anything like he did vs Kentucky, GA or Mizzou last year, I think his rope will be much shorter. EJ will have received a greater proportion of reps with the ones leading up to next season and will be ready. It will be an interesting development to follow!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. goneagaingator

goneagaingator GC Hall of Fame

Sep 13, 2012
    Baltimore, Maryland
    It’s pretty much Franks’ job to lose. He still misses open receivers, struggles with accuracy and doesn’t really do anything as a passer that wows, but he wins games. Mullen really did a good job of developing him last Fall, and it’s exciting to think of what kind of progress he’ll make going into next season.

There might be a ceiling on what UF can do with him under center, but he probably starts unless he really struggles early on in the season. He earned it in those last few games.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. eightiesgator

eightiesgator Sophomore

Oct 16, 2017
    It may not be entirely apt, but this provokes a sense of deja vu:

Tim Tebow was a crown jewel for CDM and slated as the future of Florida football under his system.

What do you think has to happen for Leak to maintain the job? I can’t imagine as great as Leak's progressions have been that Tim is going to collect dust next year. He is the exact type CDM wants.

Franks' QB Rating, 2018: 143.3
    Leak's QB Rating, 2005: 136.5

I suspect the same will happen in 2019 as it did in 2006, hopefully with the same final result.

• Like Like x 6
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. Bazza

Bazza GC Hall of Fame

Jan 2, 2009
    New Smyrna Beach
    [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 7
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  8. gatorPUNX

gatorPUNX GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Franks just needs to limit some of the bad turnovers (UGA game is a prime example)

That in itself will keep him the job with his current level of play and will likely be the difference in winning a few more games than they did this year. That could put Florida at 11/12 wins, and in the conversation for more

9. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

I like your analogy but Emory is gonna have to add a lot of weight and muscle before he can truck would-be tacklers like Tebow did. To me they’re different types of quarterbacks.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  10. fox

fox GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Florida Beachland
    This thread should last a few years. I wonder if it will die down if we reach 9-0. Or will it continue until a Jones is 9-0?

• Creative Creative x 1
  11. tegator80

tegator80 GC Hall of Fame

May 29, 2007
    Richmond, VA
    First, Emory has to look like a leader and not just the guy who takes the hike. Second, and this is more about Franks and not Emory, the offense needs to look like it is playing downhill. It rarely does with Franks but there are throws he makes that few college QBs can make and that makes him enticing.

So, if Emory looks the part in the huddle and on the sidelines AND the offense keeps the defense on their heels then he will become the starter before it is over. But if Franks becomes kind of like Alex Smith, a passing QB who can run the spread option effectively, then he will hold onto the job for the remainder of his college career. And if he is that effective that may mean to the end of the 2019 season.

• Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  12. nobbqsauce

nobbqsauce Junior

Nov 21, 2018
    I have no idea but wouldn't be surprised if Jones wins the job. Frank's doesn't make his teads real quickly...with 4 new olinemen quick reads and quick feet may be the deciding factor. The precedent is there with Hurts and the QB at Clemson that got pulled..

13. Claygator

Claygator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    This could be a tricky situation for Mullen to manage. If Franks is the guy, Jones may want to transfer, particularly if Jalon Jones looks good. I sure hope that doesn't happen.

• Informative Informative x 1
  14. The_Graygator

The_Graygator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    QB Battle?

It's a nice problem to have imo.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  15. Agator88

Agator88 All American

Oct 7, 2014
    Franks seemed to turn a corner in the usce game. His decision making improved, and his willingness to run improved drastically. With all that being said its hard to forget the UK UGA, and Mizz games. If guys like Kelly Bryant and Jalen Hurts can be replaced, it's certainly possible Jones could take the job from franks. You can't teach the type of athleticism that Jones has, I know he didn't throw a ton, but his arm talent looks to be just as good as Franks, so his only disadvantage is his experience.

• Like Like x 1
  16. your_perfect_enemy

your_perfect_enemy GC Hall of Fame

Apr 7, 2010
    I get he's the hand-picked guy and all that but doesn't Jones have to at least win the back-up job first? Don't get me wrong, I'm rooting for him (and all Gators) but Franks just led us to a 10 win season and Jones was 3rd string until Trask got hurt.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. DBCooper

DBCooper GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Hendersonville, NC
    Agree GG. Just prior to CDM’s arrival the winner of the QB job played more like a backup than starter. It’s amazing how much difference a good offensive HBC who brings in a competent teacher for his QB’s can make. Like from 4 and 7 to 10 and 3 difference. I also agree with TG80 that Franks moves on with even a slightly better year. That said, the OL may have a greater impact on Franks’ passing stat’s than Franks’ continued improvement. Certainly the running backs and receivers should be able to do their part to allow a QB to look his best. Here’s hoping Hevesy wins OL Coach of the Year if there is such an award.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2019
    • Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    I don't think Mullen needs a "truck-er" type runner to be the QB that he wants. Fast, quick and illusive will do, me thinks.

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  19. DieAGator

DieAGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    You are right Agator. It's easy to think a person will never regress, only get better, mistakes are a thing of the past. And it will look that way our first few games because of the opponent. But then, you know what happens. I know I would not want to be CDM because tough decisions have to be made and he's darned if he does or doesn't.

20. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

I agree - just pushing back against comparisons with Tebow

• Like Like x 3