Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!
  1. ATTENTION VIP MEMBERS: Your favorite full color wall calendar with Gator sports schedules is on the way to you in the mail! Expect it in a week or two at most. Questions? Ask here.

Stand your ground strikes again

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by oragator1, Jul 21, 2018.

1. demosthenes

demosthenes Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    It’s entirely possible that justice will not be served. My only consolation is that jackhole will have to pay $80k in legal defense if it goes to trial so maybe other trigger happy gun-toting citizens will think a little more before nonsensically taking another’s life.

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. 96Gatorcise

96Gatorcise GC Hall of Fame

Aug 6, 2008
    Tampa
    The guy doesn't come across as having the money to hire top notch legal talent. So more likely the taxpayer will be paying his defense through the public defender's office.

3. Bazza

Bazza GC Hall of Fame

Jan 2, 2009
    New Smyrna Beach
    Your comment is based a bit on speculation - the word "nonsensically" in particular. Point being - you don't know what was going through the victim's mind, when he decided to shoot his attacker.

Be that as it may....let's go further outward in the spirit of your words.

Maybe other citizens will think a little more before
    1) parking illegally in handicapped parking
    2) not moving their car, if approached by someone who appears to be agitated
    3) laying their hands on another person

I'm an equal opportunity person.....plenty of opportunity for learning here....

Last edited: Aug 13, 2018
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  4. 96Gatorcise

Aug 6, 2008
    Tampa

• Informative Informative x 2
  5. 96Gatorcise

Aug 6, 2008
    Tampa
    Better yet maybe people will just mind their own damn business.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  6. Bazza

Bazza GC Hall of Fame

Jan 2, 2009
    New Smyrna Beach
    Yes - but we all know that won't happen...and none of the others things I listed will either......

7. g8trjax

g8trjax GC Hall of Fame

Jun 1, 2007
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. orangeblue_coop

orangeblue_coop GC Hall of Fame

Nov 19, 2016
    4) Running around playing parking patrol with a pistol in their waist and ready to agitate citizens, then play victim when someone finally takes the bait.

• Winner Winner x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  9. WarDamnGator

WarDamnGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Good. Let’s let a jury decide.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. 96Gatorcise

Aug 6, 2008
    Tampa
    Shooter in fatal Florida 'Stand Your Ground' case arrested for manslaughter

So the victim was 12 feet away and turning away when shot.

If this guy is acquitted, the prosecutor is incompetent. And an all white NRA jury was seated.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  11. orangeblue_coop

Nov 19, 2016
    Prosecutors should track down the previous customers who were accosted, berated and threatened by that wannabe parking patrol murderer in the past, and also get the store owner to testify.

12. WarDamnGator

WarDamnGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Sadly, it just takes one white NRA guy to tank the trial into a mistrial, and defense attorneys are pretty good at finding one.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. Bazza

Bazza GC Hall of Fame

Jan 2, 2009
    New Smyrna Beach
    [​IMG]

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  14. rivergator

rivergator Too Hot Mod Moderator VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Maybe people more people will move their car when someone they don't know tells them to ... is that something you'd do?

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  15. gatorpika

gatorpika Premium Member

Sep 14, 2008
    I was in a similar situation once years ago when I parked behind a couple other cars to pick up my mail. Some dude approached me and was irate about me parking there because I was temporarily blocking some parking spots. There were plenty around though, so he didn't have a point. Anyway, he was threatening to beat my ass and stuff, which was funny if you actually saw his fat ass. He seemed half crazy and was flexing and stuff. But I decided to move my car since good things rarely come out of violent confrontations. It wasn't worth it. I suspect all the other people this guy supposedly approached in the past did the same and only the shooting victim decided to try a different course of action.

I really don't get the logic of all the people in here saying he was just standing up for his girlfriend and they would have done the same or whatever, because this kind of shit happens all the time. Even if the guy wasn't armed, if you get knocked down and hit your head on the concrete, you could die. It really doesn't matter whether this guy goes to jail or not from the victim's perspective because he is dead. Some of y'all should think about that if you ever are unfortunate enough to be in the same situation.

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. gatornana

gatornana Administrator Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Or maybe citizens shouldn't use their cell phone in a movie theater before the movie starts.....when does this list end, Bazza? With a man like Drejka walking around in public thinking he has some sort of authority and a gun to back it up, the public is in danger from this man. Anything could trigger his anger and frustration.....anything:

Since 2012, according to records and interviews, 47-year-old Michael Drejka has been the accused aggressor in four incidents. Investigators documented three cases in police reports.

The other was not shared with authorities at the time but involved the same handicap-reserved parking spot outside the Circle A Food Store near Clearwater and another shooting threat.

Two involved allegations of Drejka showing a gun. In another, a trooper accused him of aggressive driving and cited him after a crash when Drejka braked hard in front of a woman driving with two children.

The police reports describe a man quick to anger, but who always denied he threatened anyone with a gun. Former prosecutors said the earlier cases could possibly be used if Drejka is brought to trial, as evidence that he pulled out his weapon because he was frustrated, not afraid. Twice investigators admonished Drejka, telling him he was fortunate the alleged victims of his road rage did not want to press charges.

If they had, an officer once said, authorities could have revoked his concealed carry permit.

Records show road rage, gun threats in stand your ground shooter’s past

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
  17. Bazza

Bazza GC Hall of Fame

Jan 2, 2009
    New Smyrna Beach
    There probably is an end to the list, Nana.....but I only touched on what I felt should have been included in the conversation started by the previous post from demostenes.

In my post - I never said any of the listed items were the reason the guy was killed.

I never said any of the items were of higher or lower value.

To me, they are all important and go to the larger conversation of how we should act in a civilised society.

You and everyone else are free to add their takes.

I choose to look at the big picture - the picture that encompasses much more than what I feel are smaller narratives.

Until we as a society step back and accept that ALL uncivilsed behaviour is unacceptable...we will continue to see acts of violence with subsequent injury and/or death.

I appreciate the emotion and passion everyone has. I try to look at the bigger picture in more of an analytical way.

And I agree.....it's not polite to use a cell phone in a theater. Not because you might get shot - but because it's uncivilsed, rude, and thoughtless.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  18. Bazza

Bazza GC Hall of Fame

Jan 2, 2009
    New Smyrna Beach
    Yes, I would. In my case, it would be because I always go out of my way to be helpful to others. If someone pointed out to me I was in a handicapped parking spot, I would struggle to get my vehicle moved as quickly as I would like. My parents raised me to respect others and that's the legacy they left behind, fortunately for me and others I interact with.
    I realize I'm lucky that way and others may not have had parents like I had - and role models. I try to allow for those individuals. You have to allow for them. It's part of being a generous person.

I also feel every situation is different and in general people should mind their own business more. But unfortunately law enforcement can only do so much and the media doesn't help which leaves us with these huge voids of people just not knowing what to do in certain situations where they feel compelled and frustrated that they have a civic duty to do something.

I mean....take away the emotion and that's what we are looking at here.

19. orangeblue_coop

Nov 19, 2016
    The murderer was a habitual troublemaker roaming around looking for trouble and when he finally found it he eagerly drew his weapon and fired. Probably smiled to himself before firing.

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. GCNumber7

GCNumber7 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    I’m glad this POS is at least getting arrested and I hope he rots in jail. But based on the victim blaming on this thread I don’t have much hope for the jury.

• Like x 1
    • Agree x 1
    • Winner x 1
    • Optimistic x 1
    • Come On Man x 1