Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Spring Practice 2020

Discussion in 'Diamond Gators' started by Matherly87, Jan 24, 2020.

1. Matherly87

Matherly87 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    I'll do my best to give you plenty to consider and hope a few others can fill in the gaps. I will break it up in several different posts so I can send more though as I can.
    First the team breakdowns.....
    The Orange squad was mainly the starters in the field and Mace on the mound. The Blue was the 2nd string with Leftwich on the mound. For the Orange squad batting order...
    1 - Young - RF
    2 - Fabian - CF
    3 - Langworthy - LF
    4 - Calilao - 1st
    5 - Hickey - C
    6 - Rivera - SS
    7 - Acton - 2nd
    8 - Smith - 3rd
    DH was none

For the Blue squad batting order...
    1 - K McMullen - 3rd
    2 - Armstrong - 1st
    3 - Greenfield - C
    4 - Blasucci - SS
    5 - Nunez - 2nd
    6 - Talbot - LF
    7 - Roberts - DH
    8 - Edge - RF
    9 - Brinling - C

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. Matherly87

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    Pitchers for the 9 nine innings
    Orange started with Mace for 2 innings, then Barco for 2, then Mink came out and walked off with an injury (inning stopped) I think it was his second inning, then Nesbitt for 1, Sproat for 1, and finished with Martin for 1
    Blue started with Leftwich for 2 innings, then Butler next I have him in for 3 innings, Van Der Weide for 2, and finished with Alintoff for 2.

Mace was the most impressive starting for the Orange, gave up 1 hit, got 3 strike outs and only faced the minimum 6. Blasucci got a single but was picked off. Mace was hitting 91-92 consistently and had good command of his fast ball and breaking ball. I saw him hit 93 mph on one pitch.
    Leftwich starting for the Blue and facing the starters had to face 10 batters over 2 innings but did not give up a run. Gave up 4 hits, 1 walk and got no strike outs. Leftwich was hitting 93 consistently and topped out at 94 mph.
    Barco went 2 innings faced 9 gave up 1 run, 2 hits and a walk, no strike outs.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Matherly87

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    Here's the batters at bats
    For the Orange
    Young - Single, Single, Fly Out, Sac Fly
    Fabian - Ground Out, GO, Strike Out, FO
    Langworthy - Walk, W, GO, Single
    Calilao - FO, FO, FO, FO
    Hickey - Line Out, SO, GO, HR (batted out of turn in the 6th)
    Rivera - Single, Pop Out, Error, FO
    Acton - Single, GO, TRIPLE, W
    Smith - Pop Out, W, Double, SO

For the Blue - Note Sully only went through the order once and then went to a 6 man batting rotation
    McMullen - FO, FO, HR, HR, W, W (MVP - both HRs were over the left field bleachers)
    Armstrong - FO, GO, GO, SO, GO, SO
    Greenfield - SO, Single, SO, GO, W
    Blasucci - Single, GO, HR, W, Single
    Nunez - SO, FO, W, SO
    Talbot - SO
    Roberts - GO
    Edge - Single
    Brinling - Walk
    Butler was added later and joined the 6 man batting order jumping around in the order and went Sac GO, FO, Line Out, GO, SO
    Powell - Line Out

• Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  4. Matherly87

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    Defensive play of the day went to Rivera. In the 3rd inning with 2 on and 2 outs he got a ground ball to his right deep in the hole, controlled his feet and still reached out to get it, then threw out the runner (Armstrong) at first with a great throw and prevent 1 or 2 runs from scoring.
    Offensively it was all about the Kirby. He picked right up where he left off in the fall and impressed everyone with his swings making good contact. Both home runs were no doubters out over the bleachers. His first was off of 33 and the second HR off of 10. Hickey hit his HR off of 39 and Blasucci hit his off of 10.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2020
    • Informative Informative x 3
  5. gatorjjh

gatorjjh A Gator with a Glass half full attitude Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl
    @Matherly87
    Excellent run down, you are in mid-season form on day 1, Thanks
    Just some jotting made before I went to the Gymnastic meets to see the Gators beat LSU, 198.375 to 197.775 (High Scores for both teams)
    Brinling played CF for Blue, made a couple of nice plays
    Rivera had a gem, diving stop of a hot shot off Kris Armstong's bat, got up and made a strong & accurate throw to get him at first

Cal threw out 2 would be stealers, Jacob Young (fastest guy on the team per the guys) and Lang.

Kirby's 2 Ballentine Blasts would have been Mel Allen worthy

The scouts thinned out after Mace, Left & Barco pitched, probably 10 altogether

The time for Saturday scrimmage has been moved to 5 pm and shortened to 4 innings (I was told because the guys are tossing T-Shirts during the MBK game v Baylor Saturday, can't verify the reason but the time change came from a player's family)

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  6. gatorfan5220

gatorfan5220 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Much, much appreciated!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    Coming outta the gate strong we have @Matherly87 and @gatorjjh!

Nice run down guys—1 question—87 I see where you have Butler on the bump for maybe 3 innings then no critique for how he did—any information there?

