Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Speaking of hate groups ...

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by rivergator, Feb 20, 2019.

1. duchen

duchen VIP Member

Nov 25, 2017
    The utter willingness of the fringe right to believe fake news because they see a gif. A flat lie. Didn’t happen.

• Winner Winner x 1
  2. duchen

duchen VIP Member

Nov 25, 2017
  3. MaceoP

MaceoP GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Ignorance on your part.

4. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Guardian of the GC Galaxy Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    There was nothing about the Clinton Gore campaign to justify this silliness.

Occam's Razor points to the sources of these claims which appear universally to be white racist organizations as far as I can find via Google.

• Winner Winner x 1
  5. rivergator

rivergator Too Hot Mod Moderator VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Come on. The claim was made that the Democrats were waving those flags at rallies. What actually turns out to be true is that 23 years after the election, just as conservatives were justifying flying the Confederate flag, the pin showed up.
    There's nothing about the flag, as Hyperwave claimed.
    Maybe the pin was part of the '92 campaign, maybe it wasn't. Maybe some supporter made them without the campaign's knowledge in 1992, maybe some opponent made them in 2015.
    Seems there's absolutely no conclusive evidence either way.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. VAg8r1

VAg8r1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Following up on my post comparing the Southern Democrats of the pre-Civil Rights period with today's Republican Party, the Republicans voted for the Voting Rights of Act of 1965 in the House by a 111-20 margin and by a 30-1 margin in the Senate. Anyone think that there be similar results to enact legislation protecting minority voting rights today? Similar legislation mandating federal review of state voting systems today would almost certainly go down to defeat in the Republican majority Senate and would probably receive very few Republican votes in the House.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. MaceoP

MaceoP GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Many people died on both sides during the civil war. I understand that when the war ended, an effort was made to allow both sides to have their 'dignity' and allow the country to heal - hence statues and the like. (although no such olive branch in the south was given to former slaves).

I don't have a problem with statues per se if they are in an historical setting, like a museum. I also believe if confederate statues are going to be removed, they should be done in an orderly fashion by the proper authorities, and not torn down.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. GatorRade

GatorRade Rad Scientist Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Silliness.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. hyperwave

hyperwave Sophomore

Feb 19, 2019
    I think Smopes says "unproven."
    Hillary refused to deny campaign used buttons:)
    I remember Hillary being asked about the flag or flag button and she refused to answer if it was used during Bill's presidential campaign. Snopes says "unproven." Not important really, although I think I think I read that Bill Clinton honored the Confederate flag when he was governor of Arkansas.

I guess we all agree that Morris Dees defended a white supremacist and was paid by the KKK?

10. rivergator

Apr 8, 2007
    so we've gone from you claiming that the Democrats waved the Confederate flag during rallies to maybe there was button and maybe there wasn't.

• Winner Winner x 1
  11. VAg8r1

VAg8r1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    You may want to read this:
    The Clinton-Confederate Flag Conspiracy Theory Is a New Low

• Informative Informative x 1
  12. hyperwave

hyperwave Sophomore

Feb 19, 2019
    Leftist Alexander Cockburn in the leftist magazine The Nation called Morris Dees the "archsalesman of hate."

13. VAg8r1

VAg8r1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    In context, Cockburn was criticizing Dees for using hate groups and incidents to raise money for the SPLC. He didn't criticize Dees for promoting hate but rather for exploiting it. I don't agree with Cockburn, but even if one does there is a difference between using the hate groups to raise money and promoting hate. Using an analogy, suggesting that Dees promotes hate would be a like suggesting that Save the Children promotes poverty among children in Third World countries.

This an excerpt from Cockburn's article:
    King of the Hate Business

Cockburn is a fringe leftist who despises mainstream liberals like Dees almost as much as he despises the right.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2019
    • Winner Winner x 3
  14. hyperwave

hyperwave Sophomore

Feb 19, 2019
    I remember the Clinton-Gore flags and I guess the flag buttons existed too if Hillary wouldn't deny it.

Do you agree that Antifa should be on the list of hate groups but they're not for "ideological reasons," as the SPLC CEO admitted?

15. VAg8r1

VAg8r1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Maybe this will answer your question, goes to the definition of hate group:
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...r-judging-hate-fairly/?utm_term=.851cc888b210

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. hyperwave

hyperwave Sophomore

Feb 19, 2019
    The SPLC plays good cop to Antifa's bad cop. Adding mainstream law-abiding conservative groups to a hate list that includes legit haters isn't cooll and makes them a target of violent anarchist Antifa. Didn't Antifa overwhelm 500 cops in Berkeley? Not on the list for "ideological reasons." SPLC knows what they're doing.

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  17. rivergator

Apr 8, 2007
    If those flags were really waved at Democratic rallies, there would be plenty of documentation today. Can you produce any?

• Winner Winner x 4
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  18. rivergator

Apr 8, 2007
    that's an excellent analogy.

• Winner Winner x 1
  19. gator_lawyer

gator_lawyer Premium Member

Oct 30, 2017
    The vast majority of the statues weren't built immediately following the war. They were built well after the war to promote white supremacy and a warped sense of Southern "pride" in the Confederacy (and their beliefs). The United Daughters of the Confederacy even went on a crusade to replace history books with their own preferred books that painted the Confederacy in a positive light and promoted white supremacy. They did that with great success due to their political power.
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/post...e-wrong/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.dbccd331c5d7
    The Civil War Never Stopped Being Fought in America’s Classrooms. Here’s Why That Matters

• Winner Winner x 1
  20. mutz87

mutz87 Complexified VIP Member

Aug 30, 2014
    I don't see anything else that better explains the inability and often unwillingness of still too large a swath of white America to reconsider the revisionist history of the lost cause.

How else to argue against institutionalized and systemic racism without first denying that either even exists and that the lost cause was righteous?

What else explains a war started in order to maintain a system of white supremacy and oppressive and destructive enslavement?

Even today, a 154 years later, it might be asking too much of people to completely reconsider what they know because they have so deeply bought into this revisionist history.

• Like Like x 1
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1