Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Speaking of hate groups ...

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by rivergator, Feb 20, 2019.

1. rivergator

rivergator Too Hot Mod Moderator VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Southern Poverty Law Center says we've got a record number. I'm sure that someone could/will question the inclusion of this group or that.

Over 1,000 Hate Groups Are Now Active in United States, Civil Rights Group Says

Hate Map

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. gatorpika

gatorpika Premium Member

Sep 14, 2008
    It's not really surprising in this climate. If they expanded their scope to include political violence instead of just stated hate against some other group, that number might be much bigger. A lot of people are going over the edge over politics.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. orangeblue_coop

orangeblue_coop GC Legend

Nov 19, 2016
    The right isn't worried about this kind of rising domestic terrorism, only the kind that could potentially come from outside the border.

• Disagree Disagree x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
  5. g8trjax

g8trjax GC Hall of Fame

Jun 1, 2007
    If you want to see some mainstream hate, just turn on CNN or MSNBC.

• Winner Winner x 5
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. VAg8r1

VAg8r1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Neither holds a candle to the talking heads of Fox News or clowns like Rush Limbaugh or Ann Coulter.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 3
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  7. hyperwave

hyperwave Sophomore

Feb 19, 2019
    One of the best financed and most powerful hate groups in America is the SPLC.

• Come On Man Come On Man x 2
  8. rivergator

Apr 8, 2007
    who do they hate?

9. VAg8r1

VAg8r1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    So absurd, I don't whether to rate this "funny" or "Come On Man". I guess the SPLC is a hate group if one loves organizations like the Klan or the various neo-Nazi organizations. Interestingly, the SPLC also includes the Nation of Islam (accurately, by the way) as a hate group so their list isn't limited to white supremacist organizations or other potentially violent extremists on the right.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  10. RealGatorFan

RealGatorFan Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Yet, none of them come close to the liberal slime called Samantha Bee and Bill Mahr.

11. VAg8r1

VAg8r1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Do you ever actually watch Bill Mahr? He frequently targets left of center organizations that are obsessed with political correctness. Mahr himself has been targeted on college campuses because he has criticized intolerant Islamist organizations.

This is from a left-wing organization.
    Stop Bill Maher from speaking at UC Berkeley's December graduation
    They cited this as an example of hate speech by Mahr:
    "You have to understand, you have to embrace the values of Western civilization. They're not just different, they are better."

Last edited: Feb 21, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 2
  12. RealGatorFan

Apr 3, 2007
    And I also challenged the SPLC to provide details to how they classify what is a hate group. There are 17 black and Hispanic groups in central Alabama that aren't on their list. They say they monitor them but I disagree because they are so fixated on the white supremacists. I'll bet you $1,000 right now if you are white, try walking through any neighborhood in downtown Birmingham without injury or probably death.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  13. RealGatorFan

Apr 3, 2007
    I watch enough of his crap and after about 5 minutes I can't stand it. He routinely does his shtick with vulgar language (and I know being on HBO gives him a ton of leeway). He does sometimes go after liberals but only when they haven't been acting liberal. But the issue is too much of his rhetoric is against conservatives and considering he's also atheist, had tends to slap God when the opportunity presents itself. But I will say he's easier to tolerate than Samantha Bee, who utterly is the worst of all of them. She is all about shock factor and her show skirts the line of what is allowed on TV.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  14. VAg8r1

VAg8r1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    I would agree that Mahr tends to be over the top with obscenities. As far as going after liberals rather than saying when they haven't been acting liberal it would be more accurate to say that Mahr has gone after liberals when they have been intolerant so what you were saying is that tolerance of opposing views is a liberal value. As far as religion is concern I agree that Mahr has gone over the top. He has also pointed out that ISIS is an example of religion amok as is the Westboro Baptist Church or anti-abortionists that have committed murders.

15. rivergator

Apr 8, 2007
    Maybe Hyperwave will come back with a well-thought-out reason why he called SPLC a hate group. Give him a chance.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 2
  16. Bazza

Bazza GC Hall of Fame

Jan 2, 2009
    New Smyrna Beach
    [​IMG]

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  17. philobeddoe

philobeddoe Premium Member

Apr 11, 2007
    There's big $$ in identifying real and fabricating faux "hate groups" ….. nearly half billion $$s

Financial Information

The Southern Poverty Law Center is a tax-exempt, charitable organization incorporated in 1971 under section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code. All contributions, grants and bequests are tax deductible. Our tax identification number is 63-0598743.

Our work is supported primarily through donor contributions. We do not receive or use government funds. During the last fiscal year, approximately 68% of our total expenses were spent on program services. At the end of the fiscal year, our endowment – a special, board-designated fund established to support our future work – stood at $432.7 million. We are proud of the stewardship of our resources.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Creative Creative x 1
  18. philobeddoe

philobeddoe Premium Member

Apr 11, 2007
    • Winner Winner x 3
  19. nobbqsauce

nobbqsauce Junior

Nov 21, 2018
    Broad brush much?

• Winner Winner x 1
  20. mdgator05