Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!
  1. Folks, you may notice glitches here and there. We are upgrading our servers shortly, please pardon the dust and hang in there. : ) Thanks for your patience.

Starting Lineup

Discussion in 'Diamond Gators' started by mkmoney, Jan 22, 2019.

1. mkmoney

mkmoney Freshman

Jan 18, 2019
    So from different things I'm reading it looks like this will be the starting lineup.

CF - Fabian
    LF - Langworthy
    RF - Dalton
    1B - Calialao/Pena/B.Smith
    2B - Reese
    3B - Acton/Pena/B. Smith
    SS - McConnell
    C - B. Smith/Greenfield
    DH - Nelly

I'm guessing B. Smith plays mostly catcher. Pena will be mixed in at First and Third, but Calialao and Acton will probably get the first shots to start. I think our defense is going to be a concern with this team. Three freshman plus McConnell means a lot of new faces in the lineup. Obviously there is a lot of talent there, but a lot of question marks too.

What does the batting order look like? Who leads off? Reese? He did have a .375 OBP last year. I hope Reese can make the senior jump we saw from Horvath and Larsen the last two years. Only two lefties (Lang/Acton).

1. Reese (S)
    2. Nelly
    3. Lang (L)
    4. Dalton
    5. B. Smith
    6. Acton (L)
    7. McConnell
    8. Calialao
    9. Fabian

Last edited: Jan 22, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  2. taxman22

taxman22 Premium Member

Jun 1, 2007
    Jacksonville, FL
    Young team, going to take time for sully to work things out....very young team

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. gatorfan5220

gatorfan5220 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I don't know of I've ever seen us with a lineup having so many potentially good hitters.

Hmmm. This could get interesting.

Yes, many are young but the possibilities are definitely there.

• Like Like x 1
  4. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    5220–

Lang, Dalton, and Nelly will both anchor and bring our new guys along—gonna be fun to watch them and our pitchers season into their own—

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. apkgator

apkgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Leadoff to me is the biggest question....I think that gets determined over the next month. I guess Acton, Reese, or McConnell all possible dependent on who swings it well in intersquads

• Agree Agree x 3
  6. gatorjjh

gatorjjh A Gator with a Glass half full attitude Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl
    those are the 3 I would guess right now, IMO it is Acton's if he adjusts before we get to conference play, just from what I saw of him in the fall he seems to have a good mix of power, BB IQ and the ability to hit to all fields, wouldn't make a bad 3 or 5 hole guy

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. MadduxFanII

MadduxFanII GC Hall of Fame

Apr 10, 2007
    Won't happen, but I'd at least start with Langworthy in the lead-off spot. Love launching a lineup with a .400+ OBP guy. If he puts up the power I expect him to, you can move him to 3rd or clean-up soon enough.

8. Matherly87

Matherly87 VIP Member

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    MK I think you are pretty much on the money. :D
    My batting order would probably go with Lang, Reese, Nelly and Dalton to start it off. I bottom five will be a hat pick. I hope either Acton, Calialao, or Fabio do well enough to move up to the 5th spot. I don't think we will see Brady Smith at 3rd base any.
    Side note - don't forget Reese got off to a great start for the first month last year and was batting like .330 with the 2nd best on base percentage. Once conference play started he kept slowing dropping.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. gatorfan5220

gatorfan5220 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    We're in trouble now. I'm willing to bet Fabio has never even picked up a baseball bat!

10. Matherly87

Matherly87 VIP Member

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    Just trying to be funny. Most of my friends here in Ocala have been calling his Granddad Jeff, Fabs (pronounced Fabes) for years. So I thought Fabio would be fun to change it up for his freshman year.

• Like Like x 2
  11. gatorbogey

gatorbogey GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    s. e. florida
    Needs to do his hair like Fabio. Maybe land a shampoo commercial in the off season. But we’ve seen in Omaha (with LSU’s Robertson), hair draws the attention of the tv cameras!

• Like Like x 1