Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

(SB) Stadium Update

Discussion in 'Diamond Gators' started by gatorjjh, Aug 28, 2018.

1. OklahomaGator

OklahomaGator Jedi Administrator Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Miami, OK
    I can tell you from Oklahoma how it will impact traffic on Archer Road. Everybody that use to come down Gale Lemerand Dr. and turned left will now use SW 23rd and then turn left on Archer. Those who use to turn right on Archer off of Gale Lemerand Dr. will probably take Hull Rd. and take a left on 34th street and then turn right on Archer. There, now start digging.

2. gatorbogey

gatorbogey Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    s. e. florida
    I think there is consideration to get another access point off Archer....directly to the baseball stadium.

I had mentioned it as an idea at a focus group for the new stadium...and Scott Stricklin did say they were looking at that.

I had mentioned they could transform that edge of archer, and make the whole baseball complex, and archer road frontage a new “town center” - bring 24/7 life to that part of campus with restaurants, shopping, student housing, classrooms (doak Campbell facade it) etc, etc....(bring a bit of Camden Yards to the New Mac). [Not sure SS and UF share that vision, though....]

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. jlight

jlight VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Every day they delay getting started on the new baseball stadium is another delay for completing the new football complex. Complete the traffic study, make the decisions and start digging!

• Funny Funny x 1
  4. apkgator

apkgator Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    The football complex can't start until baseball season ends, at best. The only delay would be a full year if they didn't think they could have baseball ready for the 2020 season.....that would be extreme, but I did think things would be moving by now.

• Agree Agree x 3
  5. jlight

jlight VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    They can start construction on the new stadium right now and it will take a while to build. Starting construction later, because of studies or other delays, just puts more pressure on the construction timeline on the back end of the stadium project (before the 2020 season) and the start of the new football facility.

6. apkgator

apkgator Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Thats my point

7. gatorbogey

Apr 3, 2007
    s. e. florida
    May be out of the hands of the UAA/UF: site plan approval, & impacts to Archer will require permits from the county, city and FDOT. Have to get their approvals.

Now, to me, I could see them getting some partial approvals to commence some site work. Demolition and site prep, especially.

• Agree Agree x 3
  8. johnny_cakes

johnny_cakes All American

Apr 2, 2017
    KSP Stadium
    Except UF doesn't own the frontage along Archer Road. There are privately owned apartment buildings there. They could create an entrance to the parking lot via IFAS Research Drive (between the two apartment buildings) which they UF does own and that seems the most likely because they could make it one-way in before the game and one-way out after the game. But with traffic heading to Archer from 23rd, 34th, and Natural Area Drive, another entrance might just be moving the jam point. Every funnel has a narrow end.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. gatorbogey

Apr 3, 2007
    s. e. florida
    I didn’t check the property appraisers site to check ownership. But I thought one or two parcels were IFAS along Archer - which is UF.

If I were in charge of site planing: I’d definitely try to connect the end of museum with archer...sweeping around the new stadium to the UF owned property in order to outlet onto Archer.

Maybe make the hull/ museum road a big roundabout intersection too!

I’d also add lanes to hull road going west and mowry to get folks out to Archer (to the signal). And widen hull to 34th street.

You Are going to have bottlenecks, but it helps to get traffic flowing out in 4 directions, so it makes sense to add one going south, which is the shortest link to archer. It would likely be a right in, right out connector....but they may be looking at a *full* intersection: at least, for after the games traffic dispersal....and get a warrant for a signal - again for game day use/traffic.

• Creative Creative x 1
  10. johnny_cakes

Apr 2, 2017
    KSP Stadium
    You are correct but I don't think there's not enough frontage to create a "town center." Certainly enough to create an entrance to the parking lot via IFAS Research Drive (between the two apartment buildings) so that's good and your suggestion for more access to Archer road makes perfect sense.

I hope that this lot will be "any decal" or visitor meters on non-game days. UF needs more of those.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. gatorjjh

gatorjjh A Gator with a Glass half full attitude Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl
    drove by today after VB, the progress is noticeable

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. gatorbogey

Apr 3, 2007
    s. e. florida
    The mixed of uses of the *town center* would be around the field. Once you get about 100-150’ from Archer, there’s a lot of land to play with...

13. johnny_cakes

Apr 2, 2017
    KSP Stadium
    True, although with UF land at a premium I kinda doubt they will want to go commercial with that tract. The push to climb up the US News ranking of public colleges requires new/better facilities. They are razing a beautiful woods along Museum Road just to put in a frat house. As UF keeps getting bigger they will need land for UF buildings, including dorms, classrooms, etc. UF is even pushing east across 13th Street, causing the demise of Leonardo's. I just don't see on campus commercial development in the cards.

Unfortunately, the tipping point seemed to be a couple of years ago, when UF Gainesville turned from small college town with mom/pop businesses to corporate town. Social and The Standard are examples of this trend happening right on University. GNV and Midtown survived the Oaks Mall in 1978, but now that's a dying mall as national retailers are moving into sprawling developments near Archer Road. Sad, but I think the mom/pop days are dwindling, although some will hang on.

I guess I'm just an old fart who likes the good ol' days. Sorry for the rant!

• Like Like x 1
  14. gatorbogey

Apr 3, 2007
    s. e. florida
    With land at a premium, You are making the argument to make this complex into a 24/7 living place. Town centers aren’t strictly commercial, at least in my new urbanism definition, but a ‘walkable’ community with a combination of vertically and horizontally mix of uses. I think, having archer ‘right there’ that some commercial would be viable and it would serve the residential and student component- and the gameday sports/recreation component, too - there in the “town center.” Basically: live, work, eat, play, study, shop “right there” in one place. To me, I’d integrate into the ballpark more student residential uses or classroom uses....make that whole complex alive 24/7/365.

15. wingtee

wingtee GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    Latitude Margaritaville
    It’s a new millineal world we live . Gotta adjust or your kids will be asking to live with you for another 10 years.

• Funny Funny x 1
  16. wingtee

wingtee GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    Latitude Margaritaville
    Like that

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. BurkeGator

BurkeGator Freshman

Aug 28, 2015
    Back to the SB Stadium discussion (which probably impacts the future baseball stadium plans), I noticed today the just released 2019 KSP seating chart listed on the Floridagators.com softball page is rather different than the renovation renderings posted on the site. For instance, the right field line berm remains with no seating beyond the visitors dugout and apparently no outfield chair backs seats as depicted in the renderings. Also of note, the listed project cost has gone from $11M to $14M. I imagine rising construction costs have taken a bite out of what was originally planned for the KSP renovations. Could a Baseball stadium plan down scale be next?

Last edited: Oct 23, 2018
  18. johnny_cakes

Apr 2, 2017
    KSP Stadium
    From looking at that rendering, apparently Walton's secret plan that every starting pitcher is going to pitch the whole game has been exposed. There is no home team bullpen!

• Funny Funny x 1