Welcome home, fellow Gator

...to the Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Sound Bars

Discussion in 'Gator Bytes' started by GatorNavy, Feb 18, 2018.

1. GatorNavy

GatorNavy Damn the torpedoes! Moderator Premium Member

Apr 9, 2007
    Space Coast
    I have a surround sound receiver that has an XBox and cable box attached. I am considering simplifying things and replacing the receiver with a sound bar. 3.1 would be fine for us, but do like quality sound. I was looking for advice from anyone knowledgeable. Thanks.

2. BLING

BLING GC Hall of Fame

Apr 16, 2007
    Soundbars can't really compare to a true 5.1 or 7.1 surround setup hooked up via an amp, and most of the ones that offer rear surround speakers connected to some type of wireless rear receiver offer really poor rear speakers - even if the package itself is expensive. Not even sure that type of thing is worth it at all. If you are currently running 6" or 8" speakers to your amp, if your existing speakers are decent you will notice that your soundbar is only 2" or 3" speakers and isn't giving you the same channel separation.

That being said, if you aren't going for huge sound (only replacing an existing stereo setup) and don't care about having a true surround experience, any decent soundbar and sub should do just fine for movie watching and games. I've had good luck with Yamaha, but not sure that matters. I'm sure Samsung or Klipsch would be just fine. Probably want to stay from super cheap ones like Insignia or store brands. My several years old one currently only hooks up via optical, but if I was getting a new one I'd make sure it had pass through for 3 HDMI sources. Even now, they still sell soundbars that don't do HDMI passthrough - which is sort of baffling to me.

• Like Like x 1
  3. GatorNavy

Apr 9, 2007
    Space Coast
    This is the sort of feedback I am interested in. There is nothing wrong with my surround sound receiver, but the sound bar option intrigued me. Might be able to reduce equipment, etc. Some of the sound bar systems like sonos and atmos are expensive, too.

4. demosthenes

demosthenes Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    There are some Dolby Atmos sound bar with wireless sub and rear speakers setups that are nice but you'll pay through the nose for a good one.

I understand the need to simplify though. Most receivers are absolute overkill for 99% of consumers.

5. GatorNavy

Apr 9, 2007
    Space Coast
    I was at a Best Buy a few years ago and heard the Sonos Sound Bar. It was impressive. What stopped me then was that it required the TV to pass thru 5.1 thru the optical connection and my TV at the time did not do that. Now my interest is rekindled in the sound bar thing so all input is appreciated.

6. Potzer01

Potzer01 Premium Member

Mar 26, 2008
    I like to match the tv brand with the sound bar brand as then the tvs remote usually controls both.

i dont consider a sound bar a true hifi solution, they sure are convenient though.

7. demosthenes

demosthenes Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Generally unnecessary with HDMI-CEC. Your tv will turn on the sound bar and control its volume through the connection.

8. WhattaGator

WhattaGator All Along The Watchtower Moderator VIP Member

I have an RCA 32" soundbar. (I also have a surround sound system that I downsized from.

I can crank it up enough to have my neighbors yelling at me to turn it down, but it retains its fidelity.

Funny thing is I bought it on "LetGo" for 25 bucks from a guy that was going to buy a surround sound system :)

9. GatorNavy

Apr 9, 2007
    Space Coast
    I was having trouble with the center channel intermittently dropping out while watching surround sound stuff. It was extremely annoying because most dialogue is center channel.

Research on surround sound/sound bars led me to rewire my components. Instead of using the receiver as the hub for my XBox and cable box, I changed it so the components go to the TV and only sound goes to the receiver via an optical digital cable.

Everything works great now. I used to use the XBox for Netflix and Prime, but now use the TV apps. An added bonus is that I now have 4K available from the TV. All is good now.