Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!
  1. Folks, some of you have asked if we were trimming our forums since there are no sports at the moment. We’re going to keep everything open on the forums to provide a sense of normalcy here. It’s our hope Gator Country can be a place of comfort for you during these crazy times. Be safe my friends and take care. -Ray and the GC staff. GO GATORS IN AL KINDS OF WEATHER!

PS. If you happen to find yourself in tight financial circumstances with regards to renewing here please reach out to us. We’d be happy to help sort it out.

Sorry, but 20-16 is just not good enough

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by ekfornam, Mar 23, 2019.

1. wci347

wci347 GC Hall of Fame

My complaints are basic. MW knee the front problems long before he recruited for this year. Gak has been a question mark, Stokes was never a guarantee. C. Johnson had shown his vulnerabilities. Stone’s heart was never really in the game his entire career (one of the best talents we’ve had here that for some reason chose to crawl rather than walk and run). Hayes was our best option and made substantial strides to become average. But average as you know is not good enough.

Then you have Bassett who because of lack of playing time and being relegated, has the confidence of someone that no one has confidence in.

Mike White knew what he was dealing with and only signed 1 (ONE) big in this class.

Now he is scrambling to find a grad transfer or next year will be more of the same.

More of the same translates to coaching searches at Florida.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  2. HayGator

HayGator Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Are you a retired Kindergarten teacher?

• Funny Funny x 2
  3. wci347

wci347 GC Hall of Fame

Thank God for Bassett and his family it is not want MW wants. This is not a plantation system. MAGA only works when all Americans benefit equally not just a select few!

4. wci347

wci347 GC Hall of Fame

No! But I do have a four year old pre K grandson who has a much more profound ability to grasp basic concepts than some of the people on these boards do.

5. akaGatorhoops

akaGatorhoops VIP Member GC Columnist

Apr 10, 2007
    Ok ... again, he signed the 11-rated center in the country.
    And as you have expressed, there is likelihood that we have improved depth, skill and health in our front court next season... so much so you are advising Bassett to move on.

So what this translates to is you lamenting past failures.... none of which Id really disagree with. But again... our disconnect is my lack of interest in looking back and complaining.

• Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
  6. wci347

wci347 GC Hall of Fame

Past failures give way to present failures if the cause of the failure is not addressed.

We are losing Hayes, Stone, C. Johnson, and Gak (4 bigs) and are getting 1 in the recruiting class.

It is easy to attribute current conditions to the past but it takes a proficient head coach to address those conditions and rectify them.

4 for 1 is not a good exchange rate.

7. akaGatorhoops

akaGatorhoops VIP Member GC Columnist

Apr 10, 2007
    Beyond being factually incorrect, your position remains eluvode.

Here, you seem to be implying we will have shortage.

But in the same thread you suggest Bassett leave because of too many players ahead of him.

Above, you seem to lament players lost... but aren’t they the same ones not good enough?

I’m not being a wise ass ... but I honestly can’t figure out your position. It’s not making sense to me.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. 407king

407king GC Hall of Fame

Dec 8, 2018
    Aren't we getting at least 2 bigs? Payne and Jitoboh

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. HayGator

HayGator Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Ha! I see you edited your post. I was
    You miss the commit this morning? He may not contribute until year two but 3 of the 4 you listed above weren't going to contribute much either. And you are assuming we are done bringing in help for next year?

• Informative Informative x 1
  10. jeffphillips21

jeffphillips21 VIP Member

Jun 20, 2009
    Vancouver
    If MW in fact knew he was starting the season depleted, what was he supposed to do? This isn't the NBA where you can go in the market and get a player under contract the next day. You have to recruit, sign and hope they have immediate eligibility. Most if not virtually ALL players in Aug/Sep or whatever late date you're referring to before the season started are going to be committed to another team. So who were we supposed to get? Also those injured players are on scholarship so unless we boot them off the team for being injured (which is a suicidal strategy for the program), there are no scholarships to offer - which lowers our ability to get last minute talent even further.

So I don't at all get what White should have done in that situation. Injuries, etc are fluid situations, each injury is different and each kid recovers differently. How was he to truly know? It's easy in hindsight to blame White, but I don't know what you would have really expected him to do.