Looks like McMullen, Acton, and Blasucci came out with confidence in their swings at the plate. Nice to see Rivera flashing the leather and showing off the arm too.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Matherly87

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    I went back over my notes not thinking he actually went 3 but that's what I have. He followed Mace so it looked like he was struggling with accuracy but in review in 3 innings he only faced 10 batters, no hits, 2 strike outs, 2 walks, Langworthy was caught stealing and no runs. Butler's stats say very strong but it seemed to me he had a bunch of pitches for 10 batters. Wish I had GatorGal tracking pitches for us.
    I still don't think the SS position is settled. Blasucci did mishandle a grounder as he reached to his left. I scored it an error but many college scorers might have called it a hit. Either way it went off his glove and always an error in the big leagues. BUT his hitting always seems to elevate when challenged. Let's give it 2 weeks and see how he compares with Rivera then.
    However things shake out I will not be happy if Kirby isn't the DH for the majority of our games and @gatorjjh will get an ear full.

• Like Like x 3
  9. Matherly87

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    Another important note about Hickey's homer. DING! He cleared the center field wall, maybe 10 feet right of the 400 sign as it hit the black screen. We fans of the first base dugout, those that could not be lured away by a gymnastics meet, were very impressed to see another freshmen hit one straight out at Perry Field. It reminder me of the homer Rivera hit back in the fall.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  10. Matherly87

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    Note about the freshman pitcher Mink. When he came back out in the 7th he had pitched to one batter that got on from an error at SS. He then had started pitching to Acton and then suddenly walked off the mound. I didn't have eyes on it and heard someone say oh no. I looked up and Sully was half way out and motioned everyone rotate to the next inning. As the players started running in to change sides a loud glove mash could be heard from the dugout. It certainly didn't look normal and my guess we should have much concern about Mink until we know more. Maybe someone connected can elaborate more.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  11. Matherly87

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    If anyone is wondering the 2nd string Blue squad came out on top 5-4 with Kirby getting 3 RBIs.
    ATTA BOY Kirby.
    [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    87—

Thanks for the second rundown for sure. Guess I was curious if Butler could start sharp with his arm fresh but he seems to have maintained his normal performance—it’s not really pretty but he seems to survive.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    87—

Was Mink nursing a sore arm or possibly any injury y’all are aware of?

With him coming off the mound that suddenly, I hate to say it but sounds like a blown elbow leading to TJ surgery. When that blows out it’s just a totally different feeling/sensation.

Let’s hope not and it’s something he can work through.

14. gatorjjh

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl
    I was first row behind the dugout and he was visably upset and perhaps with tears in his eyes, it got pretty quiet, I'll see what I can find out but it did not look good

Last edited: Jan 25, 2020
    • Informative Informative x 2
  15. apkgator

apkgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Sure sounds like the staff, other than Mace had the same issues we saw last year and this fall. Keep telling myself at some point they are going to grow up

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. gatorjjh

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl

• Like Like x 1
  17. gatorjjh

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl

• Like Like x 1
  18. gatorjjh

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl

• Like Like x 4
  19. gatorbogey

gatorbogey Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    s. e. florida
    Caught a couple of innings on Saturday.
    Luethje on the mound for orange, Pogue on the mound for blue.
    Specht also pitched for orange. I think it was Scott who came in for blue - who orange got hits and a couple runs off of.

Blue had some early solid hits.
    In the 3rd, orange strung some hits together along with a walk to score 2.

First 2 innings, blue’s rally was snuffed by inning ending double plays, each were 4-6-3’s.

I think the positions were the same as Friday’s.

Good hits by McMullen for blue and Blasucci.

One of the lefty batters for Orange (Hickey at C?) had a great shot down the RF line that blue’s Armstrong at1st made a “Brooks Robinson type” dive & stop. Major league.

also, orange’s J Young got to a shot by Blasucci in RF that was held to a single and prevented a runner from 2nd from scoring. Major league.

Great communication from the players directing the outfielders throws too. Catchers are running the show, well.

notes on practice: jeroloman and Lars are very active in coaching. Lars is instructing a lot on hitting, hitting approach (situation) and baserunning instructions.

jeroloman threw bp and was commenting on form, along with Lars and Sully from behind the bp cage.

jeroloman had the team split, they set up an infilled in CF to practice 1st/3rd situations with different catchers, infielders and especially pitchers.

Gonna be interesting to see jeroloman influence on the team. Plus having den decker and Fontana.

acton seems more vocal.

Fabian looks better at the plate.

Rivera appears better in the field at SS but Blasucci can hit!

felt like fielding is already mid season form...

catching seemed pretty much much (100%) better, ready. Cal looks ready to be a starter. Hickey could win the job, too.

It seemed to me, watching some of the BP: if my memory is valid, some players are more compact. Notably acton and greenfield. Maybe they were trying something new. Or practicing 2-strike swings during rotations? Do they do that during BP? Seemed they each had 3 rotations. Then one last time to “swing away”.

Its gonna be all about pitching. If the pitchers can limit walks and freebies, scatter grounders and pop ups...& limit opponents to getting good barrel on the pitches: we have the fielders to hold the opposition. I think we should hit reasonably well. Lots of options available for Sully, that’s for sure.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  20. Matherly87

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    Great job Bogey. Thanks for being there. If we all chip in a little then we will all know much more.
    I agree with you that McMullen and Blasucci are going to be hard to keep out of the line ups.
    Your comments on the catchers was different than what we saw on Friday. We had a few passed balls, troubles with a few wild pitches and more than a few dropped pitches. Granted these issues were fewer than last year but we were reminded of last year more than once. The coaches called out Hickey a few times for his reactions on the field. I'm glad to hear they had a better day.
    Very happy to know we turned 2 double plays. I can't remember very often turning 2 in one game last year.

• Like Like x 3