Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

sorry, but becky needs to go

Discussion in 'Alligator Alley (other sports)' started by buckeyegator, Nov 7, 2020.

1. buckeyegator

buckeyegator Premium Member

Oct 29, 2007
    gainesville, florida
    overstayed her welcome, this team is a joke, need new, more current to the players blood in the staff, just my opinion.

• Like Like x 1
  2. BigIgator25

BigIgator25 Premium Member

Oct 6, 2012
    charlotte
    I have been saying that for 3 years now

3. gtr2x

gtr2x GC Hall of Fame

Aug 21, 2007
    Heard she had a good incoming freshman class, not a soccer guy so no clue on the specific shortcomings, but this freefall counties a bad trend.

4. apkgator

apkgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Blown out by Missouri 5-2 today. Missing some key players, but this is still just abysmal.

• Agree Agree x 3
  5. gatorjjh

gatorjjh A Gator with a Glass half full attitude Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl

6. apkgator

apkgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    6 straight losses, most in program history

• Informative Informative x 2
  7. BigIgator25

BigIgator25 Premium Member

Oct 6, 2012
    charlotte
    we have not even been competitive against other bottom dwellers in the SEC..the mildcats and Mizzu both waxed us. We are officially the worst program in the league right now. I know very little about the game of soccer, I think Becky is a wonderful person. But we cant keep living on a championship from over 20 years ago. I am interested in Keltics thoughts since he has been vocal about us not getting anyone better then her in previous years. I have been advocating myself that there needed to be a change 4 years ago. Not because I knew better, just travel soccer coaches and players just thinking our program has become stale and we just dont connect well with young players very well.

• Like Like x 1
  8. apkgator

apkgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    It's certainly been on the edge for a while now.....but she has always managed to salvage the season or at least show some promise. But last year and this season have been it for me. IMO we are now just letting the hole get deeper and deeper the longer we wait to take action. I keep thinking Becky will step aside, maintain the good will she has most definitely earned during her tenure. You never want to fire an icon that created the program, but you can't let the program be destroyed honoring that creator.
    Tough situation

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. missourigator

missourigator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 13, 2007
    Who would we hired to take her place?

10. bgator85

bgator85 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Sarasota
    If Burleigh is allowed to continue past this season I question whether we are still serious about being one of the premier all sports programs in the country. I know Becky is well liked, but this level of play should be unacceptable at UF.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. buckeyegator

Oct 29, 2007
    gainesville, florida
    can we dream of abby or danielle?

12. apkgator

apkgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Not always safe to assume a former great player will be a great coach. Danielle is in her 11th year at Eckerd, record is a pretty dismal 68-98, and it's even worse in conference....a lot of their wins are against lesser programs that travel to Florida before conference play begins (this year they got wins vs Colorado Christian, Florida College, and Frostburg St before hitting a wall in conference play)

13. buckeyegator

Oct 29, 2007
    gainesville, florida
    was she not at lsu?

14. apkgator

apkgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Was there with her husband briefly about 15-20 years ago. She actually assisted at UF after that.....but been at Eckerd since 2010

15. buckeyegator

Oct 29, 2007
    gainesville, florida
    showed some fight, beat kentucky 6-5 last night in the sec tournament.

16. traubgator

traubgator GC Legend

Apr 8, 2007
    2nd half of kentucky game was fantastic.

Not sure what's going on with Florida soccer, but hate to say, quality of the players has dipped. We struggle to complete passes from the midfield, constantly give the ball away.
    Horrible defensive shape at times.

Hate to say it also, we look like a poorly coached team. Team lacks basic soccer fundamentals - inability to settle a ball and play a simple ball to your teammates feet.
    Teams a possession based team without the players to keep possession. Also, Besides Rose, no player is dangerous in the final third and has been like that since Savannah Jordan left.

Very Painful to watch given the volume of talent in Florida and just north in Georgia.
    Hopefully becky stops focusing so much on fitness (if she still does), and goes back to the basics of soccer. I don't care how fit you are if, you can't trap a ball consistently and keep the ball in play.
    The keeper also must have played 5 balls played back to her out of bounds. We just constantly give the ball away.

Womens soccer is getting tougher though, pace of play is getting hectic like the mens game. With the sub rules, players come in and can run around like crazy people for 10 minutes and then leave the game. Its' becoming a different game. But it's hard to sit back and watch and see what FSU is doing, and we are 14th in the league right now, barely holding on for 2-3 years in a row now. Seems UCF has passed us also, and we are now 3rd fiddle in the state behind FSU and UCF.

I'm not advocating for becky to be fired -- but the magic is gone. maybe bring in a young innovative assistant, try something new.

And my comments are based upon the last few seasons, this season obviously had many covid obstacles and those issues effected every team in the league.

I just know how hard it is to get recruited by a school like florida, I'm just not seeing the high end quality.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. swampgas44

swampgas44 Junior

Feb 1, 2012
    Danielle's daughter is on the team.

• Informative Informative x 1
  18. apkgator

apkgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Forgot that....don't think she has set foot on the field in 2 years

19. buckeyegator