• Winner Winner x 2
  11. gatorbogey

gatorbogey Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    s. e. florida
    He’s bi-polar. Or schizoid. It permeates his posts repeatedly. I tried to point it out to him. It’s a lost cause, evidently. He’s got a blind spot for his own contradictions and illogic.

Watch out, soon, he’ll label you a kindergartner. Ha!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  12. gatortenor37

gatortenor37 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 29, 2016
    Arkansas
    Gak is not gone. What?

Last edited: Mar 28, 2019
  13. bakaduin

bakaduin VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Wait....who said Gak was transferring?
    Plus we just landed Jitoboh....so your math is off..

Last edited: Mar 29, 2019
  14. jhbyrd

jhbyrd GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    It is how good the player is. Zion is 6-7.

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
  15. WESGATORS

WESGATORS Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Ok, great, I thought I missed something.

Go GATORS!
    ,WESGATORS

16. wci347

wci347 GC Hall of Fame

Now maybe you are seeing the picture clearly. Given a 6'11" player who can come in and clog up the middle like no one else we've had in 10 years at Florida or Bassett, whom do you think it is wiser to task with that responsibility Jitoboh or Bassett. Jitoboh also seems to be a better shot blocker and a better rebounder with better hands. So Bassett will play behind the freshmen Payne and Jitoboh as well as the sophomores Stokes and Gak. Why would anyone relegate himself to 5th big when he can start somewhere else?

I think my comments are a tribute to how the light has finally come on for MW. He CANNOT CANNOT win in college basketball with the majority of his main players 6'6" and under. The casualties of this reality are Okauru because MW had to upgrade what was already superior talent in Okauru, Ballard (who was streaky but an asset to the team) and Bassett who got time by default not by demonstrating what I believe to be a much more substantial all around game.

MW is getting proven commodities who when healthy will be able to compete immediately for the SEC Championship. Lewis and Johnson on the same floor are an outright nightmare to opposing teams. They are like Jordan and Barkley playing on the same team. Nembhard is one of the best point guards in America and Locke when healthy is probably one of the top ten sharp shooters in the NCAA. Mann is a blue chipper that can spell Nembhard, Locke and probably even Lewis if necessary.

So now White adds Payne and Jitoboh and hopefully gets a healthy, Stokes and Gak. There is no room for Bassett on this team. White would be better off trying to get a backup 2, a back up 3 and another 6'9" player whom he can develop but can contribute meaningful minutes. That would give us 12 scholarship players. White has the luxury of not having to get 4 star talent to back up Lewis or Locke. He can get people under the radar who have the talent but were overlooked or get grad transfers willing to play a role.

17. wci347

wci347 GC Hall of Fame

I have been very busy as you might have noticed from my absence. But I think the light has finally gone on for MW. Two players in this class are bigs who know their role. Stone never knew his role. Ballard never knew his role. Okauru never knew his role. Bassett filled in for people but never developed as a go to guy or a defensive stopper. Hayes did. He hung in there. I don't see that happening for Bassett with Payne, Jitoboh, Gak, Stokes and Johnson all likely playing ahead of him.

18. wci347

wci347 GC Hall of Fame

This is a great recruiting class with Lewis, Mann and Payne and now Jitoboh. At the start of the season, Gak was a question mark, Stokes was a question mark, C. Johnson was a question mark, Stone and Hayes were seniors. That is 5 players who were bigs who either were not going to be with you next year or who had questionable injuries that would render them unable to play or play up to their capability. As it turned out he lost 2 seniors and three of the other bigs were UNABLE to contribute. He knew this long before the recruiting period was over. Yet despite that prior knowledge, White landed only one person bigger than 6'6" until he got Jitoboh.

Stop making excuses! His actions in getting Jitoboh show that he is righting the mistakes he has clearly made in recruiting. Now that we have had a wave of transfers, our needs have changed to a back up 2, back up 3 and a back up point. Let's see how he handles this with what is left out of HS, grad transfer or transfer portal.

19. potomacgator

potomacgator All American

Apr 8, 2007
    Stone was not a senior.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. gatortenor37

gatortenor37 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 29, 2016
    Arkansas
    @wci347, Do you talk to yourself often?

• Like Like x 2