Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Starbucks plans to install needle-disposal boxes in some bathrooms

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by flgator2, Jan 11, 2019.

1. homer

homer GC Legend

Nov 2, 2015
    I hope medical marijuana can take place of the nasty prescribed opiates and maybe stop some of these overdoses?

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  2. fastsix

fastsix Premium Member

Apr 11, 2007
    Seattle
    But the border wall is the emergency for some reason.

Americans more likely to die from opioid overdose than in a car accident

For the first time on record, Americans are more likely to die of an accidental opioid overdose than in a motor vehicle crash, according to a new report from the National Safety Council.

The group calculates that the chance of dying from an opioid overdose has increased to 1 in 96, surpassing the odds of dying in a car accident, at 1 in 103. It's also greater than the odds of dying from a fall, a gun assault, pedestrian accident, or drowning.

"The opioid crisis remains an abstract issue for many people; they still believe it will not happen to them, or it isn't a risk facing them or their family," Maureen Vogel, spokeswoman for the National Safety Council, told CBS News. "These numbers show the gravity of the problem our country is facing. We need to reprioritize and regroup, because all these deaths are preventable."

Each day more than 130 Americans die after overdosing on opioids, according to the National Institute on Drug Abuse. Last week, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention released a report finding the number of drug overdose deaths among middle-aged women skyrocketedbetween 1999 and 2017, with opioids, including fentanyl and heroin, being the main driver. Deaths from prescription and illicit opioids in children and teens also tripled over the same time period, according to a recent study published in JAMA Network Open.

3. OklahomaGator

OklahomaGator Jedi Administrator Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Miami, OK
    I see needle disposal boxes in a lot of restrooms, don't see what the big deal is.

4. homer

homer GC Legend

Nov 2, 2015
    If you ever had a family memeber or close friend with a serious drug problem ruin their life or almost die like my daughter did, you’d probably have a different opinion.

Then again?

5. GatorNavy

GatorNavy Damn the torpedoes! Moderator VIP Member

Apr 9, 2007
    Space Coast
    I really don't see a problem with this policy. It's their store.

6. WESGATORS

WESGATORS Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I like the Libertarian idea of encouraging responsible usage rather than an outright ban. Maybe they can install firearm lockers for people to check their weapons rather than merely telling them that they are not allowed in with them.

Go GATORS!
    ,WESGATORS

7. BLING

BLING GC Hall of Fame

Apr 16, 2007
    Different opinion of what? Whether Starbucks should install these used needle disposal bins? You think people should have different "opinions" on this?

You take this as Starbucks endorsing drug use or something crazy? They are just dealing with reality, some areas have more of a problem with drugs/junkies than others. Starbucks is attempting to protect it's employees from getting stuck with used needles. Which would be far more likely if they were on the ground or in the regular waste basket. I think it's as simple as that. I doubt this will be necessary in most of their locations anyway, just ones where there is an existing problem.

8. homer

homer GC Legend

Nov 2, 2015
    Sorry Bling.

What I posted didn’t come out right.

I was referencing just the fact that the needle boxes are there. Not that they have them because it’s better.

I’m gun shy.

My daughter almost died from a drug overdose and still today, at age 41, is fighting the devil.

9. OklahomaGator

OklahomaGator Jedi Administrator Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Miami, OK
    I was talking about putting the needle boxes in Starbucks. They are there to prevent people from getting hurt accidentally, not to encourage drug use.