Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Sometimes I don't know what to feel

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by Gatorhead, Jan 29, 2020.

1. Gatorhead

Gatorhead GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Philadelphia
    About this team.

Todd Rundgren - Something Anything

2. bigDgator

bigDgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Well we are at a bit of a crossroad. We can be a middlin' SEC team or we can move up and be a blue blood, it really is whatever the people that support the program will tolerate. Example, Football. We demand to compete for SEC and national titles. We hired a coach and paid him a top 10 salary. Example, Women's Basketball. We tolerate pretty much whatever kind of team they roll out. No one complains too much. We hired a coach I had never heard of.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  3. gatorbogey

gatorbogey GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    s. e. florida
    It’s all about investment.
    Financial. Sweat. Time. Engagement. when you invest in something, you nurture and cultivate it (more). We have never had much investment as a fan base in WBK.

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. tegator80

tegator80 GC Hall of Fame

May 29, 2007
    Richmond, VA
    Until further notice, we are a middling program. We can and should get into post-season tournaments but to get to the Final Four? Going to take something we haven't seen yet.

And to add to the discussion, I am not sure our path to elite would have been any better with Donovan. We remember his "take no prisoners" approach to recruiting early in his career and the back-to-back NCs. But the college game - recruiting-wise - changed and he was getting Patric Young and Kasey Hill. Perennial NCAA tournament? sure. Real contender? Most likely still on the outside looking in.

Billy went to the NBA for a reason and it was not just about trying out his system. He was getting damn tired of the mess known as major college basketball.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. KAGator67

KAGator67 GC Hall of Fame

Feb 2, 2011
    I know what to feel... We have a bunch of highly skilled players ... but the coach hasn't come up with the correct formula for meshing them as a team.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. thenazz

thenazz Junior

Sep 4, 2017
    Albuquerque
    I feel kind crappy ... but a Todd reference always cheers me up! For the rest of the season, I'm singing "Pretending to Care."

Last edited: Jan 29, 2020
  7. thenazz

thenazz Junior

Sep 4, 2017
    Albuquerque
    Everyone forgets there were rumblings about Billy D now and then.

• Agree Agree x 3
  8. regurgigator

regurgigator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Seattle area

Now and then...and more.

There was a poster with a name something like UF-Alum who was always posting about getting rid of Billy. Haven't see anything from him in years. Hope he didn't succumb to the prostate he also talked about all the time.

• Like Like x 1
  9. incoldblood

incoldblood GC Legend

Nov 30, 2016
    Often, I do.

10. 33hoop

33hoop VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Lexington, KY
    Did Billy make mistakes? Of course he did but most knowledgeable basketball fans could see that he was an excellent coach and never called for his firing. White on the other hand is a different story. I honestly can’t say that he gives me hope of reaching a level of coaching that will move this program forward. Too many issues that never get resolved to keep expecting things to improve or change. Sometimes you just have to accept that in order for things to change, a new coach will need to be brought in to right the ship.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. gatorbogey

gatorbogey GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    s. e. florida
    Who is on your short list of coaches you hope AD SS pursues?

12. 33hoop

33hoop VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Lexington, KY
    I honestly don’t have a list. I know the qualities that I would look for in potential candidates but don’t have “must have” person in mind. I think it needs to be someone that has ran a program of this caliber and has had success doing it. Can’t afford to take a chance on another up and comer at this point. Another miss and it would set the program back too far and it would be hard to attract another quality coach if that happened. Florida can still get a really good coach to take over if they don’t let our current situation continue for another season or two. But I’m afraid that’s exactly what will happen. Guess we will see if SS is worth his salt or not.